SOLVED

Editing a Transcript

Brass Contributor

First off...  Loving Stream already.  We will be transitioning to O365 and SharePoint Online very soon, and this is one of the MANY features that our company needs/wants and will LOVE!

I was amazed at how quickly the video files prodcessed and the transcription process created the text.  Just Awesome!  As with and Speach to Text process, there are some words that didn't come through perfectly.  What is the process for editing the transcript to fix these slight imperfections?

Thanks!

Matt Engel

Two Men and a Truck International

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Matt Engel (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Thanks Matt, glad you ar liking Stream.

Right now we don't have a transcription editor in Stream directly. However you can download the auto-generated caption file, edit it locally in a text editor and re-upload it.

So it would be as follows...

- After the autogenerated caption file is created and shows the transcript mode on the video.

- Edit the video

- Options section > Captions > "Download file"

- Open up the .VTT file downloaded in a text editor, make corrections, etc.

- Go back and edit the video > Options > Captions

- Uncheck the "autogenerate a caption file" check box.

- "Upload a caption" file button.

- Upload your edited .VTT file.

We'll then use your new custom caption file for the transcript mode and deep search.

NOTE: We'll be adding ability to edit the transcript direclty in Stream in the future as I know the above isn't intuitive or easy.

Thanks Marc!

That works perfectly!  I could see it being a little complicated for end users, but power users and admins shouldn't have too much trouble with this workaround until there is something more robust.

These new features are great!

Thanks again!

Matt

Is there any way to download the transcripts of a large set of videos?  I just uploaded about 50 videos and want to download the transcripts so I can make it available to search across videos.

Regards,

Howard

We don't have public APIs yet, so there is no way to download the transcripts for a bunch of videos.

When we do start work on public REST APIs I'm not sure if we'll include this ability or not to download transcripts. Can you explain more what you are trying to do with downloading the transcripts and how you want to use them in another system?

Hi.  This is my first time trying to edit the transcript text.  I only see download video, not download file.  Can you help with this?

thanks,

Sandi

Hi Marc

I do not see download transcripts, on download video.

Can you help me?

Thank you

Sandi 

@Marc Mroz 

I was able to find a link to download but is full of extra script.  Any suggestions on a quick way to edit or download in a specific program?

@Marc Mroz 

Hi, I've been following these instructions and its much easier to edit a transcript this way than in Stream. However, when I get to this step:

Go back and edit the video > Options > Captions

I find the check box greyed out and only the Download file option available.  

I originally uploaded a file, then found out it needed further editing and downloaded it. Now I am ready to upload the edited version and I'm stuck.

Is there a way to just delete the original uploaded transcript?  Or another way to upload a replacement file?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Matt Engel (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Thanks Matt, glad you ar liking Stream.

Right now we don't have a transcription editor in Stream directly. However you can download the auto-generated caption file, edit it locally in a text editor and re-upload it.

So it would be as follows...

- After the autogenerated caption file is created and shows the transcript mode on the video.

- Edit the video

- Options section > Captions > "Download file"

- Open up the .VTT file downloaded in a text editor, make corrections, etc.

- Go back and edit the video > Options > Captions

- "Upload a caption" file button.

- Upload your edited .VTT file.

We'll then use your new custom caption file for the transcript mode and deep search.

NOTE: We'll be adding ability to edit the transcript direclty in Stream in the future as I know the above isn't intuitive or easy.

View solution in original post