Office365 licensing required for Stream administration?

Copper Contributor

Just want to confirm that we need to get Office365 licensing (E3 for example) for our administrator accounts so that we can manage Stream.  I logged into the Stream site with my global tenant admin account and got prompted for a 90 day trial.  It appears that after this trial period, I wouldn't be able to go the Admin settings anymore without assigning a license to this account.  This doesn't make any sense as it would be equivalent of having to assign licenses to an administrator account to manage SharePoint, OneDrive, Exchange, etc.  I don't want to assign administrator access to my "regular" account as that would violate our company's security policies.  Can anyone confirm that I'm not misunderstanding this requirement?

1 Reply

@RangerTim Stream service itself enforces that a user must be licensed. You have no other option than assigning your admin account a license that includes Stream. You could do this temporarily i.e. assign license, execute the admin activity and un-assign the license.

This is a common issue whereby many M365 services enforce user account license. Have a look here for more detail.