SOLVED

External Sharing with Stream or Video

Iron Contributor

I teach kindergarten students and need the ability to give them easy access to videos I've prepared.  I usually do this by creating a QR code for them to scan, but for this to work I need the ability to create a link that is "anyone with link can view".  Please allow external guests to view video.  We are looking for a way to compile vidoe resources to share accross our district but we need the ability to give our youngest learners and thier families easy access...Is this coming soon?

108 Replies

I wouldn't recommend switching purely to a group model, since in many cases, having company wide access is absolutely desired.  ...and right now, not sure I can have a group which incorporates the entire University.

I would say, though, that having external access is absolutely necessary to see any widespread adoption of Stream within my University.  Please get some engineers working on this!

Totally agreed

I also have the same problem. I am working at University. Requiring login for each attempt is also bad experience for higher education students.
What is the roadmap/timeline for Stream to have external viewing access?

Teams has recently expanded its capabilities for guest users to have non AAD accounts.  How does this relate to Stream? Stream has always been an AAD account access only product, will we be able to open this up to non AAD guest accounts?

@Janet Thorson

We are starting work now for public anonymous - where you can mark a video is public, grab an embed code and put it on a public place, where anyone can access. After that we'll start looking at named authenticated guest users, but I'm not sure if we'll get to named guests this year yet or not. We'll revaluate for Q3/Q4 to see if we have time.

@Brian Clayton - The guest support in Teams isn't related to Stream at all. Guest users won't have access to the content in Stream until we do similar support as Teams did.

Is sharing with external viewers available now? My organization also has training videos that we currently link to Microsoft Mix. 

Also, with Mix, I am able to hyperlink a survey in the ppt presentation. What is a good alternative since Mix converts the ppt into a video?

https://mix.office.com/watch/17d9d8ger1lcx

Thank you

@FACE null - We do not have external public anonymous viewing available yet. We are in development on it. 

Mix did support survey/polls directly. However at this time Stream does not have that support. We will be looking at adding some cool stuff from Mix over the course of time, but right now that will be a ways out. Sorry.

For more info on Office Mix going away see this article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/migrate-your-content-from-office-mix-c1c04f84-a7bb-4602-964...

Thank you for your response. 

Sorry, but we will have to take our services elsewhere that can accommodate what we are trying to accomplish with sharing our videos. 

FACE 

Marc,

Any timeline on the public anonymous for Stream?

Thanks,

Steve

You can create a Security Principal in O365 buy just adding an unlicensed user to your Azure AD.  I was up against the same issue and this worked for me, your AD/Security team may not like it but in a pinch it did work as of 5/16/2018 00:12 CST!

Youtube does seem like the ideal solution. This conversation has gone on for a long time and nothing has been fixed.

Checking to see if this thread has new updates. Similar to above scenarios in education, we'd like to use videos to train our vendors/partners/users but so far Stream require a license even for viewing only.

Hopefully, there will be some timeline by the Stream team.

Any update to allowing External Guest users access to Stream? Almost all the other O365 services now support external access and Teams has done a great job of providing the ability to switch tenancy. 

Similar need to enable partners to view videos. 

For those looking for work around, only option I've found it to upload to a document library in SharePoint then embed on a page.

Riccardo

Fully support the question and the compliment.  I think MS has done a great job is making Office 365 apps 'safe' to share with externals and hope that this request to include Stream in the process becomes an active Roadmap item with a delivery date asap.

Steve

@Marc Mroz - Any status on how this permissions stuff is coming?

@Riccardo Gozzi wrote:

Any update to allowing External Guest users access to Stream? Almost all the other O365 services now support external access and Teams has done a great job of providing the ability to switch tenancy. 

Similar need to enable partners to view videos. 

For those looking for work around, only option I've found it to upload to a document library in SharePoint then embed on a page.

I've also helped staff use Sway to share video externally.

Microsoft Stream is a half-baked solution at best.  I have wasted too much time in trying to get it to do what we need.

Any update on this yet?

I'm appalled by the fact that 1 year later this simple issue is not addressed. TEAMS allows us to save a video in Stream (great idea), but yet cannot share this video with the external meeting attendees (even anonymously).