SOLVED

External Sharing with Stream or Video

Iron Contributor

I teach kindergarten students and need the ability to give them easy access to videos I've prepared.  I usually do this by creating a QR code for them to scan, but for this to work I need the ability to create a link that is "anyone with link can view".  Please allow external guests to view video.  We are looking for a way to compile vidoe resources to share accross our district but we need the ability to give our youngest learners and thier families easy access...Is this coming soon?

108 Replies
Totally agree with @Jeff Lamb
For example I need to share a recorded video of an internal course to one of our customer. YouTube is not the solution, Stream with external anonymous access is the right tool.

@mbowgren you said: "Stream seems like it is for collaboration work primarily for recorded meetings and trainings internally."

Microsoft has designed this for internal tenant use -- the problem with that is that almost 100% of our Microsoft Teams meetings that we need to record are for a client (which of course is NOT internal to the tenant). We (and apparently a LOT of Stream users are like us) need to be able to have an easy way to record a meeting or online training, and make it available on a limited basis for those clients we go through this with. 

I have started to download the MP4, and save the recording in OneDrive for Business, which I CAN share with my clients -- but what a hoop to have to jump through when I could just share the Stream video directly.

For THIS type of use, Microsoft has committed to making Stream a sharable application. Eventually. It's just that "Eventually" keeps getting pushed back.

YouTube is A solution; it's just not the ideal solution. Today if you need an anonymous link, you CAN get that in YouTube -- and anyone with that link has access to your video. It does not need to be shared with the world. The problem with this is simply that you have to move the video file and create the appropriate privileges in YouTube along with the anonymous link, which is a set of steps you shouldn't need to take with video that already resides in Stream.

@David McKnight, while YouTube is a solution, it now takes company property, if you will, out of the tenant and puts it into a third party non-controlled site.  I agree that external sharing should be allowed especially if you record a Teams meeting that has guest members so that they can refer back to or if by chance they miss they can watch it.

@Jeffrey Allen, it would be interesting to know if the terms of service are substantially different between YouTube and Stream. While Stream appears to host company IP in one's Office 365 tenant, it is still in a third-party environment, and only as protected as much as the ToS provide.

In that Microsoft hosts Microsoft videos in YouTube, they don't appear to be overly concerned. That does not make YOUR concern invalid. We depend on O365 to manage confidential business processes, yet the value for the price makes me somewhat concerned that we also get what we pay for.

Good comments, thanks!

@David McKnight, I don't know the differences in the ToS and while I agree both are 3rd party, I have admin privileges in O365 and don't on YouTube and so I have a little more control with Microsoft.  YouTube is public where in Microsoft if Stream videos can be allowed externally we can control it a little better.

@Jeff Lamb  Also, we are hearing from our German colleagues that the translation is mostly wrong and they are having to go back in and correct it. Asked if they could share externally to a user so that they could have it edited for correct translation.

Would be an ideal situation to try. 

@Luca Vitali This is the feature and use case that we need as well.  We do a lot of Demo calls with potential clients and I want to record the call to prove the power of Teams, then edit the video, upload a new one and share with specific private people.  Hoping the workflow can be updated to a Q2 position as it seems like a permissions cloning similar to Onedrive. 

Q4 2020 Now

There must be some interesting aspects to how they have this all coded if its this hard to make a video public.  Maybe its all just "that" secure eh? Probably not, but its nice to dream.

It's not that hard guys, come on, you can do it!! 

It's not a security issue, you already allow to download the *.mp4 file. Just automate the move from Streams to OneDrive. Create a button "Move to OneDrive", we will do the rest.

You don't want to be doing that move click by click, waiting for the download, waiting for the upload, hoping anything crashes everytime with a 1Gb file of a two hours training.

I trust you, give us good news soon.

@David McKnight 
Really, should I whip up my old film camera too? Why can't we broadcast to everyone? It is called "stream", so allow it to stream. Insane. 

@Jake BurgyI don't think I will hold my breath. But what cracks me up and is when it does finally roll out in 2021 or 2022 we are all supposed to be so excited, elated like bread was just sliced. Not that MS is finally catching up after a decade.

@bbyrdi Think you are wrong here. I like that Microsoft is valuing privacy, and i think it's just this one company who still cares about privacy by design. And in order to share company recorder meeting there is a lot of legislation needed to be included in the process to share the recording outside the company. So i like how they are planning to do it and include separate administrator role who could make videos public. Because to fell save inside the company i want to know that video's are safe and secure :) 

And if you want to share a video to someone - you can have the tools you have - one drive, SharePoint, and other services that allow video sharing :)  

@bbyrd - It is useless snarky commentary like this that diminishes the usefulness of the MS Tech Community. 

After following this thread for I guess two years or something - I think i’ll check out - I t has taken them so long that I no longer work with MS. I know it might diminish the technical quality of the discussion here, but the comments here express a deep frustration from typically administrators having to answer to a lot of users with demands. And it is bloody hard to explain a modern user that his or her video can only be shared on the platform available within the organisation. I hope for the people here who are forced to work with Stream that it comes - I wont recommend it to my worst enemy .. all the best

@Kasper Rothaus - I appreciate this comment.  It is my frustration having to answer a multitude of questions from clients (internal/external) that raise my frustration.  This needs to be developed into a tool. 

@N8KnottinghamAnd I'm here because my ceo is trying to share his recording with a client. "Glad" I found this thread and can report back that downloading the video is the only solution currently.

@joemccla So was this released in Q3 2019 or are we still waiting for Q4 of 2020?

I agree Stream is for collaboration but to give you a real example - we are working with another company and doing great collaboration in a shared Team in their tenant (we are guests). However, any recordings of meetings we have cannot be shared in that tenant. I agree that just opening up for public viewing would not fit the product, but I also cannot select guest users in my AD, so cannot share videos with federated guests.

@mbowgren  As a business we would like to take our Teams recordings and share them with clients after a client meeting. Teams recordings nicely go to Stream when they are done. Getting that recording into the clients' hands is a nightmare. We want to have a protected way of sharing the Streams recording with them that does not involve Youtube or a large number of <20mb files via Outlook. This could be a great win for MS. Most companies have O365 licenses but sharing or collaborating across organizations is an utter nightmare without chain linking 3rd party solutions.