SOLVED

Closed Captoins

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Is there a plan for having a WYSIWYG interface for closed captioning? Or is the download/upload the best to expect for now?

Thanks.

9 Replies
best response confirmed by AJ Scogz (Brass Contributor)
Solution

We are working on a transcript editor, however there are a few bugs/fixes we want to do before we open it up to everyone.

Our initial implementation will re-use the "Transcript" window on the player page and allow you to put it into edit mode to make changes to the transcript if you own the video. Due to this design decision, transcript / closed caption editing directly in Stream (to start) will only be available to users with E5/Stream P2 licenses. We likely will eventually rearrange the player page and video edit page which would allow us to move closed caption edit out of being an E5/Stream P2 only thing. However we don't have a solid plan for that now.

If you want to try out the transcript editor as it is right now in it's beta/unfinished state, you can do so with a special "hidden" query string.

As a user with E5/Stream P2 license, go to a video you own, on the player page, add the following to the end of the URL: ?TranscriptEdit=true

So it would look like this: 

https://web.microsoftstream.com/video/725345c5-4690-4fd5-8778-4182835ecfbc?TranscriptEdit=true

This is still not on for everyone and is hidden behind the query string because we still have some optimizations and fixes to do before it's ready. But you can try it out early and beta test it and give us any feedback.

Transcript edit - edit button.png

Transcript edit - change word.png

That's fantastic, thank you Marc! 

Happy holidays.

Wow, I already started playing with this, and I think this will work for us for the time being. 

I appreciate it!

Adding @Adarsh Solanki to this forum thread, as he is the PM from Stream working on the transcript editor if there is any other feedback/questions.

Thanks for adding me, @Marc Mroz!

@AJ Scogz - I'm glad you find this useful!  Feel free to reach out any time if you have any suggestions/comments on this feature.

Will do, thank you!  @Adarsh Solanki

We're taking a slight reprieve from things right now but should be in touch in a few weeks if anything comes up.

Thanks.

@Adarsh Solanki

So feedback, right? 

• Do you plan on having a way in which the user can add additional captions? The one I was working on cut the end of the last sentences off and I couldn't add anything further. 
  • Also, for some reason I was getting a "cannot save" error.
  • Instead of the next line of the transcript fading to be highlighted as the video plays, is it possible for that to transition to be more instant? Using that fade alone, I had a rather difficult time figuring out when the next caption line was to begin.

I changed the VTT file for the time being, but that's all I got for now. Otherwise, I like it. 

Thanks for the feedback!

• Yes, we eventually want to allow for splitting/adding of captions, but for now don't support any advanced caption or time-code editing
  • Can you provide more context here?  Is this reproducible consistently?
  • Yes, I can look into our options for quickening this animation.

@Adarsh Solanki

Looks like it was just a thing happening one day.

I got it to work this time.

Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AJ Scogz (Brass Contributor)
Solution

We are working on a transcript editor, however there are a few bugs/fixes we want to do before we open it up to everyone.

Our initial implementation will re-use the "Transcript" window on the player page and allow you to put it into edit mode to make changes to the transcript if you own the video. Due to this design decision, transcript / closed caption editing directly in Stream (to start) will only be available to users with E5/Stream P2 licenses. We likely will eventually rearrange the player page and video edit page which would allow us to move closed caption edit out of being an E5/Stream P2 only thing. However we don't have a solid plan for that now.

If you want to try out the transcript editor as it is right now in it's beta/unfinished state, you can do so with a special "hidden" query string.

As a user with E5/Stream P2 license, go to a video you own, on the player page, add the following to the end of the URL: ?TranscriptEdit=true

So it would look like this: 

https://web.microsoftstream.com/video/725345c5-4690-4fd5-8778-4182835ecfbc?TranscriptEdit=true

This is still not on for everyone and is hidden behind the query string because we still have some optimizations and fixes to do before it's ready. But you can try it out early and beta test it and give us any feedback.

Transcript edit - edit button.png

Transcript edit - change word.png

View solution in original post