SOLVED

Where is content actually saved

Brass Contributor

I have put some videos in a group, and in a channle and the videos dont seem to actually be saved to the O365 group.

Where are they actually saved?

As an admin where can i go to review all videos?

As an admin where can i manage the space being used?

What happens to a video when the account of the uploader is terminated from the tenant?

Thanks

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Sean Boudreau (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Q: I have put some videos in a group, and in a channle and the videos dont seem to actually be saved to the O365 group. Where are they actually saved?

A: Can you explain what you did in Stream? Did you... In Stream go to your Group, make a channel, and then upload a video to the Channel in the Group in Stream?

Videos uploaded to Stream are stored in Stream not in the O365 group's file store. We need to store the videos seperate in Stream so we can enable large scale adaptive streaming of the videos (by leveraging Azure Media Services under the covers). Files uploaded to an O365 Group's files are stored in SharePoint Online directly. SPO does support video playback but it's not indended for large scale. With Stream you can send out a link to a video to everyone in the company and there wouldn't be any issues with scalability or thorttling. 

Q: As an admin where can i go to review all videos?

A: We don't have a admin area that lets you see all the videos. If a video is permissoined such that you can see it already, you'll be able to find it via Browse / Search. However if somoene sets permisions on the videos such that you can't see it, you won't find it in Stream directly. HOWEVER, if someone sends you a link to the video or channel you will be able to elevate yourself and edit/see that video as a Stream Admin.  See this article about "edit in admin mode": https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-entering-admin-mode/

Q: As an admin where can i manage the space being used?

A: We haven't implemented storage / quota management as an Admin yet. We will be doing this development soon to add the ability for the Stream Admins to see how much space is consumed and by what videos, etc.

Q: What happens to a video when the account of the uploader is terminated from the tenant?

A: Videos in Stream are really owned by the tenant itself. As such if an uploader is no longer part of the tenant those videos will remain in Stream and continue to function. As mentioned above the Stream Admin's can go in to videos that they aren't an owner of and change the permissons of the videos giving ownership of the video to other groups/people.

Thanks Marc,

I look forward to seeing quota/storage managment feature.

Hi @Marc Mroz. This is an old thread but I want to ask a further question about where the videos are stored. 

You said they are stored in Azure Media Services under the covers. Does this mean that an Office 365 tenant in Australia would be storing their Stream videos in the local Azure datacenter? 

Said another way, is the Stream service hosted in the same datacenter as the Office 365 tenant? 

There is no real one data center for an O365 tenant. Each service (SPO, EXO, Yammer, Stream, Teams, etc) that is part of O365 has their service running in various data centers which may or may not be colocated.

It's technically up to each service to create a tenant in their specific service in an appropriate data center for a specific customer. As such from service to service it may vary where a tenant's data is stored. For example EXO and SPO are for sure getting setup in all the various new regional data centers being deployed, but some of the other services may not be there on day 1. So as you use a different services of O365 you may be storing data in a few different data centers.

Specifically for Stream we are deployed to many of the local regions, but not all of them yet. As such when you start using Stream we look up your AAD tenant ID and get your billing address and find the "closest" data center where Stream exists, and setup your Stream tenant there. So specifically for Australia, if you used Stream for the first time before Stream was setup in Australia your tenant is not provisioned there. But if you use Stream for the first time now (or after Nov 2017), then your Stream tenant will be provisioned in Australia. 

You can look up which region your Stream data is stored directly in Stream.

In Stream > ? in upper right corner > About Microsoft Stream > Your data is stored in 

About Stream.png

Thank you Marc. That's the answer I was looking for. Are there any plans to offer those early adopter organisations to move their Stream data to a datacenter in their local region?

I should have just mentioned that in my previous answer because I knew that was going to be your next question. :)

We have "tenant move" from one Stream region to another Stream region on the backlog for the future but with no timeline or ETA associated with it. It's not something we were planning on doing in the short to mid term. 

That being said as with anything your feedback and votes / comments on the idea forum are welcome: http://aka.ms/StreamIdeas

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sean Boudreau (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Q: I have put some videos in a group, and in a channle and the videos dont seem to actually be saved to the O365 group. Where are they actually saved?

A: Can you explain what you did in Stream? Did you... In Stream go to your Group, make a channel, and then upload a video to the Channel in the Group in Stream?

Videos uploaded to Stream are stored in Stream not in the O365 group's file store. We need to store the videos seperate in Stream so we can enable large scale adaptive streaming of the videos (by leveraging Azure Media Services under the covers). Files uploaded to an O365 Group's files are stored in SharePoint Online directly. SPO does support video playback but it's not indended for large scale. With Stream you can send out a link to a video to everyone in the company and there wouldn't be any issues with scalability or thorttling. 

Q: As an admin where can i go to review all videos?

A: We don't have a admin area that lets you see all the videos. If a video is permissoined such that you can see it already, you'll be able to find it via Browse / Search. However if somoene sets permisions on the videos such that you can't see it, you won't find it in Stream directly. HOWEVER, if someone sends you a link to the video or channel you will be able to elevate yourself and edit/see that video as a Stream Admin.  See this article about "edit in admin mode": https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-entering-admin-mode/

Q: As an admin where can i manage the space being used?

A: We haven't implemented storage / quota management as an Admin yet. We will be doing this development soon to add the ability for the Stream Admins to see how much space is consumed and by what videos, etc.

Q: What happens to a video when the account of the uploader is terminated from the tenant?

A: Videos in Stream are really owned by the tenant itself. As such if an uploader is no longer part of the tenant those videos will remain in Stream and continue to function. As mentioned above the Stream Admin's can go in to videos that they aren't an owner of and change the permissons of the videos giving ownership of the video to other groups/people.

View solution in original post