SOLVED

Embed Stream content, workarounds and interim arrangements

Copper Contributor

First of all, I am massively pleased to see that the ability to get embed code for videos is now in development.  I have been looking at the workarounds on the roadmap for Stream (in SP) (this page (video playback section): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/features-new-version-stream ) and I was wondering how stable these are.  I suppose my main question is will the code they produce continue to work into the future and after the embed feature has been implemented?

To be clear here is the process that I have settled on as the quickest most "user friendly" approach and want to recommend to my colleagues as we start a new academic year:

• go to Stream.office.com 
  • click on a video to view it on its own page
  • get the URL for that page
  • change stream.aspx?id to embed.aspx?id 
  • use an iframe generator to add the necessary tags etc
  • hey presto

However, I will not be getting many birthday cards this year if that code suddenly stops working at some point in the next 12 months.

Is anyone able to give me any reassurance.

Dave

3 Replies
best response confirmed by davebarber (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes! Embed.aspx will be the way we embed videos going forward. The button in the ui that's under testing and should be released in a few months just composes a similar URL. It actually uses the document ID not the path but embed.aspx will always support both.
Hi Marc, that is great, thanks so much for getting back to me. So, when the feature is fully implemented we will expect to see something much more like the code produced by the Graph API with the filepath and unique ID. However, the code produced by the method described above will continue to work once this is implemented?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by davebarber (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yes! Embed.aspx will be the way we embed videos going forward. The button in the ui that's under testing and should be released in a few months just composes a similar URL. It actually uses the document ID not the path but embed.aspx will always support both.

View solution in original post