Stream won't encode higher than 360p. Original is 1080. It's been 5 days.

Copper Contributor

I was waiting for the higher resolution quality to become available but its been 5 days and nothing. Can I check anywhere to see if there is a problem and maybe diagnose? Anyone have any ideas?

7 Replies

@benj4786 

I feel your pain! - I'd been keen to know the answer myself - I've been using Stream for a couple of months now - most if not all of my videos are 1080p - yet the time it takes for the 1080p version to become available seems entirely random - in some cases its within 10-20 minutes, other times its days or even weeks! In my experience, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between video length and the time it takes for the hi-resolution versions of the video to become available - I've sometimes observed 1080p versions of >1hr video sessions become available quicker than some of my <10min sessions. I've even tried 'replacing' the original video with a copy of itself just to see if I can kickstart the process but it doesn't seem to have any predictable effect. The only general pattern I've found is that when I record a video externally and upload it to Stream, the 1080p version *usually* becomes available faster than if I'd recorded video directly within another Microsoft tool such as Teams - which integrates directly with Stream. Bizarre!

@benj4786 Sure enough, on day 6, all other resolution levels were available, including full 1080p. I wonder if there's a way to speed this up? Any tips for encoding for faster processing?

Likewise, 1080p versions of a couple more of my video sessions have now become available since my last post - but there are still others that currently max out at 720p (or less). No idea if there is some way to speed up the transcoding process - I guess if I knew, I'd already be doing it :xd:

@Shane-K 

Hi, Encoder which need to be used with Microsoft Stream are not Proxy aware, so we can not pass Encoder/upload content e.g. from Wirecast towards Microsoft Cloud via Corporate Proxy, Direct Firewall opening will not be permitted due to security concerns. What is the best practice, how to handle this situation to use Encoders; How are  other organizations using Encoders

Hi @benj4786 - we don't see indication that there was any ongoing downtime at the time you uploaded this video. Could you let me know if you're still observing long processing times for high resolution video layers? Generally multi-bitrate video processing completes within time equal to the duration of the uploaded video. Let me know if any issues are ongoing. If so, you can open a ticket with support and we can look into the issue.

Hi Dwayne. Thanks for checking up on this issue. The full resolution stream was available a few hours after I posted this. Since then, I’ve noticed an average of about 24hrs for a high-res 20min+ video to process, which seems reasonable.

We have literally have videos that are still not available in HD after 2 months....