SOLVED

Problems with Stream on Sharepoint

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

Ok, so maybe I'm missing something, but I am already not in love with the new Stream on Sharepoint. It has literally taken everything away that we liked about Stream classic. Maybe I'm missing some of these features and can be enlightened on an easier way to find them, but if they are that hard to find, they aren't accessible.

1. When you click upload, you do not get the box to add all options at once- title, description, etc. You have to wait until after it uploads, then go to the video, and do it there.

2. There is no file upload confirmation. You get a box that says "preparing to upload" or "uploading file" then it just disappears. It doesn't go to a page where you can see the video, and it doesn't show up in the list right away, and when it does, you have to search for it. I didn't realize it was uploading and therefore put the same video in 3 times, which brings me to the next problem.

3 . You can't delete videos from sharepoint. You have to click the three dots, select Open, then open file location, then you have to find the file again, and then you can delete it, and the file doesn't have the new name you gave it in Sharepoint. Why go through so many hoops just to delete a video??

4. There is no trim! While any significant editing can be done in a video editing software, the ability to just trim off the dead silence or wait time in the beginning or end was a great and easy feature.

5. There is no organization! Again- within Stream on Sharepoint itself, there is no way to create folders, channels, anything. I just see ALL the videos. Mine and anyone else's. The filter options are limited, and don't help much. I have hundreds of videos. I should be able to organize them. Again, I would have to LEAVE Stream, go to another area of Microsoft, Teams, etc and THEN create a folder, group, etc, and then FIND the videos in the long list of files to add them. It's insanity.

At the end of the day, Stream on Sharepoint is a headache and a hassle and being forced to move to it (eventually) is extremely frustrating.

12 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@legendarylibrarian - I'm sorry that you aren't finding Stream (on SharePoint) as useful as Stream (Classic) was. The two are very different models even though they share the same name. If you are interested you can watch our Ignite video where we explain the reasoning behind this change and try and show all the advantages of using videos directly in M365 (SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive, Yammer) instead of a separate siloed solution like Stream (Classic). I would encourage you to watch this video for a fuller picture: https://youtu.be/nCOGbjeOfcs

I appreciate your feedback thank you for sharing it. We'll make sure to include it as we do future planning and changes. 

1. When you click upload, you do not get the box to add all options at once- title, description, etc. You have to wait until after it uploads, then go to the video, and do it there.

You are right we don't have this today. It's something we are thinking about but don't have a timeline to share when this might be available.

2. There is no file upload confirmation. You get a box that says "preparing to upload" or "uploading file" then it just disappears. It doesn't go to a page where you can see the video, and it doesn't show up in the list right away, and when it does, you have to search for it. I didn't realize it was uploading and therefore put the same video in 3 times, which brings me to the next problem.

Great feedback, thanks. We are re-using the same experience as Excel, PPT, Word in office.com / Microsoft 365, we haven't yet customized it for Stream. So unfortunately, this is the way it works in the office.com experiences, but I agree with you that it needs improvements.

Remember that you don't have to come to "Stream" to upload. Most videos in M365 are not coming from Stream they are being uploaded directly to a folder in your ODB, a folder in your SharePoint library for your site, in the Files tab in Teams, or via a post from Yammer. Uploading directly where you access and deal with other files will give you a better experience today than going to the Stream start page. The intention of the Stream start page is more to get back to videos shared with you or recently opened. Over time we'll improve it for upload too. 

3 . You can't delete videos from sharepoint. You have to click the three dots, select Open, then open file location, then you have to find the file again, and then you can delete it, and the file doesn't have the new name you gave it in Sharepoint. Why go through so many hoops just to delete a video??

Similar to #2 you'll have better experience if you manage files directly from the library in SharePoint, your files in OneDrive on the web, or the Files tab in Teams than in the Stream start page today. From the library or OneDrive web views you can delete and even take bulk actions. 

4. There is no trim! While any significant editing can be done in a video editing software, the ability to just trim off the dead silence or wait time in the beginning or end was a great and easy feature.

