SOLVED

How to share video recording to external using Microsoft stream

Copper Contributor

Hi,

How can I share video recording to external using Microsoft stream?

I find myself as video owner cannot add more email addressed under Update Video Detail - > permissions.

Please advise.

67 Replies

@StephanSchaller Yeah not being able to block OneDrive video downloads has been a long standing limitation and really an issue for moving from Stream to OneDrive. Really wish MS had fixed that before this change. However I do know they plan to fix that soon and its already noted in their kb article here: Block downloads for view-only files in SharePoint and OneDrive - OneDrive (work or school) (microsof.... So hopefully we get that soon.

@jmd1980 sure, as long as the default is to disable download to people outside the Organisation, or a simple one click option to do that?

OneDrive sharing has the option to block download.
I believe this too is only a temporary solution until the "New Stream" in the form of the SharePoint video portal gets rolled out later this year.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/new-stream

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Stream

@Doug Punchak I think this already is the "new" Stream. I imagine personal recordings will continue to save to OneDrive and group based recordings to SharePoint. What I'm imagining is that'll start to just bring some of the Stream features over into the OneDrive/SPO video player. The big missing piece will be the way Stream can organize and layout videos. I'm going to guess they'll introduce a SharePoint template specific to videos along with the Stream web part they've been talking about to embed videos into pages.

Block download on files yes. Go try it on any video you've uploaded to OneDrive, the block download option is oddly missing. With no real explanation why, like what's the difference? So they definitely need to fix that asap.
@jmd1980 Good clarification. Thank you. I'm looking at this from the sharing\security aspect too. If the "SP video player template" is available, the same external access and sharing mechanism will be in play. It's not anonymous or public, but at least it works for security and access.
@Pernille-Eskebo -- any update on where this is in the dev process? Clearly, many businesses would benefit from easier external sharing options for video content through Stream. Since we're now almost in Q2 2021 (and you mention this enhancement request being dev complete at the end of Q4 2020), is there any update?

Has this been done? If not, when will this be available?

We just started using this for internal videos and its fantastic, supper bummed that we cant share this externally . Especially since its been on the road amped for a long time. Looks like Microsoft used Bing Maps....

@tmarchi I have read the thread of this question with interest as I am currently trying to share a video externally. I can share to an external email address with the link, which is password protected. However, I am having issues with the video not having sound once it is processed in Stream. It is a mp4 file which I am uploading into Stream. On the device I have shared it with, I have tried the Stream App but you have to have a MS account, which defeats the purpose and if I download the file, it still has no sound. I think it is more of an issue with the file going into Stream, rather than external sharing but would love any advise if someone has come across this please?

@Patrick_lky 

Has this been resolved yet? 

My experience with this has been that a guest cannot view directly in Stream, but you can download your Stream videos (file type is WEBM) and upload them to your SharePoint site, where the same external users have permission to. I created a SP Library and added webpart to display the library on the homepage of the Sharepoint site. When the guest visits the SharePoint site, they can see and play the Stream videos within their browser. If you add the Stream webpart to your SharePoint site, the videos within that Stream webpart will not display for the guest. They get a big spinning wheel that will not give access to the videos. I'm disappointed because I wanted to use this in MS Teams when I added the stream tab there. I almost gave up on using Stream but read this thread and found I can leverage my Teams/SharePoint site and Team group permissions to still offer the videos this way. I know.... less than ideal but it works.

@cfreeman2490  read this elsewhere, but if you trim your stream video, let it process again and download the file, it will be in mp4 format.  did this and it works :)

Any update on this? Is this now possible out of the box? I don't want to download it and upload it to youtube. We are in 2022!

@Andreas_Huber This functionality won't be coming to Stream as Stream (classic) is being now phased out. With Stream functionality being slowly migrated over to SharePoint. They are now calling the old Steam "Classic" and the new one "Stream on SharePoint". MS Teams meetings already now save to OneDrive/SharePoint instead of Stream (classic). Which then allows for sharing with external users. I haven't seen the new Stream on SharePoint roll out to any environments I have access to so not really sure how it looks/functions, but my guess is there is a new SharePoint Stream site template and video web part features. In the meantime, I'd recommend just moving away from Stream (classic) and hosting your videos in a SharePoint site, at least anything that needs to be shared externally. While you wait for the new Stream to fully roll out.

Just an update for anyone following this. This functionality won't be coming to Stream as Stream (classic) is being now phased out. With Stream functionality being slowly migrated over to SharePoint. They are now calling the old Steam "Classic" and the new one "Stream on SharePoint". MS Teams meetings already now save to OneDrive/SharePoint instead of Stream (classic). Which then allows for sharing with external users. I haven't seen the new Stream on SharePoint roll out to any environments I have access to so not really sure how it looks/functions, but my guess is there is a new SharePoint Stream site template and video web part features. In the meantime, I'd recommend just moving away from Stream (classic) and hosting your videos in a SharePoint site, at least anything that needs to be shared externally. While you wait for the new Stream to fully roll out. More info below:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/new-stream

@jmd1980 This actually doesn't solve the problem, but shifts the problem somewhere else.  What is goin to happen to all the Stream content once it is removed from the apps?  How will that transition be done since a lot of us have quite a bit of content in Stream?

We are building a migration tool to move videos into SharePoint. The tool is not ready to use yet its just in private preview for a few customers:

Https://aka.ms/streammigration

We don't yet have a retirement date, but might have one set toward the end of the year.
Yeah I know, I'm not affiliated with MS in any way so just sharing what I know / have read. But how it goes with MS. Something gets hyped up, half rolled out, then eventually retired and something else put in its place. In this case though I'm happy to see a consolidated into SharePoint as I didn't really like having a whole separate platform for video hosting that users seemed to never really pay much attention to. So if we can get the Stream feature into SharePoint, and if MS does it right (yeah asking a lot there) then could end up being the best of both platforms. And as Marc with MS below replied they do have migration tools available for moving content over. And I've been telling users (I'm a trainer) to just stop using Stream and start thinking about how you'd host your videos in SharePoint. At the moment I'll still take the better sharing and layout options in SharePoint over the missing features in Stream.