SOLVED

Screen Capture Tools - What's your favorite?

Silver Contributor

Informal poll - What's your favorite screen capture and recording tool for creating How To videos?

I'm working through a blog series on generating content for Stream, and one of the obvious quesitons is which tools do folks like to use to generate, create and capture either screen recordings or presentations for sharing ideas in their company.

My pesonal favorite tool has been TechSmith's SnagIt for years. Can't do my job without it. Camtasia is clearly at the top of the list as well, due to its amazing editing, zooming, and commenting tools.

What tools do you use?

Be sure to check out my blog series on creating How To videos and send in your ideas and tips as well!

19 Replies

Screencast-o-matic is a pretty cool screen capture tool.  The pro version has some enhanced upgrades.  Check it out here:

https://screencast-o-matic.com/screen_recorder

best response confirmed by Amit Rajput (Microsoft)
Solution

Thanks for the responses!

Open Broadcast - you can stream, record or both. Free, open source and works with many popular OS's.

Best screen capture and annotation tool ever is Greenshot - every, and I mean EVERY computer I use get's that installed!

For video recording I use  CamStudio Portable (in general, using the portable apps protects you from injected garbage from other installers)

ScreenToGif is great though I only use a few of its features http://www.screentogif.com. Big fan of Greenshot as well for screenshots.
I am also a Snagit buff.
I have used it for years now and find it indispensable in my forum work.

Updating this discussion with the latest info - Stream will have its own tool for this in the next few months, according to a recent item on the Office 365 Roadmap:

"Microsoft Stream: Screen recording tool - Windows and Mac OS X tool for creating screen recording videos and uploading them automatically to Stream."

A really nice move, to have built-in content creation tools, will make it easier for customers to get started creating videos.

Powerpoint, since I don't need anything fancy. Start a screen capture, it automatically embeds it in powerpoint, then just right click on embed and save video. Granted, there are no advanced features, nothing fancy, and very little control. But, it works and it's already a part of powerpoint, which many people in an organization will have with O365

I use Skype for Business. I have a meeting with myself, share my desktop, and start recording. 

Screen recorder for computer is simple to use. I can use it to record streaming gameplay, online music, and Skype calls and more I want. It's also workable to create scheduled task, highlight clicks, customize configuration, grab system audio and/or microphone sound, etc. in my own way.

Screen recorder for computer is simple to use. I can use it to record streaming gameplay, online music, Skype calls and more I want. It's also workable to create scheduled task, highlight clicks, customize configuration, grab system audio and/or microphone sound, etc. in my own way.

I love FoneLab screen capture tool. It helps you take screenshot on windows, record video, audio, gameplay, online meeting and more as your need.

The screen capture tools that I often use are Joyoshare Screen Recorder and TechSmith Snagit. I think they both are the professional and powerful screen capture software on Windows. As a teacher, I recently recorded my PowerPoint presentation with Joyoshare Screen Recorder, because I want to add my sound into my PPT. It just supports to record video and audio at the same time with high quality. If you would like to explain while recording, you need to turn on Microsoft sound. Importantly, this tool allows you to adjust parameters like resolution and frame rate and to output video into any formats according to your need. It offers the trial version, you can try it. Hope you like it after trying. 

)0B9]OB5W10%ED@L(GL{LCY.png 

Screencast-o-matic is an extremely easy tool to use.

Do you know if this feature is available@Cian Allner ? I can't find this feature.

I agree it's a great tool but does anyone know if screencast o matic is compatible with microsoft stream? I can't seem to import screencast o matic videos into microsoft stream. Any suggestions? Thanks!  

@MattyD - Did you figure this out? I thought I'd read that Screencast-o-matic just generated a standard .mp4 file. If this is still an issue, can you share your repro steps and any error messages you received?

-Chris

@anonymous-user  Camtasia seems great due to its editing feature. But it's too pricey for me. Since I'm not skilled at video editing, my friend suggest me another easier screen recorder with editor built-in whose name is RecMaster. The best part is I think its price is reasonable, at least for me/

@Lolia2012 - have you tried the newer Microsoft Stream Screen Record feature? It's free, runs in the browser, and you can download the recording or upload it directly to Stream.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Amit Rajput (Microsoft)
Solution

Thanks for the responses!

View solution in original post