We hear you (and everyone else) on this feedback. We are working to bring clipchamp into M365 for enterprise which will bring full edit and trim capabilities sometime later in 2023. In addition, we are working on an idea for a simple way to hide content to make viewers not have to see dead silence or wait time in a video. There are already lots of votes and comments on the need for trim in our ideas portal: https://aka.ms/StreamIdeas 

5. There is no organization! Again- within Stream on Sharepoint itself, there is no way to create folders, channels, anything. I just see ALL the videos. Mine and anyone else's. The filter options are limited, and don't help much. I have hundreds of videos. I should be able to organize them. Again, I would have to LEAVE Stream, go to another area of Microsoft, Teams, etc and THEN create a folder, group, etc, and then FIND the videos in the long list of files to add them. It's insanity.

This goes back to the "Stream start page" not being the same as Stream (Classic). It's a start page to get back to recent videos and ones shared with you. The same as the start pages for PowerPoint, Word, or Excel. You need to use the SharePoint libaries in a Site or Files in Teams to organize your files including videos. To build video destinations that are close to what you had with Stream (Classic) groups and channels you do that with just simple folders in a libary or slightly more advanced with SP pages.  See these two articles:

At the end of the day, Stream on Sharepoint is a headache and a hassle and being forced to move to it (eventually) is extremely frustrating.

Thank you for sharing your feedback, experience, and thoughts. We know that this change will be difficult but we believe it has so many more advantages. But it does involve thinking about videos differently than how Stream (Classic) did in the past. It means you need to think about videos much more like you would handle other files in M365. We definitely have work to improve the Stream Start Page as using the base that's there for Excel, PowerPoint, Word in office.com doesn't seem to meet our users expectations. We will keep working toward improving this. 

Stream (on SharePoint) puts the video in an everyday workflow to help you create alignment and connection across hybrid and remote teams. All to enhance your experience with meeting recordings, corporate communications, and how-to videos. This session will show a range of new Stream (on ...

@Marc Mroz I'm pretty disappointed in the decision to pull stream UI back into sharepoint.  You should have kept the UI the same but had stream pull from sharepoint if you wanted storage backend consolidation. 

O365 has the "bunch of icons" problem, where only those who explore figure out what the random icons do.   It's been VERY easy to tell people that stream is "youtube for our internal videos" and embed, share, and tag those videos across our orginzation.

I don't want another bag of files in sharepoint, it hides videos behind a massive list and makes potentially good content undiscoverable.  

Being blunt, I ACTIVELY encourage people to NEVER upload videos to Teams.   Who would want to upload a video to Teams when it will be buried under hundreds of other chat messages in a few days?  I've never seen anyone across multiple companies use Yammer.  I don't have time to design an entire sharepoint site, I want to throw videos up and tag them together so if people want, they can dig deeper.

Stream Classic was discoverable, intuitive, and easy to use.   Full stop. 

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your input and understand that you have strong feelings about this change. However, we've gotten to this point after lots of discussion, learning, and analyzing how people used Stream (Classic). we have determined that integrating Stream with SharePoint is the best course of action for our users. We believe that this integration will provide a more cohesive experience for our users and improve the overall functionality of both platforms. While we understand that you may have concerns about the discoverability of videos in SharePoint, we will continue to work on improving the user experience and will take your feedback into account as we move forward. Thank you again for your thoughts on this matter.

@dlitsterq2  "It's been VERY easy to tell people that stream is "youtube for our internal videos" and embed, share, and tag those videos across our orginzation."

This is exactly how we use Stream as well. Extremely disappointed to see how Stream for Sharepoint is changing. It's a cluttered mess with no way to find finished videos. We want a platform that we can point people to find finished videos. Stream on sharepoint just piles together every video clip I have. Which is hundreds of gbs of footage! We want a video platform! Not just a video organization tool.

@cpease - Stream from the app launcher is not going to be a place for a top-down video portal, it's going to get back to your videos. You'll need to make a destination for your finished videos on top SharePoint using guides here: https://aka.ms/StreamPortals 

I understand the frustration and differences this is between the models of Stream (classic) and our new version. But it will offer you much more flexibility, power, and functionality than we ever could on Stream (classic). 

Hi @Marc Mroz  , Thank you for replying here.

So last week we moved to Stream on Sharepoint and its caused issues.
Performance is no where near, videos are laggy , pausing and jumping

If I try to go full in and make new SharePoint pages to act as galleries for depts/themes in the business there is no SharePoint web part saying Stream on SharePoint so I will just have to use the embedd?

