SOLVED

"Stream only groups"

Iron Contributor

Hello,

During May AMA @Marc Mroz speak about a concept of "Stream only groups" they are thinking about

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-AMA/Restricted-publishing-capabilities/m-p/1...

@Marc Mroz, any news on that topic? I need to create publkic groups but don't want all the things around them like Sharepoint site, visibility from Outlook, ... Yes I can restrict access to Sharepoint site afterward or hide  the Groups from Outlook but it should be beter if they are not existing and we don't need to think about removing things after creation.

Thanks for feedback on procress onnthis concept

Vincent VALENTIN

10 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

We've been delayed on that idea, sorry, so no update really at this point, other than we know this is still a pain point and need to come up with a plan on how to address it. We still have it high on the list to come up with some sort of solution here, but we haven't had time yet to put the plan together. I'm still at this point leaning toward something like "stream only groups" but with the ability to upgrade them to O365 Groups in the future, so it's not a one way door.

Thoughts?

Hello Marc,

Could be interesting especially to move O365 Group to "Steam only" groups so that we will have a consistant solution.

I just found the following preview function https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces within Power BI.

Initially when you create a Power BI Workplace you create a O365 group but as for Stream, you don't always need the sharepoint, mail, ... part of the O365 group.

It seems that now you can create some "Power BI only" workplace with some more access granularity (new contribution role than can be also usefull in Steam to be able to publish without been an admin of

the group/channel). You can also grant access using access/distribution groups.

Same functionality at Stream level would be great (and consistant with what Power BI dev team are proposing in preview).

Hello @Marc Mroz,

Any progress on that topic? I need to create some private groups/channels within the coming weeks with hundreds of users and it will be painfull to add and maintain them manually with an O365 Group.

We really need this functionnality of "Stream only Groups" not linked to all the struff you have with an O365 group (mailbox, calendar, planner, Sharepoint site, ....) and to be able to manage access to thses groups thru already existing distribution or access list.

Regards

Vincent VALENTIN

@Marc Mroz Any updates on this?  We're waiting on this functionality before fully adopting Stream.  We need the ability to create groups but we do not need the O365 groups in many cases (we need subchannels for communication sites).

@Marc MrozAny updates on the stream only group ? We are waiting for this to migrate O365 video portal to Stream.

Thanks.

@Marc Mroz More feedback on why this feature is needed and why we still haven't fully adopted Stream.

• Creating a Stream group creates an O365 group and a SharePoint site.  Our O365 admins have retention policies set up for O365 groups and so do we (SharePoint team).  Since the SharePoint site isn't being used, these empty sites that aren't being used they are being flagged for deletion.  Video uploads to Stream may not be registering as O365 group activity because these group owners are being emailed every 90 days that their group isn't being used and will be deleted.  May be a configuration issue and I'm still working with our O365 admins.
  • Search - These empty SharePoint sites are showing up in Search.  We've had to set these sites to be excluded from Search as this causes confusion when staff are looking for a site and find these empty sites.
  • Outlook - We've had to hide these groups from the Global Address list so staff don't attempt to email these groups that are created only to be used in Stream.   These groups also show up in "Browse Groups" and staff have attempted to join them not knowing that these are groups only set up for Stream.
  • Teams - We've had staff set up MS Teams off of these O365 group connected Stream channels even though it's not necessary or we have an MS Team set up elsewhere

In short, this causes a lot of extra work when all we need is a "Stream only group" for the purposes of having sub-channels to display different channels on different pages in Communication sites.  Some of this could be resolved with training or configuration but in the end it shouldn't be this difficult.  This has prevented us from fully adopting Stream.

In addition during Ignite the Tour in Amsterdam I attend to a session about Office 365 presented by @Mike McClean if my memory is good. We discuss at the end about a concept of enabling O365 Group "on demand" feature when only needed. You need a O365 Group for PowerBI => Create and enable only the PowerBI. Later you want to share some video => Enable the Stream part, … Eric your example is a concreate case I also have. Having feature of O365 Group only when needed will solve a lot of issues. @Mike MClean, @Marc Mroz any information about this type this way of working of O365 Groups
In addition during Ignite the Tour in Amsterdam I attend to a session about Office 365 Groups presented by @Mike McClean if my memory is good. We discuss at the end about a concept of enabling O365 Groups "on demand" feature when only needed. You need a O365 Group for PowerBI => Create and enable only the PowerBI. Later you want to share some video => Enable the Stream part, … Eric your example is a concreate case I also have. Having feature of O365 Groups only when needed will solve a lot of issues. @Mike MClean, @Marc Mroz any information about this type this way of working of O365 Groups?

@Marc Mroz 

Hi,

We really need this too. We have 4Tb of videos and many different current O365 video channels.

Creating hundreds of shared modern groups and their automatically added associated mailboxes, sharepoint sites, shared calendars and notebook just so that videos can be organised is frankly, daft. I can't overstate the search, compliance (and in our case, client safeguarding) issues that this short-sighted design creates.

We're going to have to look at moving away from O365 if basic functionality like this can't be realised in a timely manner. It doesn't look as if it should be hard to create new Stream-only groups - the backend functionality of these groups is already there with the O365 migration.

Yours

Moby

@Marc Mroz 

Any updates on this?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

We've been delayed on that idea, sorry, so no update really at this point, other than we know this is still a pain point and need to come up with a plan on how to address it. We still have it high on the list to come up with some sort of solution here, but we haven't had time yet to put the plan together. I'm still at this point leaning toward something like "stream only groups" but with the ability to upgrade them to O365 Groups in the future, so it's not a one way door.

Thoughts?

View solution in original post