Deeper integration with SharePoint and Microsoft Teams

Contributor

I wrote an article recently stating that Microsoft Teams is the future of Microsoft collaboration. I think what your team have done for team collaboration is a great step in the right direction. Other teams at Microsoft are also taking great steps too. One such initiative is the SharePoint Framework and Modern Pages.

What efforts are in place to allow me to add a tab for a SharePoint Modern Page? Also to pin this as the default landing page when I navigate to a Team or Channel. And to have a Microsoft Teams web part on the page. Thus giving me a dashboard. 

This ask did happen for Office 365 Groups when it first came out also and was never achieved. I think your team has the chance to do this too...rather than build your own page extensibility model.

9 Replies
Hi Jeremy - Thank you for sharing the article, just bookmarked it.

Today, you can pin any URL to a channel. So if you have the URL of a page, you should be able to hoist it to your channel. You can also pin an entire Sharepoint site to your channel.

I have actually tried to use the SharePoint Page URL in a Tab and it doesn't work. Basically the page never loads. Normal public pages work absolutely fine...

I can add a tab with a Modern team site using a modern page.  Not sure why it wouldn't be working for you. 

Update here... I now seem to get an login box in Microsoft Teams app on macOS. I could see it was an auth thing before. Looks like they've fixed whatever the issue was! Godo job guys!

I'd still like to know how we can change what the default Tab is for a Team/Channel.

I would still want the default tab to be conversations. All Tabs, Connectors and Bots centre around Chat as the hub. Why would you want to make a team site the home tab for a channel?

Think of it like a landing page for that team. You may not want it to drop right into Conversations. If you can have a SharePoint page with a conversations web part, you get the best of both worlds.

I would also argue that "All tabs" center around chat. I can see a lot of scenarios where you'd want the chat window open and another tab at the same time. Rather than havign to context switch. Imagine the SharePoint page tab being the way to do that by using Web Parts on a dashboard.

hmm. that's an interesting idea. Can you post teh default landing page request on UserVoice https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public ? I am curious if this is something a lot of users want.