Transcript doesn't generate

Copper Contributor

Over the past two weeks, Stream hasn't been generating the video transcript along the right side of the video. I'm able to download, edit, and reupload the captions, but in the transcript section, it says "The transcript is taking longer than expected. Refresh or check back later." I'm uploading the same file type I always have. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

11 Replies

@MelissaQ655 

Same here, we're having the same issue on generating transcript, at first we thought that the auto-generator is broken so we upload our own transcript but same issue and same message as you "The transcript is taking longer than expected. Refresh or check back later." I guess, there's something broken in MS Stream transcript generator.

@MelissaQ655 hello Melissa. Same problem here. I own a channel on Stream with 63 vídeos uploaded, but  in 12 vídeos the Stream isn't generating the vídeo transcript. The mesage is the same: "The transcript is taking longer than expected. Refresh or check back later." 

@MelissaQ655, I'm having the same issue. I custom-edit my captions after they are auto-generated and the transcript isn't showing up. In some cases, the videos have been up for over 48 hours and the captions show up but the transcript error message is up. I hope this is resolved soon!

We are having this issue with a lot of users across our organization.

Has Microsoft released anything on this?

@daneabernathy Not that I have seen, unfortunately.

We are having the same issue as well.

@MelissaQ655 

@Nadine425 We have been having the same problem for about 3 weeks

Yes indeed, I am having the same issue here. I've finally uploaded an edited captions file I can live with and there is no sign yet of a transcript. Go figure. Thank you one and all for raising this issue. This is actually one of my first times using a users forum like this and I'm very grateful to y'all.

Same here. Despite is year 2022 already. Microsoft Stream developers do fix this bug. Few weeks ago was working fine.

Despite mentioned that the expected waiting time is 2x recorded video, but placed after 24hrs, the transcript is not generated yet after refreshing page

Do fix this as this feature is extremely important for me to write notes of a recorded video

Thank you

You can work with your admin to file a support ticket and someone can investigate.

Also please look at uploading your video to SharePoint, Teams, or OneDrive instead. We support generating transcripts there now as well. That’s our go forward solution. Stream (Classic) will likely retire in the next year. We’ll set the retirement 1 year notice later this year or early next.

HTTPS://aka.ms/newstream

I have a disability that requires me to use transcript and CC. I followed your instructions, but I still wasn't able to generate the transcript. @Marc Mroz