SOLVED

External Sharing with Stream or Video

Iron Contributor

I teach kindergarten students and need the ability to give them easy access to videos I've prepared.  I usually do this by creating a QR code for them to scan, but for this to work I need the ability to create a link that is "anyone with link can view".  Please allow external guests to view video.  We are looking for a way to compile vidoe resources to share accross our district but we need the ability to give our youngest learners and thier families easy access...Is this coming soon?

108 Replies

@Jennifer Seitsinger, we are tracking that capability as a very high priority work item but can't commit to a timeline yet. Thank you for trying Stream and we'll keep you posted via our forum and blog.

Am I correct in thinking that as of Aug 2017 there is no way to publically share videos stored in either Stream or Video? and that there is no timeframe for this to become available? Im asking as we need to have our videos imbedded in our school website and have been forced to move our school website external to o365 due to Microsoft stopping from hosting public websites. I now need to find a way around this. It seems that at present we need to allow our school staff to use Google Services and accounts so that they can use youtube. This will result in them migrating to Google so that all their services are in the one place. Surely that is not where Microsoft are heading?

@Koraunui Administrator - yes, you are correct that we don't have ability to make videos accessible without AAD credentials. We are working on this but unable to share a specific timeline as we are still in early design stages. It's a top priority on our side though and we will keep you updated here.

Also, for your scenario - I assume these videos are public anonymous (anyone can watch) access right? 

I just fell over this exact same problem too.

The promotional videos for Stream make it sound like sharing to anyone is absolutely there, but it only is internal now. That is a 100% road-block. We wanted to use this for internal and external training videos. I will not fragment our video protals to work arount a restriction like this, it would only confuse the people in the different departments. it does not make sense to not have this option from the get go.

We will have to move to Youtube instead - not business oriented, and i would have preferred not to use it but it does the job.

Correct, I'm wanting to create QR codes for my students to scan that will take them to the video...wihout logging in. The login process for kindergarten students is time consuming!!

Can you tell me if there is an official feedback link where users interested in this upcoming feature can keep track of the latest status of the enhancement?  Is it in "User Voice"?  

best response confirmed by David Lee-Olmstead (Microsoft)
Solution

We track all the ideas from all of you here on the MS Tech Community in the "Ideas" section.

Typically external videos feature request come in 2 flavors.

1. Pure public / anonymous video - where anyone with a link / embed code can watch the video without logging in.

Idea in the forums for Public / anonymous video: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Ideas/Public-videos/idc-p/93045#M652

2. Guest users - Where you type in the email of a person you want to share with and they have to login in some way with Org ID or MSA to see a video.

Idea in the forums for guest users: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Ideas/External-Guests/idc-p/95557#M663

Hi Microsoft,

As a teacher, I totally agree that you need to allow a choice between 'within company' and 'anyone with link/QR code 'view'.  You have this in MS Forms, so let's get this for Stream!

Until then, this service cannot be useful for me as a teacher.

Thanks

Ben Lovett

I wanted to ask if anyone knows information on the migration from Office Mix to Stream. Currently, my company uses this for a training tool which we embed into ProProfs. It works brilliantly. However, we have started the migration of our mixes and the proprofs page will not play the video via Stream. It asks you to log in. The problem is we are a small non-profit with about 30 office accounts while we have about 150 more independent contractors (without Office accounts) which need access to these trainings. I am very concerned as everything I am reading says this is not possible but that has to be wrong. Why would you get rid of Officemix if the capabilities are not ready in the new system? I need help!! Please. Is there a way to make the videos available either to the public or to be used by asking someone to sign in if you have shared it with their personal email address which is not an office account? 

@Kirsten Boone - Unfortunately we don't have all the features that Office Mix has in Microsoft Stream. At this point in time it's not a full replacement for Mix. Over the course of time we would like to be able to do more of the things Mix could do in Stream, but as you said right now we don't.

In particular sharing Stream videos with people who are external to your organization is on our backlog/roadmap to do in Stream, but we don't yet know when we'll be able to pick up that work and do it. We are hoping for sometime the first half of 2018, but since we don't have engineers actively working on the project right now it's hard for us to make a commitment/promise.

Office Mix was a "beta" product and we've decided to eventually stop the service, I understand it's painful that we don't have a replacement for you at this point in time. Sorry.

Vishal,

Does your AAD ID include external registered users for accessing these video's.  I understand the frustration of Office Mix going but wanted to confirm that If Videos are uploaded to Stream that external sharing is available for registered accounts in AAD..

Thanks

Steve

It's 2018/ Does it work?

We too will have to move to some other solution but I'd really prefer to stay on 365

t did not work for us. No matter what we did - nothing worked. We have since started converting our mixes to Vimeo video links so we don't lose them when the transition is final. We have our training through the mixes we use and then we use ProProfs for LDManagement. Hope that helps or they fix it soon. Not likely though.

Wow. Guess I'm uploading this training video to YouTube, then. What the heck, Microsoft!?

I have 3000+ users and have resorted to using a paid service to prevent the advertising popups that come with YouTube. The entire security model in Stream is useless (try changing who can view a channel after it's created). Strongly considering migrating to gmail.

@Steve Dalby wrote:

Vishal,

Does your AAD ID include external registered users for accessing these video's.  I understand the frustration of Office Mix going but wanted to confirm that If Videos are uploaded to Stream that external sharing is available for registered accounts in AAD..

Thanks

Steve

Stream does not yet support external users in any way. Even if you have external users registered in your AAD outside of Stream, they will not be able to access videos.

External anonymous and guest access is on our list to try and work on in 2018. 

@Ryan Gardner wrote:
I have 3000+ users and have resorted to using a paid service to prevent the advertising popups that come with YouTube. The entire security model in Stream is useless (try changing who can view a channel after it's created). Strongly considering migrating to gmail.

If you use groups in stream you can change who can view/edit/own, but channels are either companywide (everyone can view) or part of group and inherit from the group.

We realize this current model has it's downfalls like you mentioned above. In 2018 we are looking at moving away from companywide channels and making all channels be in a group. That way you can always have the permission control on the group level, with the added benefit of having the home page for the group and be able to have other channels be also under that group for more organization.

Using Stream to share video content with external users was one of the primary reasons to use Office 365. I can't believe this feature is not available. Don't know why we bother dealing with Microsoft sometimes. I'm considering cancelling the Office 365 subscription for my company.

This is just another example of how Microsoft carelessly ventured in to the educational area without changing a single thing from its business solution. It is a mockery of all the schools who are trying hard to build up a viable IT solution. A school is not a business and you cannot simply assume that cause it works in business' it will work in schools. The minute the new Data rules are implimented in Germany we'll be taking our business to Google - who actually appears to give a f... about Schools -  pardon my language! 

Fix it or stay away from education! Period! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Lee-Olmstead (Microsoft)
Solution

We track all the ideas from all of you here on the MS Tech Community in the "Ideas" section.

Typically external videos feature request come in 2 flavors.

1. Pure public / anonymous video - where anyone with a link / embed code can watch the video without logging in.

Idea in the forums for Public / anonymous video: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Ideas/Public-videos/idc-p/93045#M652

2. Guest users - Where you type in the email of a person you want to share with and they have to login in some way with Org ID or MSA to see a video.

Idea in the forums for guest users: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Ideas/External-Guests/idc-p/95557#M663

View solution in original post