SOLVED

Stream Live Event

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I would like to use the Live Event option in Stream but I don't know what is an encoder. Is it an external device that I have to connect to my laptop? Or is it some kind of software that I have to install?

Many thanks,

Marta

5 Replies
best response confirmed by MartaGuerrero (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Marta!

Please see article here that will cover all the basics you need for encoders with Stream - as well as a list of supported encoders

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/live-encoder-setup

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

Hi, @Christopher Hoard 

Ok, I will read through the article, I think most of my doubts will be solved, if not, I will come back to you

Many thanks!,

Marta

Now when we can create Live events in Teams and no encoder is necessary, why can't we use Teams as the encoder when creating the live event in Stream? Then we don't have to evaluate different encoders, do a purchase Project and package and distribute or turn off the ability to create live events from Stream. Making this possible will litterally save money.

Hi @Cloud-Pia, typically a group will use an encoder when they have a high production level event involving multiple cameras, microphones, etc.  If you don't need all this the best option is to use a Teams Quick Start live event described here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-live-events/what-are-teams-live-events 

Streaming a live event involves capturing and transmitting video and audio content in real time over the internet. This allows viewers to watch the event as it happens, regardless of their location. There are several ways to stream a live event, including using a dedicated streaming encoder, software encoding, and cloud-based streaming services.

Here are the general steps involved in streaming a live event:

Preparation:

Plan and organize the event: Determine the event's purpose, target audience, and technical requirements.

Gather equipment: Ensure you have the necessary equipment, such as cameras, microphones, mixers, and encoders.

Set up the streaming infrastructure: Configure your streaming encoder or software and connect to your streaming destination.

Streaming:

Start the event: Begin capturing video and audio from the event source.

Encode the video and audio: Convert the raw video and audio signals into a compressed format suitable for streaming.

Deliver the stream: Send the encoded video and audio data to the streaming destination, which may be a content delivery network (CDN) or a live streaming platform.

Monitor the stream: Ensure the stream is stable and of good quality, and make adjustments as needed.

Post-production:

Record the event: Save the live stream footage for future reference or additional editing.

Analyze the stream: Review the stream's performance and identify areas for improvement for future events.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MartaGuerrero (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Marta!

Please see article here that will cover all the basics you need for encoders with Stream - as well as a list of supported encoders

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/live-encoder-setup

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

View solution in original post