Turn on subtitles by default to match user language

Brass Contributor

We have been experimenting with adding subtitles to videos and found that even if the user's language is set to something other than the language of the video and a subtitle exists for that language, it is not enabled by default.  For example, user has set their language in Stream Settings to Italian, the video language is set to English and an Italian subtitle file has been uploaded.  Ideally, those subtitles should appear automatically for the user with their language set to Italian but not for one with it set to English.

6 Replies

When you set language in Stream, it indicates the primary language of the video. If the video is Italian it should be set to Italian. Today we do auto transcription for English and Spanish so this would be saved by Stream for use in future when do support other languages.

When you upload an Italian subtitle, it would show up in the CC button in the player but not in transcript window but you have a great idea that we could potentially show this in our transcript. We'll look into that.

cc: @Adarsh Solanki

Vishal is correct, here.  Currently the transcript window only supports closed captions in the native language of the video.

We will add work to our backlog to support transcript window with translated subtitles, thanks for the feedback!

This would be great - I'm using Stream to publish videos from our senior directors to our whole EMEA organisation.  The videos are recorded in English but we have offices in a dozen different countries, so I upload subtitles in a dozen languages.  People who watch videos in these countries should automatically see the subtitles in their language when they press play, instead of having to pause the video, find their subtitles, select them, then restart the video.  

This is probably a naïve question – but will Stream only generate Spanish subtitles if the voice track is in Spanish and the video language is set to Spanish? I've just started using Stream and I'd been led to believe that that it could translate an English voice track into Spanish.  @Noah Souza 

Two years later, and I still have this issue. I have 13 languages in 7 regions for which I need to publish videos. I have all the translated transcriptions for the languages other than English. Still have to have users set the language in which they want to see captions. This is a complete catch-22.

We are also experimenting with subtitles and remark the button to show captions in de viewer window is not even there if the user has not set his language in Stream. Only if you set your language (not on the Office365 level or in your profile) but in the My settings in Stream itself, the button appears.

Does someone know how to set this language for all users without having to learn and encourage our users to do this?

And why not have the button always available if a subtitle file has been uploaded ??