Stream API documentation

Deleted
Not applicable

When will it be available?

43 Replies

@Deleted - What you are looking for does not exist from MS Stream today, sorry.

It sounds like you need 2 of the features that are higher on our roadmap.

1. Public / anonymous access to videos. Be able to grab an embed code for a video and put it on a site for anyone not logged in to play.

2. APIs to be able to search/find and pull out embed codes for videos.

Both are features higher on our backlog but as we don't have engineers assigned to them right now it's hard to give a specific timeline.

Api's available on

https://api.microsoftstream.com/api/$metadata?api-version=1.1

Looks to still be under development, re the api-version:

Supported version(s): 1.0, 1.0-private, 1.1, 1.1-private, 1.2-private, 1.3-private"

Correct, we don't yet have public REST APIs for Stream. This is something we hope to start working on in 2018 Q2 or Q3. Right now those are all internal APIs used by our code and by internal teams.

With the timeframe pushing out looks like this is no longer a high priority, the API stack is there, all that's missing is the ability to hook up trust/permissions to an enterprise app in aad.

Any guidance on how to achieve this today would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Keep us posted Marc.  I have an enterprise media customer who wants to migrate several hundred terabytes of video to Stream and we need tool vendors to be able to support Stream as a target platform.

Sorry @Andrew Backway I missed your response from last month. There isn't a way to use Stream APIs at this point in time. 

Still no ETA on API availability?

I think the API should allow us to:

- Get / Create Channels and Groups

- Upload / download video files

- Get / Set video details, permissions and options

These are the most important features in my opinion. Then having the "search" capability through the API could be nice, especially to integrate with our SharePoint sites (example: display the current user watchlist).

Basically the API should allow us all actions that we can do in the Stream portal. It's a bit surprising that the "public" API takes so much time to be shipped as the portal seems to be built on top of of an existing API. It should not be too hard to document the API and allow us to get authorization via Azure AD. Only the upload video part would seem more complicated as it seems that the video file is upload directly to a dynamically generated Azure Storage container.

Sorry we don't have a hard ETA on public REST APIs still. We are hoping we'll be able to come free from other projects to start on APIs in 2018 Q2/Q3. 

When we get closer we'll have more of a picture of what we'll offer in the API, but I do believe we'll end up supporting most of what you have listed.

OK. Any idea if some Stream endpoints will also be added to Microsoft Graph?

Any update?

We haven't yet been able to start Stream APIs. I'm hoping we start in Q3/Q4, we've been delayed on this project due to other ones.

Does this mean PowerShell too or just REST?

We'd love one of two things:

1. An API that takes the url to your video page and return direct links to all the video files with information about their resolutions(mp4 files)
  2. A video player with JavaScript APIs allowing us to completely control the video experience like the one YouTube has for play, pause, seek, get current video time etc.

We will use it to allow your users to use their videos with H5P's Interactive Video content type and other similar H5P video base content types.

@Marc MrozAny update on Stream API?  It is almost the end of Q4 CY2018. 

We'll not be making Q4 CY2018 sorry. We've had several false starts on the API project. We'll have to come up with a new realistic estimate after we get further into planning/scoping on this one.
Any update about the API ?
Hi Vishal,
Any updates on stream apis?
Or can you please tell me when will it be available?

Hi @SamDhangar did you get any api support ?

Any update on the Microsoft Stream API availability?

@Vishal Sood 

what would be great is to facilitate https://h5p.org we use this with the integrated Moodle module for interactive video content. Our issue is, as a Microsoft 365 subscriber, we host our content on stream as part of our college solution this then prevents us using this content to facilitate a more engaging and deeper learning experience through the H5P interactive video software.