API and/or PowerShell for managing MS Stream

Steel Contributor

good morning folks

I'm unsure if this question has ever been posted (at least i couldn't find any entry here).

I would like to know if there are cmdlets available for retrieving statistical MS Stream Data?

for instance getting data like --> how many videos have been uploaded...individual size info...tenant storage size...etc..etc

In regards to API i have read that MS is working on that later this year without giving any ETA :(

thank you

stefan

32 Replies

Maybe you @Marc Mroz can answer my question ? :)

thank you

For sure the not Microsoft Stream cmdlets at the moment. In regards of the Stream API, you are correct: it is not finished yet.
Hi Juan carlos

You mean there are no current cmdlets , right?
I'm wondering how one should manage / analyze things within MS stream?

An Organization would like to see the usage , video uploads, meeting recordings,etc....or am i the only one?

Thanks
Stefan

is it not important for customers to see whats going on within MS Streams ?

i mean with all the video recording capabilities you have now inside of MS Teams it is pretty important to get transparency and visibility.

Getting at least a bunch of cmdlets is the minimum i would expect.

i really would like to hear your thoughts/opinion on that.

Are there no opinions on that topic?

Thank you

I will try my luck again (after 2 month of no information or hints) and ask if there is a possibility to retrieve statistical data from MS Stream (see my original post)

@Marc Mrozi appreciate any help

thank you

Sorry for not responding in a while. We've been heads down getting live events ready and I've not be free to answer here. The first response to your post is still accurate. 

We currently do not have any Stream APIs or powershell cmdlets. 

There isn't a way to get stats out of Stream programmatically.

The only thing that *might* help you is that we do send an audit log event each time a video is viewed to the O365 Audit log. They do have APIs, so I believe you could use the O365 Audit log APIs to pull out the events corresponding to when a person viewed a video.

We are in the process of getting started in earnest on both analytics for videos in Stream and Public REST APIs. We can make sure that when we do both of those projects that the new video level stats we build is exposed via the new public REST APIs we will be building.

Thank you @Marc Mroz.

The Audit logs are pretty useful if i want to measure the activity within my MS Stream world. However my major requirement was to find ways to analyze what is the consumption from a storage point of view -- reading the size of each individual uploaded videos

So is there really no way to read "somehow" the size information of each video which has been uploaded ? :)

You said, "...We are in the process of getting started in earnest on both analytics for videos in Stream and Public REST APIs".

So i guess this will include the storage information..right ?

thanks again

stefan

Storage (MB consumed) information wasn't on the short list. Can you add an idea for this in the ideas forum so others can vote on it and their comments? https://aka.ms/StreamIdeas

@Ashish Chawla - FYI on request for deeper / granular ways to see how much video storage is being used for Stream.

Storage (MB consumed) information wasn't on the short list. Can you add an idea for this in the ideas forum so others can vote on it and their comments? https://aka.ms/StreamIdeas

@Ashish Chawla - FYI on request for deeper / granular ways to see how much video storage is being used for Stream.

Channel wise reporting (with size information), is marked as a "Required" feature for us too. 

Any news on this topic? Without an API this is useless for my company

no news (unfortunately)

and i agree wit you @George_T

Yep, no news...but they will come :-). For now at least we are going forward in the transition to Stream: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/migration-experience

By default when uploading a video in Stream "allow everyone in your company to view this video"  is selected. We work in a health organisation and cant risk making mistakes with sharing by our employees, Is there anyway to have this option deselected by default?

well, usually if you upload a video to a Companywide channel then the checkbox is ON by default.

if you upload a video to a group channel then this checkbox is OFF.

so in my opinion it works as designed.

i'm not aware of any possibility to change this default behaviour  --> except if you change the channel to a group channel

kr

stefan

according to the roadmap. the api is now in development and we "should" expect it around Q3 of 2019 :\ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Stream
Q3 of 2019 has ended I guess. Is there any update on API for streams.
Q3 of 2019 has ended I guess. Any update on API for streams.