SOLVED

Powershell Script to list ALL videos in your 365 Stream environment

Steel Contributor

I hope this is useful to everyone. 

My goal was to get a list of all videos in my stream so that I could contact each video creator about the changes that are coming to stream. Also so I could figure out how much work there was to do in moving, and how much video is created and not used.

My original solution (posted here 7 Oct 2020) I've retired, as thanks to @Twan van Beers code here https://neroblanco.co.uk/2022/02/get-list-of-videos-from-microsoft-stream/ I've been able to build a single ps1 script that does all I need. I'll leave the the original code at the bottom of this post.

Take a look a the comments I've put into the code for how to use this script.

I found that my original script gave me information about the videos but it was hard to use AND didn't tell me which videos were in which channels. This new version of @Twan van Beers script gives me both.

Save the new code Oct 2022 as a PowerShell script e.g. get-stream-video-info.ps1 Then open a powershell screen, navigate to the folder get-stream-video-info.ps1 is in. 

To run it enter    .\get-stream-video-info.ps1 "C:\Temp\streamanalysis\stream7Oct22-getnbstreamvideoinfo.csv"

Follow the on screen prompts.

>>> New Code Oct 2022 <<<

using namespace System.Management.Automation.Host

[CmdletBinding()]
param (
    [parameter(Position=0,Mandatory=$False)] 
    [string]$OutputCsvFileName,

[parameter(Position=1,Mandatory=$False)] 
    [switch]$OpenFileWhenComplete = $False
)

# ----------------------------------------
#	How to use
<#--
	Open a powershell window then type in the following and click enter
		.\get-stream-video-info.ps1 "C:\Temp\streamanalysis\stream7Oct22-getnbstreamvideoinfo.csv"

You'll then be prompted for 3 options
	[V] Videos  [C] ChannelVideos  [A] All  [?] Help (default is "V"): 
		V - videos, which will get a list of all the videos in your STREAM environment.
			NOTE you may need to alter the variables in the code if you have more than 1000s of videos
		C - ChannelVideos, will get a list of all the videos and the channels they are in.
			NOTE this returns a filtered view of all the videos associated with a channel
		A - All, returns both the Videos and the ChannelVideos.

You'll then be prompted for a user to login to the STREAM portal with, this is so the script can get a security token to do it's work with.
	Choose/use an account with full access to STREAM.

If you used a CSV file path after the script name, then this powershell script will export one or two CSV files based on the option chosen
		<your folder path, your filename>-videos<your file ending>
		and or
		<your folder path, your filename>-channelVideos<your file ending>

If you don't want to export file names, this powershell creates objects you can use in other ways
		V or A - will create an object $ExtractData, which is a list of every video and key properties for each video.
		C or A - wil create an object $videosPerChannel, which lists key information about each video AND the channel they are part of.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	original source
	my script 
	https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-classic/powershell-script-to-list-all-videos-in-your-365-stream/m-p/1752149

which inspired Twan van Beers to write
	https://neroblanco.co.uk/2022/02/get-list-of-videos-from-microsoft-stream/

I've then taken Twan's script and modified it to do what I require in my environment.
	Namely - get the video information AND the channels they are part of. For my 1000 or so videos and 35 channels, it takes about 1 min to run using the All option.

This meant I was able to setup an intranet video library with a channel metadata column, folders per channel 
	(so i could give edit rights to channel owners, without opening up the entire library or having to use multiple libraries), and eventually
	download the videos, then upload them into the library using ShareGate to reinstate some of the key metadata, i.e. created date, person who created them etc

--#>

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function Show-OAuthWindowStream {
    param (
        [string]$Url,
        [string]$WindowTitle
    )

$Source = `
@"
    [DllImport("wininet.dll", SetLastError = true)]
    public static extern bool InternetSetOption(IntPtr hInternet, int dwOption, IntPtr lpBuffer, int lpdwBufferLength);
"@

$WebBrowser = Add-Type -memberDefinition $Source -passthru -name $('WebBrowser'+[guid]::newGuid().ToString('n'))
    $INTERNET_OPTION_END_BROWSER_SESSION = 42
    # Clear the current session
    $WebBrowser::InternetSetOption([IntPtr]::Zero, $INTERNET_OPTION_END_BROWSER_SESSION, [IntPtr]::Zero, 0) | out-null