Admins tell us they have no option to delay this until July 2024 which I was sure was mentioned on forums and videos before? Am I wrong there?

The lack of trim and organisation is a pain. Yes we can use the inbuilt video app on Win10, its just more effort for comms parts of the business :(

Any help appreciated thank you Marc

What flexibility, power, and functionality does stream have now that is any different than just using onedrive?

I discovered just now that I can no longer upload a video to Stream Classic, and I can't post to our video channel for specific meetings. This is not useful - why would this be changed? I am seeing only one big huge dump with no organization.

@vachermc that’s basically what it is. A giant catch all for every video clip in your organization.

Stream SharePoint is very underwhelming. Just seems like normal sharepoint with stream addded on.
This change has ruined our video archive. We are actively seeking an alternative to Stream for our corporate videos. Stream Classic was very easy to manage for our media department who are not Microsoft SharePoint experts.

@Anthony Robinson I would be interested in hearing more why storing videos in SharePoint libraries doesn’t work for your media team. If they manage all the files from SP UI and not the Stream start page I would have imagined that would give them more than they could do in Stream (Classic). And then to feature videos for viewers they build a few SP pages with web parts. 

I’d welcome more feedback and like to better understand what pains there are for your team and organization. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@legendarylibrarian - I'm sorry that you aren't finding Stream (on SharePoint) as useful as Stream (Classic) was. The two are very different models even though they share the same name. If you are interested you can watch our Ignite video where we explain the reasoning behind this change and try and show all the advantages of using videos directly in M365 (SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive, Yammer) instead of a separate siloed solution like Stream (Classic). I would encourage you to watch this video for a fuller picture: https://youtu.be/nCOGbjeOfcs

I appreciate your feedback thank you for sharing it. We'll make sure to include it as we do future planning and changes. 

You are right we don't have this today. It's something we are thinking about but don't have a timeline to share when this might be available.

Great feedback, thanks. We are re-using the same experience as Excel, PPT, Word in office.com / Microsoft 365, we haven't yet customized it for Stream. So unfortunately, this is the way it works in the office.com experiences, but I agree with you that it needs improvements.

Remember that you don't have to come to "Stream" to upload. Most videos in M365 are not coming from Stream they are being uploaded directly to a folder in your ODB, a folder in your SharePoint library for your site, in the Files tab in Teams, or via a post from Yammer. Uploading directly where you access and deal with other files will give you a better experience today than going to the Stream start page. The intention of the Stream start page is more to get back to videos shared with you or recently opened. Over time we'll improve it for upload too. 

Similar to #2 you'll have better experience if you manage files directly from the library in SharePoint, your files in OneDrive on the web, or the Files tab in Teams than in the Stream start page today. From the library or OneDrive web views you can delete and even take bulk actions. 

We hear you (and everyone else) on this feedback. We are working to bring clipchamp into M365 for enterprise which will bring full edit and trim capabilities sometime later in 2023. In addition, we are working on an idea for a simple way to hide content to make viewers not have to see dead silence or wait time in a video. There are already lots of votes and comments on the need for trim in our ideas portal: https://aka.ms/StreamIdeas 

This goes back to the "Stream start page" not being the same as Stream (Classic). It's a start page to get back to recent videos and ones shared with you. The same as the start pages for PowerPoint, Word, or Excel. You need to use the SharePoint libaries in a Site or Files in Teams to organize your files including videos. To build video destinations that are close to what you had with Stream (Classic) groups and channels you do that with just simple folders in a libary or slightly more advanced with SP pages.  See these two articles:

Thank you for sharing your feedback, experience, and thoughts. We know that this change will be difficult but we believe it has so many more advantages. But it does involve thinking about videos differently than how Stream (Classic) did in the past. It means you need to think about videos much more like you would handle other files in M365. We definitely have work to improve the Stream Start Page as using the base that's there for Excel, PowerPoint, Word in office.com doesn't seem to meet our users expectations. We will keep working toward improving this. 

View solution in original post

Stream (on SharePoint) puts the video in an everyday workflow to help you create alignment and connection across hybrid and remote teams. All to enhance your experience with meeting recordings, corporate communications, and how-to videos. This session will show a range of new Stream (on ...