SOLVED

Stream Storage

Silver Contributor

Should we expect the storage for any new videos added to Stream to go against our SPO tenant storage as it does for Office 365 Video? Do new channels that are created create site collections, and can a Sharepoint tenant admin monitor what is created through the tenant?

29 Replies
best response confirmed by anonymous-user (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Bhowell for preview, the product is completely free and separate from Office 365 so no usage will impact your SharePoint tenant storage.

Also, it's not built on SharePoint so those constructs won't work with Microsoft Stream. If you are an Office subscriber you can continue to use Office 365 Video and at a future date once we have more details on our integration with Office 365, we can talk more to admin capabilities like management, etc.

Here is MS info on this

https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-license-overview/

"Microsoft Stream includes a base amount of storage. A Microsoft Stream tenant receives a fixed allocation of 500 GB of storage and an additional 0.5 GB of storage per licensed user* as illustrated in the table below. Additional Microsoft Stream storage is available for purchase separately. See the Microsoft Stream pricing page for more details."

However to the OP's point, this sounds just like SPO, and the service appears to connect to O365 groups... so i think the question is still unawnsered... does this count towards SPO storage, or is it its own storage... and how do you monitor it?

This service is now GA... i would hope someone from MS can awnser the question.

About Groups and Channels, this should awnser your question

https://stream.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/stream-groups-channels-overview/

Company wide channels open to everyone 

Groups connected to O365 groups and O365 groups security

Group Channels, connected to groups and thus the security.

Stream storage and quota is not connected to or using SharePoint Online storage/quota. 

The qutoa limits listed on the linked help doc are for within Stream itself. 

Videos uploaded to Stream within a group or not, are NOT stored within SharePoint Online. We use O365 Groups for permissions/membership and settings but not for physical storage of the original video files. Videos uploaded to Stream are stored within the Stream service itself which is an Azure based service on top of Azure SQL, Blob, and Azure Media Services.

How can we monitor how much storage is being consumed?

Right now in Stream you can't monitor how much storage is being consumed. We will be adding this ability in the near future so you can monitor how much storage you are using, what's consuming it, etc.

I've asked this in another thread as well:
Are you open for discussion about the currently included tenant storage 500GB+0,5GB per user.
From my point of view, the current storage plans don't make any sense when looking across services.
There's SharePoint (which is for any kind of file, but preferably documents) with its 1TB included storage and on the other hand is Stream (designated for large video files), where only half a TB is included.

Currently I would highly discourage any users to upload any kind of smartphone footage directly to Stream. Current iPhone shoot at least 1080p, possibly even 4K.
Since the Stream documentation is currently unclear what exactly counts towards the used storage I'm assuming it is using the original file size. Uploading any raw footage would fill up those tiny 500GBs pretty fast.

We are open for discussion and feedback on the storage side. We'll also be monitoring and watching how much storage is used to see if we need to raise these intial limits to give customers more realistic space for their videos.

Here is my answer from the other thread... copying it in here as wel...

A: The storage quota is pooled so you get the sum of the 500 GB + 0.5 GB/user to be consumed by the tenant as a whole. Our intention was to give tenants enough storage that they don't have to worry about it. From another point of view since we are now decoupling Stream quota from SPO quota (in comparison to O365 Video), you do get extra quota allotted just to videos in Stream. Also note, these limits we landed on for GA are informed out of how much video was uploaded to O365 Video and the costs to run the Stream service. We will for sure be monitoring the usage and consumption to see if changes to these limits need to be changed in the future to give customers enough realistic space. We can also revisit this discussion with our Business Planning team based on usage and feedback.

Looking at what appears to be the official set of limitations at https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-quotas-and-limitations/, the maximum amount of video data for a tenant is 5PB (= 50GB/video * 100,000videos/tenant).

I think that will be a challenge to fill, even with our content producers showing interest in 4K video :)

@Ivan Unger wrote:
I've asked this in another thread as well:
Are you open for discussion about the currently included tenant storage 500GB+0,5GB per user.
From my point of view, the current storage plans don't make any sense when looking across services.
There's SharePoint (which is for any kind of file, but preferably documents) with its 1TB included storage and on the other hand is Stream (designated for large video files), where only half a TB is included.

Totally agree the concern

Actually Office 365 provide 1TB per channel and actually channels are SP Site collections. I never find any space limitations there

month ago - during GA Anouncment I read - proposed storage was something nomber of videos per user, number of channels per user and number of channels per tenannt and number of videos per channel. Plus maximum size of one video. I don't remember those numbers but month agou anounced storage was something 500TB per tenant

500GB is really to small storage 

@Adam Ross wrote:

Looking at what appears to be the official set of limitations at https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-quotas-and-limitations/, the maximum amount of video data for a tenant is 5PB (= 50GB/video * 100,000videos/tenant).

