SOLVED

Stream API & Pricing

Brass Contributor

Apologies if an update has appeared elsewhere but we are keen to gain access to the Stream API details. Are the API details now published?  

Also in our scenario, our storage will be beyond the storage allocated by default.  Can someone share details of the costs beyond what is provided with E3 licenses? 

We have a project ready to go and Microsoft don't seem to be progressing in line with previous updates. 

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Michael Holste (Microsoft)
Solution

We do not have public Stream APIs available at this time. We hope to start on them in 2018 Q2/Q3.

For what you get with the E3 license see this document: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/license-overview

Basically you get everything in Stream except ability to search on the transcript of the video, that is E5, Stream P2, or an add-on for E3.

You don't pay for how often you play a video, you just have a quota on how many videos you upload and can buy more storage quota if you run out: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/license-overview#storage

Quick confirmation on that storage cost. We get 12TB with stream initially right? This 12 TB is calculated against the master file which is ingested correct. So can I assume if we wanted to get the most effective use of our initial 12TB allowing users to upload max bit rate videos would be lazy and eventually costly as stream as with office 365 video renders at up tp 4mbps. I realize you may increase this, but for our corporate network bandwidth this is plenty anyway. So my convoluted way to a question is that if we were to leverage pre uploading transcode tools such as handbrake for super high res media we could get the longest life from our 12TB ?

You get 500 GB for your tenant and then pooled 0.5 GB per licensed user.

500 GB + (# of users * 0.5GB) = total pooled storage

I'm not sure how many users you have in your organization but you'll need to do the math above to see how much storage you have. Or if you go into Stream admin settings we show you the amount of storage you have available there.

But to the other part of your question, you are correct. We only count the original uploaded video against that pooled storage quota. So if you compress your uploaded videos before uploading you'll use your storage most efficiently. 

On the transcoding / playback side we analyze your input video and won't output bitrates for adaptive streaming higher than the resolution and bitrate of your input video. So if you are concerned with playback bitrate sizes lowering those on your upload video will also lower them on the playback side after we transcode.

Hi Marc

Thanks for your response and for your time. Whilst I understand the challenges, stating that you hope to start on them in 2018 Q2/Q3 doesn’t provide me with what I need to plan in the work we expected to undertake Q1 Q2 this year. I am still unclear whether we can plan to undertake this work at all anytime in 2018. From a customer perspective this hasn’t been a great experience.

I'm sorry I can't give you more concrete promise. Since we haven't started development on them I can't make a committed promise to you. I can tell you that doing public APIs on Stream is a high priority for us as is getting as many customers as possible from O365 Video to Stream in 2018.

Hello Marc

I understand that the Microsoft Stream APIs are now available. Could you point us to the relevant documentation ? 

As mentioned in the other posts. We do not yet have Stream REST APIs. Those APIs you referenced in the other post were for Azure Media Service directly if you wanted to build your own entire video solution from scratch. We are hoping to start Stream public REST APIs in Q3/Q4, we've been delayed with other projects, sorry.

We would definitely like to beta test the Stream API.  

Looking for search methods that return item information including the URL back to it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michael Holste (Microsoft)
Solution

We do not have public Stream APIs available at this time. We hope to start on them in 2018 Q2/Q3.

For what you get with the E3 license see this document: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/license-overview

Basically you get everything in Stream except ability to search on the transcript of the video, that is E5, Stream P2, or an add-on for E3.

You don't pay for how often you play a video, you just have a quota on how many videos you upload and can buy more storage quota if you run out: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/license-overview#storage

View solution in original post