Selectively Enable Users for STream

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone.  Looking for a way to selectively enable only a subset of users in our IT department to test Stream before rolling out to the entire organization.  

I know there is a way to disable login to Stream via properties of the application in AAD; however this disables login for everyone (actually the behaviour I found while testing in my non-prod tenant was that it doesn't remove the Stream tile, it simply logs you out if you click on it... which is questionable behaviour in my opinion, but I digress).

If anyone has a method to disable self-signup, and ultimately disable login for non-licensed users, whilst allowing the enabling of the feature for only selective accounts, please let me know.  I haven't been able to find this particular scenario on the web, but I have found quite a few individuals requesting it since last year.

Thanks!

Jay

2 Replies

If you remove the Stream license from a user they won't be able to login to Stream and the tile in the app launcher will go away for that user.

However as you mention below those users without a license can still Sign up for Stream to get a free trial license of Stream ad-hoc on their own. We don't have a setting in Stream to block the ad-hoc sign ups for Stream onlym but there is a way to do this if you are okay with blocking ALL ad-hoc sign ups including that of other services (Flow, PowerApps, PowerBI, etc). https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/ability-to-disable-free-sign-ups-for-the-free-power-bi/

Is Microsoft working on this? It's pretty difficult to explain to customers that they don't yet have an option to make this application available to selected users.