Activating Microsoft Stream

Brass Contributor

Here's a conversation I had today with my very risk-averse Infrastructure Manager:

[Me]
Please would you allow MS Stream to be enabled for me?
[Infrastructure Manager]
Turning on Stream has a whole load of implications globally. I'm afraid we are just not in a position to review those implications. 
​[Me]
Does Stream need to turned on globally? I thought it was like Teams in that it is activated per users?
[Infrastructure Manager]
Teams had to have changes made globally to allow the release of teams to individuals. Stream is the same.
​[Me]
So if it the same as Teams in that respect I don't understand how it can't be managed on a per user basis for now. What global changes need turning on the ability to turn on Stream for an individual have?
[Infrastructure Manager]
Enabling a service is not just about assigning a licence.

Does anyone have any ideas what this guy might be referring to by "Teams had to have changes made globally to allow the release of teams to individuals. Stream is the same."  ?

3 Replies
Hi @MaryHill

Stream is enabled on a per user basis via licencing.

However, what the infrastructure manager is probably referring to is the administration settings of the Stream service - such as what users can do in terms of content and channel creation, acceptance policies - as well as the ability to create Office 365 groups via the Stream service. They also have to consider how the organisation as a whole will use video. It is their role to ask - how can it be administered, controlled, what happens if someone uploads questionable content, they have to ensure the service is compliant, the data is housed in the right data centres. How and where will it be used (I.e. in Teams or will the Stream service be used seperately). Generally speaking, you would want to have all these bases covered before the service is used in anger, but also simply restricting a service pushes users to consider alternatives

So this isn't a defence of one side or another. Administration and use go together, so my recommendation is to set up a proof of concept/pilot with the service so the admin and a set number of users (5-6) can work together and test the service, see how it works, and meets the needs of the organisation. I personally love Stream and it goes together well with Teams, hope you get going with it soon

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

Hi @Christopher Hoard ,

Thank you very much for responding.

My new role is the Digital Skills Manager at the University I work in, but I have a very technical background having worked in Higher Education IT for nearly 30 years.  My focus at the moment is driving the adoption of Teams for all staff and eventually all students.  Without Stream being made available I can't promote the recording of meetings.

All your comments "how can it be administered, controlled, what happens if someone uploads questionable content, they have to ensure the service is compliant, the data is housed in the right data centres." are valid business and policy matters, and indeed need to be addressed.

I want to be the proof of concept you talk about.  In your opinion, are there any settings or configurations that mean if the Global Admins activate Stream just for me, then they are opening it for any others too?

I have the O365 Global Admin Reader role, but I can't access the Azure Admin Center.  I don't know what the Global Admins have to do to enable me to have access, and as such they can hide behind comments like "there's more to it than just enabling it for individual users, like Teams".  I want them to engage with me, and for that I could with knowing what settings they actually have to activate for Stream.  Is there any way you could tell me some more detail of the technical configuration that is needed to activate Stream?  I would really appreciate and technical detail you could share with me.

Hi @MaryHill

Sorry - been at MVP Summit so haven't been able to respond sooner

All that is needed, for Stream to work for you, is to activate it on your licence. Then you will be able to use stream at https://web.microsoftstream.com, you should be able to record videos in Teams, use the Stream app. This won't open it up to other users. From how you use Stream, it could actually be useful for them to observe how you use it in order to give them the feedback they need to make any adjustments in the Stream Admin portal (I.e. prevent companywide channels, help set up groups). The inherent issue for the admin, as far as I know is that you can create Office 365 groups via Stream - and when you do that you create Teams, SharePoint Sites, Exchange mailboxes. That would be pretty dangerous with so many users, so you would want to tie down Office 365 group creation in Office 365 if you haven't already done so, then if you want to create a Stream (Office 365 group) you get the admin to create one for you with the members of your group

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris