Video not playing embed problem - A setting in your browser is blocking cookies. Mobile only.

Copper Contributor

This problem occurs just yesterday that our users weren't able to play embedded videos on our internal website. It says that the browser is blocking cookies. This occurs on mobile safari and chrome (tested on iPhone) but works in chrome on Android. 

Please also take note that the problem is only when browsing on mobile, iPhone in particular. This wasn't the case before. Before, it was working. Desktop is fine on different browsers including IE9. 

We are using the iFrame embed code from the Stream Video Page and putting it on WordPress to display the video.

6a2.jpg

28 Replies

@Saili Raje Is the only solution to turn off Prevent Cross-Site Tracking option in iOS Safari settings?  With all of our schools moving to more content being digital because of Covid-19, in a rushed environment where IT do not control all devices, it is difficult to tell parents they should turn off what they deem a setting that increases their security to be able to view educational content for their kids.  Would love any help with this to give to our teachers across the state.

turning off Prevent Cross-Site Tracking does not fix the issue.  a real fix is needed ASAP

I suggested to my daughter to use Google Chrome, then it works immediately.

@Mark_JL 

I was alerted to this problem this morning by some of my users (we are just rolling out Stream campus wide). Here are the results of my troubleshooting:

Users can visit https://portal.office.com in their browser and sign in with their Microsoft 365 credentials and then return to and refresh the page with the embedded videos. They should display properly.

Other troubleshooting steps if problems persist:

iOS Safari 

Click the Settings app on your home screen and navigate to Settings>Safari>Privacy & Security
Disable “Prevent Cross-Site Tracking”

Return to and refresh the videos page, click to sign in to Stream with your Microsoft 365 credentials.

Select “Yes” when asked to stay signed in.

iOS Google Chrome

Click to open a video in a new window, sign in to Stream with your Microsoft 365 credentials. Select “Yes” when asked to stay signed in. Refresh the videos page.

iOS FireFox

Click to open a video in a new window, sign in to Stream with your Microsoft 365 credentials. Select “Yes” when asked to stay signed in. Return to and refresh the videos page.

macOS Safari

Click the Safari option in the menu bar, then Preferences>Privacy>Website tracking

Uncheck “Prevent Cross Site Tracking”

Return to and refresh the videos page, click to sign in to Stream with your Microsoft 365 credentials.

Select “Yes” when asked to stay signed in.

macOS FireFox

Click to open a video in a new window, sign in to Stream with your Microsoft 365 credentials. Select “Yes” when asked to stay signed in. Return to and refresh the videos page.

macOS Chrome

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a Windows machine or an Android device, but I imagine the steps will be similar, same.

I found the same issue on iPhone and iPad. Under Settings - Safari - Cross-Site Tracking, I switched this feature off and reloaded the page I had embedded the video on, this had fixed my issue. Not ideal, but a fix nonetheless.

Hi, 

I am embedding videos from stream to articulate creating e-learning. I am using a laptop and I am receiving the above error message about cookies. 

Please can you help suggest a solution for how to resolve this on desktop browsers? 

@Mark_JL 

I have this happening on my mac for my uni,  I've allowed cookies and cross-traffic thingy, it does work in a new tab at least. I'd just prefer that it work straight away on the page.

Maybe it's a problem at my uni's end? I'll message tech support there and see what response I get.

@April525 

Same problem with browser saying cookies are blocking videos in PowerPoint linked to Stream.  Have tried Chrome, Opera and Edge. Same problem. Turned off cross-site tracking still not functioning correctly. Any thoughts???

@Mark_JL Did anybody find any acceptable solutions to this issue? We're also experiencing this issue at a customer and can reproduce in our own tenant. I'm building a simple modern SPO website using the Stream element to embed a video from Stream via its link. On any iOS device, when the website is opened in the MS Edge web browser or through the MS Teams app in a channel, the error message about the cookies appears. Turning off cross-site tracking / allowing third-party cookies, doesn't solve the issue at all.

Here are some details to my testing:

• The default browser on the iOS devices is MS Edge
  • It works in Safari when cross-site tracking is disabled
  • It works in Chrome when third-party cookies are allowed
  • It never works in MS Edge regardless whether third-party cookies are allowed and pop-up blockers are turned off
  • It never works when the SPO website is opened through an MS Teams channel tab where I have it embedded. I'd assume that the default browser of iOS (MS Edge) is used here to render the page?

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!