SOLVED

Stream Classic Migration Tool - do videos in Stream (Classic) get deleted after migration?

MVP

The documentation seems to imply that they'd be removed from Stream (Classic) after the migration, but in my testing that doesn't seem to be the case.

17 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Kevin Crossman : there was regression in Stream (Classic), where the videos were not hiding after they were migrated (we hide or soft delete in Classic and hard delete after 180 days of migration) . This bug was introduced in early Jan due to our upstream dependencies on a platform. It had been fixed & roll out completed early this week on all clusters. You shouldn't see this bug now. Also, the videos that you migrated will not longer be visible on Classic. Do let us know if this is otherwise. 

Yes, now I am noticing that those migrated videos aren't visible. Thanks for clarifying.

@varun_taneja 

It's March now and we've just started running a few test migrations.  We're seeing the classic videos are visible after migration to Stream (on SharePoint).  Have there been any further regressions since it seems this was fixed end of January?

@Kelly Meyer : we had discovered another bug which had similar symptoms. Check the 1st one in the list and its ETA as well.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/migration-tool-release-logs#bugs

@varun_taneja Great to know - thank you for the link and quick reply.

Hi varun, Is this still an issue? I have migrated a few hundred videos this week and the videos remain visible in Stream classic and are not redirecting.

The bugs page seems to confirm it is still an issue - I'm mostly curious if the videos I already migrated will eventually redirect.

@varun_taneja 

Thanks!

Hi!
I have the same situation when I Migrate test container.
Redirects don't works and Videos are still available on Stream Classic.
Hi @rakova17 - I'm not from MS, but my understanding from 'MS Customer Connection' calls is that once the bug is fixed (!) any videos that were previously migrated but were not deleted from Classic and/or are not redirecting, will 'self-correct'. Of course, that still remains to be seen since bug fix is still pending - I'm personally a 'seeing is believing' personality :).

@rakova17 Hi Ive been migrating videos for a while now and still have videos showing in stream classic even after having been migrated.  It's very frustrating as when I scan for any new videos to tidy up what's left, it's bringing up work I've already done.  I noted you said it was a bug that's been fixed.  It doesn't appear to be fixed.  Please advise.

@bernytubberty - yes agree it's frustrating. Stay informed by watching the MS page @rakova17 suggested to get the most current information (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/migration-tool-release-logs#migration-tool-known-...). According to this article, June 30 is when MS plans to provide A DATE when the 3 bugs(!) that comprise Issue 1 are expected to have a fix. June 30 is NOT the date when the fix will necessarily be available. Also, you might want to look into the Stream Migration Customer Connections calls hosted by MS ( https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/connect#special-edition-ccoh-stream-classic-migration-tool ).

@rakova17 apologies. Sorry I didn't pay attention properly. :) 

and now it's been pushed back further...smh

yes September 30... argh.

I do not dare run the migration until then.

Is there is a way to view Stream Classic videos (or view some metadata like number of views) after migration? So in the Soft hidden/deleted "channel" in Stream Classic.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Kevin Crossman : there was regression in Stream (Classic), where the videos were not hiding after they were migrated (we hide or soft delete in Classic and hard delete after 180 days of migration) . This bug was introduced in early Jan due to our upstream dependencies on a platform. It had been fixed & roll out completed early this week on all clusters. You shouldn't see this bug now. Also, the videos that you migrated will not longer be visible on Classic. Do let us know if this is otherwise. 

View solution in original post