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
    $Form = New-Object -TypeName System.Windows.Forms.Form -Property @{Width = 600; Height = 800 }

$Script:web = New-Object -TypeName System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser -Property @{Width = 580; Height = 780; Url = ($URL -f ($Scope -join "%20")) }
    $Web.ScriptErrorsSuppressed = $True
    $Form.Controls.Add($Web)
    $Featured = {
        $Head = $Web.Document.GetElementsByTagName("head")[0];
        $ScriptEl = $Web.Document.CreateElement("script");
        $Element = $ScriptEl.DomElement;

# Javascript function to get the sessionInfo including the Token
        $Element.text = `
@'
        function CaptureToken() { 
            if( typeof sessionInfo === undefined ) {
                return '';
            } else {
                outputString = '{';
                outputString += '"AccessToken":"' + sessionInfo.AccessToken + '",';
                outputString += '"TenantId":"' + sessionInfo.UserClaim.TenantId + '",';
                outputString += '"ApiGatewayUri":"' + sessionInfo.ApiGatewayUri + '",';
                outputString += '"ApiGatewayVersion":"' + sessionInfo.ApiGatewayVersion + '"';
                outputString += '}';

return outputString;
            }
        }
'@;

$Head.AppendChild($ScriptEl);
        $TenantInfoString = $Web.Document.InvokeScript("CaptureToken");

if( [string]::IsNullOrEmpty( $TenantInfoString ) -eq $False ) {
            $TenantInfo = ConvertFrom-Json $TenantInfoString
            if ($TenantInfo.AccessToken.length -ne 0 ) {
                $Script:tenantInfo = $TenantInfo;
                $Form.Controls[0].Dispose()
                $Form.Close()
                $Form.Dispose()
            }
        }

}
    $Web.add_DocumentCompleted($Featured)
    $Form.AutoScaleMode = 'Dpi'
    $Form.ShowIcon = $False
    $Form.Text = $WindowTitle
    $Form.AutoSizeMode = 'GrowAndShrink'
    $Form.StartPosition = 'CenterScreen'
    $Form.Add_Shown( { $Form.Activate() })
    $Form.ShowDialog() | Out-Null

write-output $Script:tenantInfo
}

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function Get-RequestedAssets([PSCustomObject]$Token, [string]$Url, [string]$Label) {
    $Index = 0
    $MainUrl = $Url
    $AllItems = @()
    do {
        $RestUrl = $MainUrl.Replace("`$skip=0", "`$skip=$Index") 

Write-Host "  Fetching ... $($Index) to $($Index+100)"
        $Items = @((Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $RestUrl -Headers $Token.headers -Method Get).value)

$AllItems += $Items
        $Index += 100

} until ($Items.Count -lt 100)

Write-Host "  Fetched $($AllItems.count) items"

$Assets = $AllItems | Select-Object `
                            @{Name='Type';Expression={$Label}},`
                            Id, Name,`
                            @{Name='Size(MB)';Expression={$_.AssetSize/1MB}}, `
                            PrivacyMode, State, VideoMigrationStatus, Published, PublishedDate, ContentType, Created, Modified, `
                            @{name='Media.Duration';Expression={$_.Media.Duration}},`
                            @{name='Media.Height';Expression={$_.Media.Height}},`
                            @{name='Media.Width';Expression={$_.Media.Width}},`
                            @{name='Media.isAudioOnly';Expression={$_.media.isAudioOnly}},`
                            @{name='Metrics.Comments';Expression={$_.Metrics.Comments}},`
                            @{name='Metrics.Likes';Expression={$_.Metrics.Likes}},`
                            @{name='Metrics.Views';Expression={$_.Metrics.Views}}, `
                            @{name='ViewVideoUrl';Expression={("https://web.microsoftstream.com/video/" + $_.Id)}}, `
                            @{name='VideoCreatorName';Expression={$_.creator.name}}, `
                            @{name='VideoCreatorEmail';Expression={$_.creator.mail}}, `
                            @{name='VideoDescription';Expression={$_.description}}

write-output $Assets

}

function Get-VideoChannels([PSCustomObject]$Token, [string]$Url, [string]$Label) {
		#this will get the list of channels
    $Index = 0
    $MainUrl = $Url
    $AllItems = @()
    do {
        $RestUrl = $MainUrl.Replace("`$skip=0", "`$skip=$Index") 

