SOLVED

External Sharing with Stream or Video

Iron Contributor

I teach kindergarten students and need the ability to give them easy access to videos I've prepared.  I usually do this by creating a QR code for them to scan, but for this to work I need the ability to create a link that is "anyone with link can view".  Please allow external guests to view video.  We are looking for a way to compile vidoe resources to share accross our district but we need the ability to give our youngest learners and thier families easy access...Is this coming soon?

108 Replies

I agree it stinks that we don't have this yet in Stream. We are starting to look at guest users on Stream in the coming months in addition to public anonymous sharing. I hope early next year to have a better update for everyone. Sorry!

Thanks for the update, truly appreciated.  Nowadays, with contractors, partners, inter-companies of a large conglomerate, it's impossible to keep content all "in-house". Office 365 must cover all engagement channels (B2C, B2B, and B2E) across all Office 365 modules, apps and content to be a true swiss knife.

If Sharepoint would have kept such cross channel promise, perhaps we would not even need WordPress so we can fully use the CMS and WCM benefits that were never really fully delivered for public facing scenarios, but that's for another channel :)

This sort of thing is critical in suppporting digital workplace mentality, which microsoft peddle through O365. It may seem like quite a specific piece of functionality, but the concept of a digital workplace suffers from lots of specific pieces of functionality not being available.

Exactly... if Microsoft doesn't quickly adopt a Google like mentality (where B2C workloads) are more readily available, they will be eating the O365's lunch despite being a more well organized and powerful platform. The "corporation" is no longer an island, the contractors, partners and customers must be part of the collaboration process, thus every tool in the ecosystem.

Yes, what ends up happening is that teams then just go off and use their own tools they know will work. A few years down the line and you have a lorry moving in one direction but its contents trying to move in all different directions = lorry starts slowing down and moving erratically.

Has this been resolved yet?

I know things don't move as fast as we'd like. We've been waiting for anonymous and guest access to Microsoft Video and Stream for a couple of years now. Our workaround until they have it completed is to download the original video from Stream and upload it to inexpensive Blob storage in Azure.

You can then either use the direct link, or create a CNAME that uses your branding, but points to the Microsoft link. You can even host a static web page in Blob storage, and include the video in Blob storage as an embed anchor in the static web page. But it's not necessary.

Storing the video in inexpensive Azure Blob storage with a direct link to the video allows you to easily create a QR code to point to that link.

I see how quickly things move at Microsoft, it's now 2 years later and you still haven't given anyone external access?  I'd love to use stream, but as with so many of your products to not be able to share easily outside of my organization (like .. publicly) I don't see the point.

Why would I tell my teams to post videos here?

What is the benefit if I can't use it for external marketing?

Only for internal updates?

I can make a video private on youtube or vimeo

the only reason I would use Stream is for continuity of environment (keeping it inside the MS login world) but this fails to provide a working solution spectacularly.

Great job MS

It's amazing to me that they are so clueless to this fact.  Why force people to go looking for solutions elsewhere, I am so frustrated, it's so illogical when all it takes is one more setting "Share with no login" 

I built a whole custom site based on the fact that I'd seen Lamborgini and a bunch of other examples … only to learn you'd have to login with an MS account before you could see it.

how useless is that?

I guess they only want 365 to be a solution for the really huge businesses, I guess HR could use this if there were 20,000 employees and they were worried about their training getting ripped from youtube?  I really fail to see where this is an attractive solution over Google's stack.

I'm having more and more difficulty in supporting staying on 365, I don't want to even get into the nightmare of licensing that happened when board members of the non profit I'm working for wanted to use their own email addresses to access the board portal I'd setup for them in SharePoint.

Of course they want to use their own email, NO I can't tell a board member "TOUGH" you'll just have to use an account from the organization, you can't use your existing email. (ok, you can, but you'll need to register it first with Microsoft, then I'll need to assign a license to that email … only then will you be able to see what's going on inside the org.   seems extremely annoying when I can just add them to a group in Google and be done with it, no matter what email address they're using.

Same with google sites, easily publish an externally facing site.

Why would you remove this ability MS?  WHY?

@Koraunui Administrator wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that as of Aug 2017 there is no way to publically share videos stored in either Stream or Video? and that there is no timeframe for this to become available? Im asking as we need to have our videos imbedded in our school website and have been forced to move our school website external to o365 due to Microsoft stopping from hosting public websites. I now need to find a way around this. It seems that at present we need to allow our school staff to use Google Services and accounts so that they can use youtube. This will result in them migrating to Google so that all their services are in the one place. Surely that is not where Microsoft are heading?

The only update they have given is :

Microsoft Stream: Public anonymous external video sharing

Allow individual videos in Microsoft Stream to be marked for external public access allowing the video to be embeded in a public website. Anyone in the world can view these external videos without a login. Stream admins will be able to control if this feature is enabled and who within the organization can make videos publicly available.

• Featured ID: 27728
  • Added to Roadmap: 4/26/2018
  • Last Modified: 1/14/2019
  • Tags: Microsoft Stream

This is supposed to come to us in Q2 this year, but none of the Microsoft Team has given additional updates on the time frame yet. The fact that they did not have such a major functionality included in their product is just mind blowing, even worse that they've taken this long to correct it with little to no correspondence with customers.

Reference site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=stream#owRoadmapMainConte...

It's just weird to me how such a big company could be so out of touch with it's user base.
I can't be the only one frustrated by this, it's not just steam, it's all their products, same with sharepoint, why would I not be able to create a customer service hub for example, with some help resources like videos and pdf's about how to use my product.

I can't, because I'd have to share it with people outside my company and I can't since they'd have to login and have a license from MS to use it.

So useless.

You can do what MS does! Make a copy of the video and upload it to YouTube.

Today appeared a new roadmap update:
Release: March CY2019

Microsoft Stream: Public anonymous external video sharing

Allow individual videos in Microsoft Stream to be marked for external public access allowing the video to be embeded in a public website. Anyone in the world can view these external videos without a login. Stream admins will be able to control if this feature is enabled and who within the organization can make videos publicly available.

Featured ID: 27728
Added to Roadmap: 4/26/2018
Last Modified: 2/21/2019
Tags: Microsoft Stream

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=stream

**ANGRY FACE**

Really appreciate the direct feedback here folks. We understand that this is an important feature for many customers and are working to make it (and other asked for features) available. The current target date for public anonymous external sharing is Q3 of 2019 (we're in the process of updating the public roadmap). I'll try to keep this thread up to date as we get closer to releasing this.

That's promising news. Is there an outline feature list? E.g. sharing capabilities like embedding etc.?

@Chad West The timeline on the Roadmap was pushed back to Q4 2019 already.

I was wondering how to do this, so I figured it out.

Download like so:

download-stream.png

Then upload to YouTube.