Stream Embed not visible (webpart is blank) in iOS on mobile

Copper Contributor

I embedded a Stream video onto a SharePoint page with a Script Editor webpart, which is working as expected on desktop.

But when I open the page in mobile (Safari on iOS), the embed doesn't appear at all - it's just blank. But if I then go to https://web.microsoftstream.com/ and then come back and refresh the page with the embed, the video appears correctly.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and anything I can do to resolve it? This is intended for the homepage of a company intranet so it's a potentially major issue for the mobile user experience.

28 Replies

Hi Saili,

Just to advise I have tested in both the SharePoint App and Safari on my iOS devices and stream is still prompting to login. I am in the UK so maybe the changes have not yet replicated to the app in the UK AppStore?

@Chris Cundy can you make sure the page you are displaying in the SP mobile app is a modern page using the Stream webpart directly? If you are using the embed webpart with the stream embedcode, the whole flow Saili mentioned doesn't work. It will only work if you use the Stream webpart itself on the page.

If you are using the modern webpart you may be encountering a bug, the sharepoint team is looking into it right now. 

@Marc Mroz I am using the Stream (Preview) Webpart on a Modern communication site and have configured it to display a Stream Channel. This displays in the page correctly on all devices apart from iOS. It does not display correctly either in Safari or in the SharePoint app. I just get a Microsoft Stream grey background with the text "To see this content, sign in".

Ideas?

Hi @Saili Raje, will this solution to the log-in/auth problem also work for embedding Stream in another mobile (browser) app ?  Or is it only for the sharepoint app ?  I'm working with an ISV for a retail customer.  We want to position stream together (embedded) in the app the ISV have developed for this customer.  Tx for your guidance.

@Saili Raje @Marc Mroz  Is there any update at all on this issue? We have premium support, and attempted to get an update with the incredibly frustrating response as if Microsoft had never heard of this problem and a standard 'we can't recreate the issue (through multiple levels of escalation up to and including someone from the product team.)

We are using the Preview Stream web part in a modern site. As with others, the videos display and play just fine on desktop but not on iOS mobile devices (iPhone or iPad). We tried the workaround suggested of turning off Prevent Cross-Site Tracking, clearing cache & cookies, etc. but the web part still displays a message indicating that a setting in the browser is blocking cookies (I have cookie blocking turned off too, and block pop-ups for good measure) -- and prompting to Open in a new window. All our MSFT and Apple versions are current.

Our company has standardized on Apple mobile devices and we are getting ready to roll out our brand new intranet built on SP modern. This is a huge blocking issue. Is there any news -- and it would be great if your support and product folks were made aware as well.

@carolyn910 I'm so sorry to hear your issues getting a resolution to this from the support team. Let me ping you offline for more details and I can set up a call if necessary. 

This is also an issue we're facing with iOS\mobile browser. We want to design a new collaboration\social media strategy at our company leveraging the Microsoft ecosystem but when users are faced with a webpart that either requires another authentication prompt or is blocked due to cookies, it's not a great consumer experience. In my case, if i access web.microsoftstream.com, the web part shows up after refreshing the SharePoint page but that isn't a viable option. I've submitted a premier case. Please...please...find a solution!

@Marc Mroz  iOS 13.5. still experiencing this issue in the Sharepoint iOS mobile app

@Marc Mroz My organization is having the exact same problem that @cicton is describing. Please help.