Write-Host "  Fetching ... $($Index) to $($Index+100)"
        $Items = @((Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $RestUrl -Headers $Token.headers -Method Get).value)

$AllItems += $Items
        $Index += 100

Write-Host "  Fetched $($AllItems.count) items"
	#to add properties to this section look at https://aase-1.api.microsoftstream.com/api/channels?$skip=0&$top=100&adminmode=true&api-version=1.4-private

$Channels = $AllItems | Select-Object `
                            @{Name='Type';Expression={$Label}},`
                            Id, Name, Description,`
                            @{Name='MetricsVideos';Expression={$_.metrics.videos}}
	#write-host $channels.count							

write-output $Channels
}

function Get-channelVideos([PSCustomObject]$Token, [PSCustomObject]$allChannels, [string]$Label) {
		#this will get the list of channels

$MainUrl = "https://aase-1.api.microsoftstream.com/api/channels/ChannelIDToSwap/videos?`$top=50&`$skip=0&`$filter=published%20and%20(state%20eq%20%27completed%27%20or%20contentSource%20eq%20%27livestream%27)&`$expand=creator,events&adminmode=true&`$orderby=name%20asc&api-version=1.4-private"

#for each channel URL go through all the videos, capture the channel name against the video id and name
	$allVideosPerChannel = @()

foreach($chan in $allChannels) {
		$thisChannelid = $chan.id 
		$chanUrl = @( $MainUrl.Replace("ChannelIDToSwap", $thisChannelid) )
		$chanName = $chan.name
		$AllItems = ""
		$items = ""
		$thischanvideos = ""
		$Index = 0

#write-host $chanUrl

#loop the index
		do {

$RestUrl = $chanUrl.Replace("`$skip=0", "`$skip=$Index") 

#write-host $restUrl

#Write-Host "$chanName | Fetching ... $($Index) to $($Index+50)"

$allItems = $items | select id,name, @{Name='Channel';Expression={$chanName}},@{Name='Type';Expression={$Label}}
			#write-host $allItems.count
			#foreach($x in $items ) {
			#	write-host $x.name
				#write-host $x.id
				#write-host $label
				#write-host $chanName
			#}

$Index += 50

#got videos into $items, now mist with $chan info and put into $allVideosPerChannel object 
		$allVideosPerChannel += $AllItems

$AllItems = ""
		$items = ""
	}

Write-Host "  Fetched $($allVideosPerChannel.count) videos in $($allChannels.count) channels"
	#to add properties to this section look at https://aase-1.api.microsoftstream.com/api/channels?$skip=0&$top=100&adminmode=true&api-version=1.4-private

write-output $allVideosPerChannel
}

function Get-StreamToken() {

$TenantInfo = Show-OAuthWindowStream -url "https://web.microsoftstream.com/?noSignUpCheck=1" -WindowTitle  "Please login to Microsoft Stream ..."
    $Token = $TenantInfo.AccessToken
    $Headers = @{
        "Authorization"   = ("Bearer " + $Token)
        "accept-encoding" = "gzip, deflate, br"
    }
    $UrlTenant = $TenantInfo.ApiGatewayUri
    $ApiVersion = $TenantInfo.ApiGatewayVersion

$UrlBase = "$UrlTenant{0}?`$skip=0&`$top=100&adminmode=true&api-version=$ApiVersion" 

$RequestToken = [PSCustomObject]::new()
    $RequestToken | Add-Member  -Name "token" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value  $Token
    $RequestToken | Add-Member  -Name "headers" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value  $Headers
    $RequestToken | Add-Member  -Name "tenantInfo" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value $TenantInfo

$Urls = [PSCustomObject]::new()
    $RequestToken | Add-Member  -Name "urls" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value  $Urls

$RequestToken.urls | Add-Member  -Name "Videos" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value  ($UrlBase -f "videos")
    $RequestToken.urls | Add-Member  -Name "Channels" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value   ($UrlBase -f "channels")
    $RequestToken.urls | Add-Member  -Name "Groups" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value  ($UrlBase -f "groups")

$UrlBase = $UrlBase.replace("`$skip=0&", "")
    $RequestToken.urls | Add-Member  -Name "Principals" -MemberType NoteProperty -Value   ($UrlBase -f "principals")

write-output $RequestToken
}

function New-Menu {
    [CmdletBinding()]
    param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory)]
        [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
        [string]$Title,

