Search in Stream

Copper Contributor

What is Stream search based on?

Does Stream have it's own search? Or, does it leverage O365 Search?

6 Replies

I would say that Stream search leverage on the Microsoft Graph, but I don't know...I think @Marc Mroz can help here

Stream has it's own search it's not connected to O365 / SPO Enterprise search / MS Graph.

As such Stream videos do not show up in the rest of O365.

We are starting  up discussions again with the enterprise search team in MS to see how we can get Stream videos represented in the enterprise search index.  From what we've discussed this is not a trivial project to undertake.

@Mithhil Arora - Where you just curious about how Stream search worked or did you have a specific issue/question/use case you were trying to make work?

Thank you @Juan Carlos González Martín and @Marc Mroz.

My organization is in transition towards O365 and I am exploring the opportunities that O365 applications bring for our existing internally used products.

I saw that Stream was available as part of O365 as well as standalone, so that gave me bit of an idea that it may not be using Microsoft Graph or O365 search.

1. I am curious to know how popular channels, trending videos appear.
  2. How can custom metadata be added to videos uploaded to Stream for classification using enterprise taxonomy?
  3. What are the plans for enabling streaming, or recording and uploading of live videos via Skype for Business/Teams?

Thanks in advance.

I'm very interested on knowing what's the idea in regards of custom metadata for videos stored in Stream...a customer of mine is considering to use Stream, but they need to have this capability that currently is not present in the service

1. I am curious to know how popular channels, trending videos appear.
  2. How can custom metadata be added to videos uploaded to Stream for classification using enterprise taxonomy?
  3. What are the plans for enabling streaming, or recording and uploading of live videos via Skype for Business/Teams?

You are correct Stream does not use enterprise search or the office graph. We are looking into how we can get stream content to show up in those places in the future, but we don't have a solid technical plan yet. We are in discussions with the various teams.

Here are answers to your specific questions...

1. These are all computed based off data and algorithms in Stream (likes, views, comments, follows), etc. Trending videos are videos that have the most likes, views, comments in the last many days. Popular channels I believe right now is based off how # of follows to the channel.

2. We do not have any way to add custom metadata to Stream, only title/descrption, and if you are E5 or Stream P2 what was said in the video itself (speech to text - English/Spanish only). We have future ideas about adding further custom metadata to Stream, but we don't have any specific timeline. This idea is much further down our backlog of ideas at this point.

3. I'm not sure if you are asking about live broadcasting or uploading of a Skype/Teams meeting to Stream? At Ignite we and the Teams team announced that meeting recordings from Teams would automatically be uploaded to Stream and permissioned to the meeting attendees. We are still testing/dogfooding this feature. I don't know the specific timeline when Teams will release this to production. 

For live broadcast we are working with the Skype Meeting Broadcast/Teams team on how over the course of the next several quarters we'll have live broadcast available from both SMB/Teams and from Stream. Under the covers we'll be aligning tech stacks so all live streaming comes through Stream. As such you'll be able to see / get to live broadcast in Stream and in Teams from the UI.

Custom metadata would be very helpful:

1) it would encourage uploaders to provide more data

2) it would make searching more effective against the metadata fields