Turn off Stream Transcript on a single Video

Copper Contributor

There is a way to turn off transcript for single videos in Stream. 
1. Open Stream 
2. Click on the gear in the upper right hand side of the page. 
3. Select Admin Settings (you have to be an admin to do this) 
4. Click on Discover in the upper bar 
5. Select Videos (all of your stream videos will be displayed. 
6. Find the Video you want and click on the three dots at the far right 
7. Select Edit in admin mode. 
8. Under Options locate Captions and un-check "Autogenerate a caption file" 
This removes the transcript for that particular video

But I would also like to be able to remove the Transcript for all Videos in my Stream tile or at least all within a Channel.

5 Replies

@GaryAAdmin Huber  Question, please: If I do turn off and turn back on (transcription) for ONE VIDEO, do I lose the transcription and consequently have to re-upload it?

hello @MommyTrex, in that case the transcript would be regenerated when you turn them back on.  

@garrettbronner Thank you for your response. I have another question ...

Can we turn off Transcription for the entire tenant?
A tenant wide setting to disable transcript is still not available.  We know that the transcription can be turned off one video at a time.
It was posted in the MS Office 365 UserVoice Forum that a workaround to this is to change the designated language of the video to a non-supported language. Could you confirm that this is a solution?

Transcripts are generated during the processing phase, so remember to download a copy of the .vtt file before disabling otherwise you will have to upload again.  Hope this helps, and yes it would be ideal to have a global switch for transcription.@garrettbronner 

Thank you for the feedback which is heard!  Feel free to vote on that idea also at our Ideas Forum - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-ideas/have-administrative-option-to-disable-...  @Scott Tupper