SOLVED

SharePoint Administrator role during the migration

Brass Contributor

Once the containers are added to the Migration tab and the migration is started, will the expiry of the activated SharePoint Administrator of the account that starts the migration terminates the migration?

We have the policy where SharePoint Administrator role activated for user administrative accounts will only have activation window of 8 hours only.

Of course, the workaround is to migrate containers in smaller batches and manually activate the admin role once it has expired but I am looking at options where the migration will be in two batches, one for M365Group containers and another for User containers

4 Replies
my experience migrating content to SharePoint using Sharegate and SPMT tells me that the admin role should be active for the whole duration of the migration session
Correct, the migration will continue for submitted requests even if the admin access expires.

@varun_taneja I do notice these when the admin role is deactivated

• scanning of containers will result in "Unauthorized" message
  • refreshing the migration dashboard will result in "Connection problems" message
best response confirmed by unodei (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi @unodei, refreshing the page after admin role is deactivated should result in connection problem as expected as the tool will try to re-authenticate the admin while trying to set up connection again on page refresh.
Similarly, if you start scan/migrate job for a container after role deactivation, same issue will occur. The tool will continue to process only those jobs (after role deactivation) which were started when the admin was active.

If you are still facing an issue in this, kindly raise a support ticket and share network trace + screenshots of your experience.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by unodei (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi @unodei, refreshing the page after admin role is deactivated should result in connection problem as expected as the tool will try to re-authenticate the admin while trying to set up connection again on page refresh.
Similarly, if you start scan/migrate job for a container after role deactivation, same issue will occur. The tool will continue to process only those jobs (after role deactivation) which were started when the admin was active.

If you are still facing an issue in this, kindly raise a support ticket and share network trace + screenshots of your experience.

View solution in original post