Hide Video-Settings & Help in embeded code

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to hide the "video-settings" and "help"-button in an embedded video?

I see that there are some parameters to control the embedded output, like &autoplay="" - is there a list of all available parameters somehwere?

7 Replies

@stefan-ko - The "Video settings" pane only shows to users that have edit access. If they have view access, they won't see "Video settings" at all. The "Help" pane is always there as it's needed to give access to help articles for key info like hotkeys for accessibility. And we'll eventually allow reporting of issues to Microsoft through that help pane in embed as well so we can make sure that if users have buffering or playback issues, we can collect logs to analyze.  

Hi Marc,
Thank you. Another thing is the quality settings for embeded videos. Can I force the embeded player to play a specific quality? I would like to view always in Full-HD.
No that's not possible. Our player tries to pick the "right" playback quality level based on a bunch of factors, like bandwidth for the user, size of the player, etc. We don't want to force a 1080p video when it's a waste of bandwidth. Why do you want to force the playback to always be Full-HD? What's the problem with how it works today? Or what's the use case you are trying to accomplish?

@Marc Mroz Hi Marc,

I know also video plattforms such as YouTube or Vimeo are using the Auto as default, but they give you the oportunity to force videos to be played at a certain quality.

The reason that feature would be an improvement is that - as it is now - users complain about bad video-quality allthough it is a high-bitrate Full-HD-video and the user's bandwith is very high. The reason might be that - as I've read in other posts - Microsoft Stream takes some seconds until the video is played in the best possible quality. 

As for the videos I am dealing with, these are mostly screencasts with a lot of details. Not beeing able to see these details - even if it is just for 5 seconds - may cause some users to quit viewing  after 2 seconds and start complaining. 

I am looking for the highest possible video-quality. If you have any best practices - that would be highly appreciated. As I see it, Microsoft Stream is transcoding the videos anyway. So what I am doing is uploading it with a very high bitrate. Is that the way to go or would it increase quality/ loading speed of the HD-version if I'd encoded it with a lower bitrate (e.g. a H.264, 6MBPS VB for a Full-HD video)?

>may cause some users to quit viewing after 2 seconds and start complaining. 
If it actually does cause users to do this and to actually complain then a simple FAQ about how Auto works would help.

@stefan-ko - I got an update from our player team. A few things are in development that might help a bit here...

1. We have a change in the pipeline that we'll clear the cache of the video after someone changes the quality setting on the player. So if the first few seconds aren't great and someone changes the player to 1080p and rewinds they'll re-download those segments in 1080p. Today we just send back the same lower quality version of the first few seconds.
  2. We have another change in the pipeline that uses a new browser API to judge what quality is appropriate for the user based on their bandwidth. This means that users shouldn't see anything lower than 480p in the beginning of the video unless their bandwidth is really low. 

@Marc Mroz 

That's great. Thank you for keeping me informed.