SOLVED

Disable Downloading in Stream

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to prevent downloading of the original video or make it available only to certain people (like owners)?

16 Replies
best response confirmed by Ed Williams (Copper Contributor)
Solution

AFAIK, the answer is no.

After testing around the office, it appears that the "Edit, delete, and Download Original" only appear for the owners of the video.  But you are spot on, there is no way to be sure about the behavior.  This prevents us from posting stockholder related information related to the Safe Harbor regulations.

The answer is no, but is the functionnality will be available in the future ? Wen need to manage wo can download a video because video is an entreprise asset. Thanks
Sorry i haven't see the Rd Wiliams answer about the fact as the download option is only available for owner of the video... so it's cool !
Thanks
The original video is only available to the owner of the video. You other users cannot download the video.
Just keep in mind that if you grant owner rights on the video to anyone else they can download it (and edit it and delete it and so on).

-Geoff

I hope you soon add the option to select if a video should be downloadable for all users, only owner and all in my organisation or a group.

@Ed Williams As you know, MS Teams changed the location of conference video storage from MS Stream to somewhere local in MS Teams in Aug 2020. Does anyone know how we could disable downloading for some users in a channel? 

So if I understand this thread correctly, anyone within an organization who can view a video published with Stream is also able to download that video. There is no way to disable that feature and provide "view only" access to large audiences?
Now the video is stored in a SharePoint site instead by a software update. So you can disable/view only to anyone who you want. (The software update rollout timing would be different at your site though.)
Thanks for the quick response! This is helpful info. Appreciate it. :)
Pleasure. You can go to SharePoint then you could add/remove the view rights.

Based on our testing a video Saved to SharePoint in the new Stream has a download link for anyone with view permissions. Bummer.  

Indeed - we elected to use Vimeo instead for video streaming for this reason as we only want to make content available to registered customers. IT would have been nicer to switch to Stream but without this functionality it just makes it too easy for people to get access to our content who shouldn't :(
@Craig Chambers and @HarryKnott Removing the ability to download a video can be set by configuring a custom permission setting for Restricted Read. Then that download option is removed.

@karen_dredske how do you do that exactly since I don‘t really understand the custom permission options.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ed Williams (Copper Contributor)
Solution

AFAIK, the answer is no.

View solution in original post