"There’s a problem with the network." (Error code 0x20200258)

Iron Contributor
UPDATE: I didn't see @Jason Denness post (and @Marc Mroz reply) about a similar issue earlier because it was a slightly different code, but same fundamental issue. I reposted this there, but leaving this here in case they are actually distinct issues. Sorry if that's confusing.

Anybody else getting this error?

There’s a problem with the network.
Please try again or contact support.
(Error code 0x20200258)

We just started getting the following error when trying to play Stream videos. It was working fine previous to today and we've changed nothing on our end. Same in multiple browsers. 1 out of 10 tries may start playing, but even then will eventually fail mid-play after 30-45 seconds. This is true for existing videos and new videos.

Most frustratingly, the link to 'contact support' is to a page that doesn't exist with no other info.

Anyone else getting this? I did some searching before posting here, but didn't see anything. Fortunately, we haven't rolled it out to our users yet, but we were planning to early next week. This has put that on hold.

4 Replies
Yes, we had an issue on Tuesday that was causing this. Apologies for that :(.
Um, not to sound flippant -- and I know this technology is far beyond my technical expertise and there are plenty of people working very hard on it -- but is that really the answer we're supposed to accept in such a situation?

I appreciate not sharing proprietary secrets and such, but such vague answers only breed distrust. It's a bit like having stomach pains, getting X-rays and blood tests done, and the doctor saying nothing more than 'Yep, you've got something that caused you stomach pain.'

I think Stream is an excellent new tool with significant potential and I'm very excited about opening it up to our community, but this kind of answer to that kind of overwhelmingly broken user experience actively discourages adoption, because there's no indication that Microsoft A) knows what the problem was or B) has created viable plans/fixes for avoiding it in the future.

To be fair, the problem may well be fully understood and the necessary fixes made and we'll never run into any of this again, but there is no indication of any of this. Again, I know there are a billion and one moving parts in this and it's still relatively new, but (totally separate from the issue of reliability) something more in the way of explanation in these situations could help develop trust.
Lecture does not play