SOLVED

How to highlight videos in a folder?

MVP
Ran into this question and can't seem to find a way to do it.

User has some videos in a specific folder in a SharePoint site. We can use File Viewer to add thumbnails of individual videos to a page highlighting these videos, but the user is asking if there's a way to simply point to the folder to show the list of videos in thumbnail (not "file list") format.

Previously, they could use Stream Classic to create a channel of videos and then add the channel to the page via the Stream Classic web part.

Is there a way to do this?
4 Replies
The closest I have been able to do is to create a view that includes "Thumbnail" as a column. You can also use the highlighted Web Part to point to the folder and get a thumbnail list.
Thanks. You can specify thumbnail in a view? Had not realized that was even possible.
Edit current view and "Thumbnail' should be in the list of optional columns. (Its frustrating we can't add images to this forum.)
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Kevin Crossman - I need to write up a better help doc. I have sort of answered this in this help doc: https://support.microsoft.com/office/stream-on-sharepoint-vs-stream-classic-guide-1601aec0-49a1-48e1... in the "Organize videos into groups & channels" section. 

But let me expand some ideas ....

1. Simple folder - Just files
    1. Upload the videos directly to a folder, send link to the folder
  2. Simple folder - Tile view
    1. Upload the videos to a folder
    2. In the library view "All Documents" > Switch to "Tiles"
    3. Open the "All Documents" view and "Save view as", pick the same "All Documents" or make a new view
  3. Simple folder - Gallery view
    1.  Upload the videos to a folder
    2. In the library view "All Documents" > "Create a new view"
    3. Give it a name, Show as "Gallery", Create
    4. Click the view picker for the view you just made
    5. Format current view
    6. Click "Document Card Designer" > "Edit card"
    7. Add and remove whatever content you want on the card
    8. Set this new view as the default view (or send a link with this view selected)
  4. Highlighted content web part on a page (can use folder or metadata to group videos) 
    1. Follow this guide: Featuring a set of videos on a page - Microsoft Stream | Microsoft Learn
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Kevin Crossman - I need to write up a better help doc. I have sort of answered this in this help doc: https://support.microsoft.com/office/stream-on-sharepoint-vs-stream-classic-guide-1601aec0-49a1-48e1... in the "Organize videos into groups & channels" section. 

But let me expand some ideas ....

1. Simple folder - Just files
    1. Upload the videos directly to a folder, send link to the folder
  2. Simple folder - Tile view
    1. Upload the videos to a folder
    2. In the library view "All Documents" > Switch to "Tiles"
    3. Open the "All Documents" view and "Save view as", pick the same "All Documents" or make a new view
  3. Simple folder - Gallery view
    1.  Upload the videos to a folder
    2. In the library view "All Documents" > "Create a new view"
    3. Give it a name, Show as "Gallery", Create
    4. Click the view picker for the view you just made
    5. Format current view
    6. Click "Document Card Designer" > "Edit card"
    7. Add and remove whatever content you want on the card
    8. Set this new view as the default view (or send a link with this view selected)
  4. Highlighted content web part on a page (can use folder or metadata to group videos) 
    1. Follow this guide: Featuring a set of videos on a page - Microsoft Stream | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post