[Parameter(Mandatory)]
        [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
        [string]$Question
    )

$videos = [ChoiceDescription]::new('&Videos', 'Videos')
    $channelvideos = [ChoiceDescription]::new('&ChannelVideos', 'All Videos by Channel')
	$all = [ChoiceDescription]::new('&All', 'All videos AND all videos by channel')

$options = [ChoiceDescription[]]($videos, $channelvideos, $all)

$result = $host.ui.PromptForChoice($Title, $Question, $options, 0)

switch ($result) {
        0 { 'Videos' }
        1 { 'ChannelVideos' }
        2 { 'All' }
    }

}

$menuoutome = New-Menu -title 'Stream videos' -question 'What do you want to output?'

#write-host $menuoutome

$StreamToken = Get-StreamToken

$urlQueryToUse = $StreamToken.Urls.Videos

#default $StreamToken.Urls.Videos is something like https://aase-1.api.microsoftstream.com/api/videos?$skip=900&$top=100&adminmode=true&api-version=1.4-private

#To get creator and event details you need to add    $expand=creator,events      to the URL , not to do that you need to use &`$expand=creator,events  with out the ` powershell thinks $expand is a variable.
	#  e.g. use  
	$urlQueryToUse = $StreamToken.Urls.Videos+"&`$expand=creator,events"

#Other option
#	use the following if you want to only see files that have privacymode eq 'organization' i.e. video is visible to EVERYONE in the organisation
#	Thanks to Ryechz for this 
#
#   $urlQueryToUse = $StreamToken.Urls.Videos + "&orderby=publishedDate%20desc&`$expand=creator,events&`$filter=published%20and%20(state%20eq%20%27Completed%27%20or%20contentSource%20eq%20%27livestream%27)%20and%20privacymode%20eq%20%27organization%27%20"

if($menuoutome -eq 'Videos' -Or $menuoutome -eq 'All'){
	#modify the -URL submitted to get more data or filter data or order the output 
	$ExtractData = Get-RequestedAssets -token $StreamToken -Url $urlQueryToUse -Label "Videos"
	write-host ""
	write-host "The `$ExtractData object contains all the details about each video. Use `$ExtractData[0] to see the first item in the object, and it's properties."

if( $OutputCsvFileName ) {
		$thisOutputCsvFileName = $OutputCsvFileName.replace(".csv", '-'+$menuoutome+'-videos.csv')
		$ExtractData | Export-CSV $thisOutputCsvFileName -NoTypeInformation -Encoding UTF8
		write-host "The following file has been created: $thisOutputCsvFileName"
		if( $OpenFileWhenComplete ) {
			Invoke-Item $thisOutputCsvFileName
		}
	}

}

if($menuoutome -eq 'ChannelVideos' -Or $menuoutome -eq 'All'){
	#Get the list of channels , filter the result for the channel id and name
	$channelList = Get-VideoChannels -token $StreamToken -Url $StreamToken.Urls.Channels -Label "Channels"

#for each channel get the videos that are in that channel, so that we can match them up to the ExtractData , which is the list of all videos)
	$videosPerChannel = get-channelvideos -token $StreamToken -allChannels $channelList -Label "ChannelVideos"
	write-host ""
	write-host "The `$videosPerChannel object contains key information about each video and the channel it is in. Use `$videosPerChannel[0] to see the first video, and it's properties."
	write-host "The `$channelList object contains a list of channel's and their properties."

if( $OutputCsvFileName ) {
		$thisOutputCsvFileName = $OutputCsvFileName.replace(".csv", '-'+$menuoutome+'-channelVideos.csv')
		$videosPerChannel | Export-CSV $thisOutputCsvFileName -NoTypeInformation -Encoding UTF8
		write-host "The following file has been created: $thisOutputCsvFileName"
		if( $OpenFileWhenComplete ) {
			Invoke-Item $thisOutputCsvFileName
		}
	}

}

>>> Original Code Oct 2020 <<<

I've left this here in case it is useful to anyone. See the script above for a better solution.

That said this solution relies on you knowing a bit about PowerShell, being a Stream Admin and being happy to manually save some files (I couldn't figure out how to do pass through windows authentication for the script) so you have to manually save each paged JSON file of 100 videos.

It took me about 20minutes to export information about 591 videos (about 3 hours to make the script).

