SOLVED

How to share video recording to external using Microsoft stream

Copper Contributor

Hi,

How can I share video recording to external using Microsoft stream?

I find myself as video owner cannot add more email addressed under Update Video Detail - > permissions.

Please advise.

67 Replies

@Sigmund Brandstaetter 
probably usual big mistake of product features designed without enough beta testing by actual users :)

@Danny_Golding 
so you are able to share Teams recorded videos by opening up SharePoint as you mention?

No you cannot. You have to download the video file and then figure out a way to share/send it outside of the Stream platform.

@Patrick_lky 

I use Sway for that.

As a workaround of course... :unamused:

As of 9/22/2020, the roadmap feature for this looks to have been marked as "CANCELED" but the details say it's because it is part of the new functionality for release December CY2020(?) 

• Why was it marked as "CANCELED"?
  • I don't see the ability to enable the feature in the Stream Admin area
  • Do we have to wait until December to see if it's available?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Stream 

Microsoft Stream: Public anonymous external video sharing

(This item is being removed, as it is redundant with Microsoft Stream's new capabilities.) Allow individual videos in Microsoft Stream to be marked for external public access allowing people to view the videos without a login. Stream admins will be able to control if this feature is enabled and who within the organization can make videos publicly available.

@Doug Punchak It really is quite ridiculous and very frustrating the strategy Microsoft has taken with regards to missing core functionality from the host of apps that exist in Microsoft 365.  Apparently not enough people voted to have this core feature integrated, since that's how they decide to fix their apps these days.  I don't know about you, but if my application was missing core functionality, I wouldn't need a vote count to determine if or when it should be fixed and integrated.  I would much prefer they spend their limited resources and funding to fix the apps missing core functionality instead of preparing new fluff features and apps that no one asked for.  I really don't have any other way to say it, but someone there has their head up their you know what.

@Dodge-1350 
indeed, most people just can't be arsed (bothered) to vote, and many don't even know they can

... and they simply move on to another solution

I did not know about the voting. Where do I vote? @vincentacloud 

There may be some light at the end of this tunnel. Looks like Stream is moving to SharePoint which means it may have the same external access capabilities

The New Microsoft Stream

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/new-stream

ZDNet: Microsoft Stream video users: Get ready to migrate (again).
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-stream-video-users-get-ready-to-migrate-again/

@Cian Allner 

The roadmap in Q4 is solid or not? Since we still can't find this in the O365 roadmap site.

Microsoft Stream: Public anonymous external video sharing

Allow individual videos in Microsoft Stream to be marked for external public access allowing people to view the videos without a login. Stream admins will be able to control if this feature is enabled and who within the organization can make videos publicly available.

@Patrick_lky 

One way I've found is to set up a Team with guest users.  You can then add a Stream Channel to that Team and then you're able to share.

@Patrick_lky Looks like we're finally getting this feature! Stream is starting to migrate over to OneDrive and SharePoint. It appears to be happening in phases, with Teams meeting recordings being one of the first things to move. Seems you can enable this starting now from the admin portal, and then you can finally share your recordings with anyone.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/new-stream

Hello,

Has this subject been solved @Patrick_lky ?

Thank you for your reply. 

Best regards, 

Thibaut 

@thuaume410 Yes this indeed has changed, and the default location for recordings to be stored now is OneDrive / SharePoint hence you can now directly allow access. 

29.01.2021_06.19.56_REC.png29.01.2021_06.21.47_REC.png

@Sigmund Brandstaetter 

while this is nice, it also allows everyone the video was shared with to download the file. Is there a way to not allow downloading content once shared with OneDrive?

@Quentin_Fisher Just as an FYI, even if you have access to the Teams channel as a guest, the stream channel tab won't load.  It'll just show a "Failed To Load Channel, Please Try Again" message.

I just want to add that I also am dying for this feature to be added. At the moment I am considering using a different product such as Loom, just so I can share with clients as well as my team, in an easy, non convoluted way. Even if I have to pay.

I second these opinions. I just assumed this would be a feature. Why wouldn't it be?

@redbrickaccounting pretty sure this has been addressed by these recordings now going into OneDrive and if you're org allows you to share outside of the org from OneDrive you should be good to go.

@cfreeman2490 not really. You can share recording files, but that is really only a poor solution (e.g. you cannot control if files are downloaded or not).