Download original video as an mp4

Occasional Visitor

Hi! I created some videos in my stream and need to download them as either a .mp4, .mov, or .avi type of file. Right now it's only downloading as a .webm file. How do I fix this?

12 Replies

@kbaker765  You can not choose the format you want to download a video in Stream. It downloads the format you or the tool has uploaded. You have to do the conversion on your computer with a tool to mp4!

The valid Input formats you can find here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/input-audio-video-formats-codecs

Matroska/WebM (.mkv) is listed!

Downloading from Stream in .webm format makes the file useless to add directly to a Sway. Sway will not accept a .webm file as a 'drag and drop' or as an embed. As an example, if I create a screen recording in Stream I cannot directly use it in Sway because it only downloads as a .webm. Surely the incompatibility is an oversight? @kbaker765

Howdy!! quick solution would be to trim a part of that video like 2 seconds within microsoft stream and then try to download it again. This time it downloads in mp4 format. 

It worked for me. Hope it works for you. Thanks

@Tomislav Karafilov That is a strange limitation. The entire world uses MP4 - why would our buddies at MS choose .WEBM? There has to be another way...

@kbaker765 Thank you for the tip! It worked! @microsoft, surely this is something that you should be able to fix. 

@Skyfalls65 

Yup. That worked for me! (Now who would have guessed ...?)

Great suggestion and easy fix!! How in the world did you stumble across that solution?

Yes - this worked for me too - great find. @TroyK26 

@Skyfalls65, that is a brilliant solution. Thanks for point it out. :)
It worked for me thanks. However, be cautious this solution has a flaw as well. I've had an original portrait aspect video and after trimming it expands to landscape with black bars and as a result, it experiences a severe drop of quality. Whew...

@Erwinas try Duo Video Converter, which is a free download from the MS store to convert the file to MP4.

@georearl @Erwinas Second the Duo Video Converter app. I use this all the time to trim and edit video recordings out of MS Teams that are auto created by Stream. And bonus - Duo gives some general easy video editing features as well.