Unpublished Stream contents after user is deleted & Viewing unpublished Stream contents.

Copper Contributor

Do unpublished Stream contents get deleted, after the owner account is deleted?  

Is it possible for Stream admins to view the unpublished Stream contents?

6 Replies

I just did a quick test and talked with some of our Stream engineers for more info.

Unpublished videos in Stream are technically not deleted after the owner's account is deleted. They are still in our database and store, however there will be no way for anyone to get at them. If a video is not published only the original uploader can see the video. So these unpublished videos are basically orphaned in our system at this point. I could see at some point in the future us maybe doing something better in this situation for these videos in this state.

In addition from a quick test, Stream admins are NOT allowed to view unpublished videos either. There is no option to view it in admin mode if an Admin had the link to the unpublished video. 

Thank you for the reply.  It's one of my concerns about Stream.  Rogue users can use Stream to store "unpublished" contents while Stream admin can't do anything about them.  We seriously need the ability to manage unpublished contents.

@Van Lam - Our thought was that if only the user who uploaded it can ever see the video, then it didn't seem necessary to allow an admin control over it. At the time when the video is viewable to other users that's when an admin has the ability to make changes on it. If you feel we should changes this feel free to add your idea/comments to the ideas forum for others to vote on:

http://aka.ms/StreamIdeas

@Marc Mroz This is still a problem in Stream right?

I feel like I should be able to upload a video to a channel and it be an unpublished video in the channel, so channel admins can see it and publish it. 

When I drag a video onto the channel page it is like a normal upload but automatically permissioned to the channel, instead it should be 'owned' by the channel

@Marc Mroz 

Is there any update on this situation. This threatens to be a deal-killer issue for adopting Stream for broad use in our tenant.