Embedding Stream videos outside Office environment

Copper Contributor

In Stream (Classic), users have the ability to generate embed (iframe) code. This enables users to embed the videos in environments outside the Office suite - such as in blogs and web sites. As an HE institution, we encourage our instructors to use this feature to embed the videos in their online courses. This is so students do not need to leave the LMS environment to view the videos. Has anyone seen whether or not an embed feature will be added to SharePoint and OneDrive for Business to replace the feature as it exists currently in Stream (Classic)?

28 Replies
We are working on rebuilding this feature for videos on SharePoint and OneDrive. It's not on the roadmap with a date yet but it's in progress.

That being said you can embed a video today using the embed.aspx URL. It will only work if you construct the URL or grab it with an API, and it doesn't automatically login or offer a sign in button if the user doesn't already have floating auth/cookies from M365 in the browser.

But here is a way to construct the embed.aspx URL using a custom doc library view formatting:
https://github.com/pnp/List-Formatting/tree/master/view-samples/get-video-file-embed-code

Or this API:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/driveitem-preview?view=graph-rest-1.0

@Marc MrozMany thanks. Everyone here will be relieved to know this is in the works!

Have there been any updates on this? We are trying to embed videos into our external LMS via Stream (Sharepoint) and iframes with no luck. The users gets a flashing login screen but never gets the video. The LMS has SSO via O365. So, you would think the authentication would have already taken place. The strange thing is, if the users goes to the sharepoint document library where the files are store he can see the files. Now he can go back and the video works. What are we missing? We are not using any shared links. The user is in the Sharepoints site visitor group which has read access to the whole site, including all the files.
Are you using the Embed feature that was added in Fall 2022 for videos stored in SharePoint?
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-on-sharepoint/get-embed-code-for-video-in-sh...

@Kevin Crossman  Yes that is where were are getting the iFrame code to use in the LMS. 

I would suggest opening a support case with Microsoft Support on that.
@williamdw , just wondering if you found a resolution for the flashing login screen issue? Our college is experiencing the same thing with Embed code url's for our Sharepoint/Stream videos in our Brightspace LMS. If the user chooses to copy the link and has it open in the LMS in a new window, it works fine. Just the embed code that's giving the flashing login screen error. Any ideas?

@KCormier no I have not. I do have an open Support ticket with Microsoft. They are asking for more information and I have not gotten back to them. I am on vacation this week. The info they asked for makes me think they have no idea (try another computer or network). I will let you know if we figure anything out or get any info from Microsoft.

We seem to have the same issue here.
In the classic stream embedding to our '3rd party intranet' works fine but trough Stream on Sharepoint we get the same flashing screen.

Now I'm no expert on webservers and stuff but I did some research and noticed the cookies for stream classic are being placed when there's embedded video on the page, when I embed trough stream on sharepoint the cookies aren't being placed.
Apparently there is a samesite cookie setting in sharepoint online that is not set to allow cookies to be placed when it's a third party webpage.

As it's in sharepoint online I don't think we're able to change these cookie settings.
I have opened a supportcase with Microsoft last week but did not yet get a response.

For now having people visiting the sharepoint before opening it through an iFrame will give a workaround as the cookies will then be placed.

We are experiencing this issue with embedding videos in Canvas - our learning management system. This means that we cannot use Stream on SharePoint for learning and teaching videos... such a shame as the acccessibility features are really quite good.

I have a ticket for this with microsoft, the responsetime is rediculous so I'm still waiting on a reply.
I have send them a video of the issue showing the issue is with the cookies not being placed.
I will post back here once I finaly do have a reply.
@Baardaap I too have an open ticket with MS and I am also having a horrible response. My ticket has been open since 1/6/23. I too have sent videos and even had a screen sharing session. They have not been able to figure out what is wrong or atleast have not told me anything. At one point they even tried to close the ticket. I would not let them do that. I also have sent them the link to this forum so they are aware it's more than one person having issue.

@Ron I just had a call with them after a week waiting since I send the video and their response is that they will not allow this kind of embedding trough sharepoint due to security reasons and that I should accept this as a solution. I have asked them to send me this in a witten response so I can maybe escalate the issue to our microsoft contact.

I did not yet receive the witten response (which i will copy here).

Any questions I had they did not want to or could not answer... Like why will we get a 'new' stream with less functionality.

@Baardaap This sounds alot like what they were trying to do to me. Everytime they tell me something stupid like that I asked them why they're on "how to - Embedding Stream content in third-party sites" article does not work. Microsoft is telling us this is how we are suppose to do this but it does not work. Priceless...
Ironically I got an update to my ticket right after I submitted the last post. All it said was "I am still awaiting feedback from the backend.".

Will let you know as soon as I hear anything else.
Thank you Ron and Baardaap for sharing your updates... sounds like a solution won't be provided in the near future.

Response from Microsoft. I can't say I agree with this statement as we're not trying to use 3rd party tools on sharepoint, we just need some changes to sharepoint to allow us to embed a 'sharepoint' page into another website. The website we want to embed the sharepoint on does not really 'interact' with sharepoint so it does not impact sharepoint's at all.

--

I Apologize for the delayed response.

Please note that SharePoint does not support the use of third-party tools. We understand that you may be interested in using third-party tools to enhance.

your SharePoint. experience, but unfortunately, SharePoint is not designed to support these types of tools.

There are a few reasons why SharePoint does not support third-party tools. First and foremost, SharePoint is a complex system that requires careful management.

and configuration. to ensure that it is secure, stable, and reliable. Third-party tools can introduce unpredictable behavior or security vulnerabilities.

that can compromise the integrity of the SharePoint environment.

Like you said that you are able embedded video through stream classic.

Stream Classic and SharePoint are two different platforms used for different purposes. Here is a brief overview of the differences between them:

Purpose: Stream Classic is a video hosting and streaming platform, while SharePoint is a collaboration and document management platform.

Features: Stream Classic is designed specifically for hosting, managing, and streaming videos. It includes features like automatic transcription and closed captions, video analytics,

and the ability to create video channels and playlists. SharePoint, on the other hand, includes a wide range of features for collaboration and document management, including document libraries, version control, workflows, and team sites.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any question regarding this support request.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks again for sharing this update Baardaap - the reply is incredibly disappointing as it indicates a lack of understanding on how Stream Classic has been used, and how organisations need to use video streaming. It is also indicates that the author doesn't realise perhaps that Stream on SharePoint does offer Closed Captions and Transcript in quite helpful ways.

Just so disappointing as this is a deal breaker .... why have a video streaming tool that prevents embedding due to a permissions issue ... hard to understand....
I guess Microsoft just expects us to use SharePoint...

I'm pretty sure they won't change the site settings of Sharepoint to allow embedding but maybe they can provide us with an alternate solution.

Tomorrow I'll have a call with our Microsoft accountmanager to see if he can help get to a solution.

Replied to support that I did not agree with their statement, current status is that they are 'relating this issue internally' and I will have word back 'as soon as we are done with our investigation'.

Also had a call with our Microsoft representative and she will try to escalate this internally as well.