THis is exact the conflict between 2 anouncments - 500GB per tenant versus 250TB per user

Sorry @HennSarv I'm not following the question. Where do we have 2 announcments that conflict with one another?

Just to clarify this article shows the physical limits on Stream independant of the storage quota for the tenant: https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-quotas-and-limitations/

This article covers how much pooled storage quota you get for Stream based plan / # of users licensed for Stream in your tenant: https://stream.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/stream-license-overview/#storage

On the last link I read:

Microsoft Stream includes a base amount of storage. A Microsoft Stream tenant receives a fixed allocation of 500 GB of storage and an additional 0.5 GB of storage per licensed user* as illustrated in the table below. Additional Microsoft Stream storage is available for purchase separately. See the Microsoft Stream pricing page for more details.

and the included link is dead end (link to back). 

Current Office 365 Video service offer 1TB per channel with no anounced limits to number of channels

Switching Video 2 Stream will be decrase of service

Or might be I didn't catch some important things

We'll fix that link that just goes back to the same page sorry.

The 500GB / tenant + 0.5 GB / user pooled is the storage quota you get in Stream. This is the amount of storage you get to use up.

The 1 TB / channel in O365 Video (SharePoint Online Site Collection). Is a limit not a quota. Which means if you bought a ton of SharePoint Online storage quota you could grow each channel up to 1 TB. It does not mean that you get unlimited storage of videos in channels for O365 Video.

So with O365 Video your quota was consumed out of your normal SharePoint online Site quota. If you consumed all of that then you'd have to buy more storage quota. In effect with Stream you are getting extra storage for videos for the same price you paid before, because now we are separating video storage in Steam from video storage in SharePoint online for O365 Video channels.

Hi,

might be that I am missing something, but is it correct that we need to buy extra storage if we exceed the 500 GB / tenant + 0.5 GB / user limit - but that there is no way for us to monitor how much storage we are using in Stream at any given time? How should we go about to buy more storage? In our tennant the bulk of our users are assigned E3-licences. In the admin center it seems it is possible to buy some extra storage, but it's a bit unclear which option is correct for those who have E3-licences already.  

@Marc Mroz wrote:

Right now in Stream you can't monitor how much storage is being consumed. We will be adding this ability in the near future so you can monitor how much storage you are using, what's consuming it, etc.

Hi @Marc Mroz - any updates on admins being able to track how much storage we are using?  For us, we have some uncertainty about how we can adopt stream.  We'd like to migrate the contents from another 3rd-party VoD system we own, but we don't know how much space we are currently using - and how much will be used when our O365 Video content is migrated.

Speaking of which - what will happen if the O365 Video migration takes us over our quota?

One more question @Marc Mroz!  (Until I think of the next one)

Is the storage used calculated on the uploaded video, or do the other bitrate versions that may be created from the original upload also then count towards the allocated storage?

Hi @Marc Mroz - any updates on admins being able to track how much storage we are using? 

@Adrian Hyde - Yes we are finishing up development and testing now so the Stream Admins can see how much overall storage quota is being used and be notified when reaching x% of the limit.

See this screen shot from our development environment.

Stream Storage Quota.png

Speaking of which - what will happen if the O365 Video migration takes us over our quota?

If you happen to go over the Stream quota by virtue of us migrating all your videos from O365 Video to Stream, we'll just bump up your allowed storage quota so that you don't exceed the limit. You'll obviously need to buy more storage quota soon on Stream if that happens and you want to keep uploading more videos.

@Adrian Hyde wrote:

One more question @Marc Mroz!  (Until I think of the next one)

Is the storage used calculated on the uploaded video, or do the other bitrate versions that may be created from the original upload also then count towards the allocated storage?

Stream still only calculates the storage quota used by the originally uploaded videos. The various different bitrate/resolution videos we generate for adaptive streaming don't count against the storage quota.

Thanks for the information - that is helpful.

Do you imagine that this default storage allocation will be bumped up each year, similar to what happens with SharePoint/OneDrive/Exchange ?

And let me share some advice.  Hopefully you did not model the purchase of additional space after the SharePoint model.  Most large enterprises do not buy things via the web portal, and it took literally months of going around in circles for the Microsoft people to figure out how to discount and provide additional storage under an existing Enterprise Agreement.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by anonymous-user (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Bhowell for preview, the product is completely free and separate from Office 365 so no usage will impact your SharePoint tenant storage.

Also, it's not built on SharePoint so those constructs won't work with Microsoft Stream. If you are an Office subscriber you can continue to use Office 365 Video and at a future date once we have more details on our integration with Office 365, we can talk more to admin capabilities like management, etc.

View solution in original post