SOLVED

Sign in to see content

Copper Contributor

When adding a video from stream to any desktop app i.e Teams, OneNote, PowerPoint

We always get this error

cameron2000_0-1589309892751.png

The video is set so anyone in the organisation can view and works fine in Office365 but wondered if there is a way so it can work in the desktop clients. We're looking into using Teams as our VLE and are keen to resolve this to improve the student experience. 

We install the clients on every user domain joined machine in the college and when the user logins in they are automatically signed into the office clients and OneDrive so we can't understand why this wouldn't work too.

I seen from other conversations this has been going on for a number of years it would be great if there is a fix for this. 

3 Replies

@cameron2000  There are so many differences and things to consider, so let´s start with my first question:

1.  Adding videos to any desktop app means what? What is "adding"?

You must be an internal user, not external and no guest, because Stream does not support guests. So where are you "adding" your video how?

2. To Teams: When you are in the web client of Stream and you add a video to your watch list, can you see the video via the personal Microsoft Stream Teams app in the watch list?

3. Can you add a tab in a team with this video and can you see the video there?

4. OneNote: Video in OneNote in tab in Teams does not work! Same OneNote opened in the Windwos 10 OneNote App shows the video and you can play it. How do you access your OneNotes?

5. PowerPoint: What version of PowerPoint do you use? Supported versions are listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/stream/embed-video-powerpoint

A lot of questions from my side, because there is not "one" fix.

@Tomislav Karafilov Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Hope the below makes sense to your questions

1.Adding videos to any desktop app means what? What is "adding"?

Now looking into the versions of PowerPoint it makes sense why this didn’t work for Office2019 but Office365 version is new see answer below. There is still an issue with OneNote though when adding an Online Video looks like the issue surrounds OneNote rather than anything else now.

2. To Teams: When you are in the web client of Stream and you add a video to your watch list, can you see the video via the personal Microsoft Stream Teams app in the watch list?

Yes, and plays straight away!

3 .Can you add a tab in a team with this video and can you see the video there?

Yes – it works with both Video and Channel

4. OneNote: Video in OneNote in tab in Teams does not work! Same OneNote opened in the Windwos 10 OneNote App shows the video and you can play it. How do you access your OneNotes?

If we’re using ClassNotebook in teams as a tab and add a video we just get this message, same if we add an online video in OneNote 2016. Although the Windows 10 App doesn’t give this error and works fine, we had been advised to use OneNote2016 as it is more stable.

cameron2000_0-1589364099652.png

5. PowerPoint: What version of PowerPoint do you use?

Our standard install on college owned devices is PowerPoint 2019 version 1808

Then if users download the 365 version that is currently on version 2004, although this could be a separate issue.

best response confirmed by cameron2000 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@cameron2000  Thx for the answers!

- Teams works with the standard Stream possibilities.

- PowerPoint is to old on your side. Users have to click on a link for a Stream video that opens the video in browser.

- And for OneNotes the users have to click "sign in" once using OneNote 2016 or OneNote in the browser. It does not work inside a tab in Teams (on my side even the "sign in" click does not work inside a Teams tab with OneNote).

I think there are tasks to do for the Teams and the OneNote team. :unamused:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cameron2000 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@cameron2000  Thx for the answers!

- Teams works with the standard Stream possibilities.

- PowerPoint is to old on your side. Users have to click on a link for a Stream video that opens the video in browser.

- And for OneNotes the users have to click "sign in" once using OneNote 2016 or OneNote in the browser. It does not work inside a tab in Teams (on my side even the "sign in" click does not work inside a Teams tab with OneNote).

I think there are tasks to do for the Teams and the OneNote team. :unamused:

View solution in original post