To use the script

• update each variable marked with #<<<< Update this value
  • in a normal (not admin) powershell window run the script (i copy and paste logical parts into the powershell window)
  • you will be given several urls, to visit and save the JSON files from
  • once you have the JSON files the final part of the script reads those, and exports a CSV file with a row per video in STREAM

NOTE : as an admin you see all videos, so before you share the CSV with others be aware that there may be sensitive information in it that most users can't see due to STREAM's in built security.

I don't have much time, hence I made this script so please don't expect quick answers to any questions. This script is rough, use it if it helps, but ... be professional and check it before you use it.

##>> Update 5 Aug 2021 <<##

Thanks to everyone who has commented, I've updated the code below with your suggestions

You still have to manually save the JSON browser tabs that show up as JSON files into a folder, but other than that I hope it is now easier for you to use :)

#reference   https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-forum/powershell-script-to-audit-and-export-channel-content-details-of/m-p/354832
# goal of this script 
#- get list of all videos in stream for analysis
#- it takes about 20 minutes to do this for 500 stream videos.

#First 
# find out what your api source is
# go to the following URL in chrome as an admin of Stream https://web.microsoftstream.com/browse
# using Developer tools look at the "console" search for .api.microsoftstream to find out what is between https://  and     .api.microsoftstream in my case    https://aase-1.api.microsoftstream.com/api/

[string]$rootAPIlocation = "aase-1"  #<<<< Update this value to the one you find in the console view 
#[string]$rootAPIlocation = "uswe-1" 	# use this for Western US
#[string]$rootAPIlocation = "euno-1" 	# use this for the Europe North region

#enter where you on your computer you want the files to go
[string]$PowerShellScriptFolder = "C:\Temp\streamanalysis"  #<<<< Update this value
#json files will be saved into "VideosJSON" folder 
[string]$streamJSONfolder = Join-Path -Path $PowerShellScriptFolder -ChildPath "VideosJSON"  #<<<< Update this value if you want a different folder name

#>>> REMOVES all exiisting JSON files <<<<
#remove all JSON items in this folder
Remove-Item -path $streamJSONfolder\* -include *.json -Force -Recurse
#guess approx number of videos you think you have divide by 100 e.g. 9 = 900 videos
[int]$Loopnumber = 9   #<<<< Update this value

#put in your stream portal url
[string]$StreamPortal = "https://web.microsoftstream.com/?NoSignUpCheck=1"
#put in the url where you see all videos from in stream
[string]$StreamPortalVideoRoot = "https://web.microsoftstream.com/browse/" #$StreamPortalChannelRootForFindingVideos
[string]$StreamPortalVideoViewRoot= "https://web.microsoftstream.com/video/" # for watching a video

#this builds from the info you've put in a URL which will give back the JSON info about all your videos.
[string]$StreamAPIVideos100 = "https://$rootAPIlocation.api.microsoftstream.com/api/videos?NoSignUpCheck=1&`$top=100&`$orderby=publishedDate%20desc&`$expand=creator,events&`$filter=published%20and%20(state%20eq%20%27Completed%27%20or%20contentSource%20eq%20%27livestream%27)&adminmode=true&api-version=1.4-private&`$skip=0" #$StreamAPIVideos100

# use the following if you want to only see files that have privacymode eq 'organization' i.e. video is visible to EVERYONE in the organisation
#Thanks to Ryechz for this 
#
#   [string]$StreamAPIVideos100 = "https://$rootAPIlocation.api.microsoftstream.com/api/videos?NoSignUpCheck=1&`$top=100&`$orderby=publishedDate%20desc&`$expand=creator,events&`$filter=published%20and%20(state%20eq%20%27Completed%27%20or%20contentSource%20eq%20%27livestream%27)%20and%20privacymode%20eq%20%27organization%27%20&adminmode=true&api-version=1.4-private&`$skip=0"

[int]$skipCounter
[int]$skipCounterNext = $skipCounter+100
[string]$fileName = "jsonfor-$skipCounter-to-$skipCounterNext.json"

#next section creates the URLS you need to manually download the json from , it was too hard to figure out how to do this programatically with authentication.

Write-Host "      Starting Chrome Enter your credentials to load O365 Stream portal" -ForegroundColor Magenta
#Thanks Conrad Murray for this tip 
Start-Process -FilePath 'chrome.exe' -ArgumentList $StreamPortal
Read-Host -Prompt "Press Enter to continue ...."

Write-host " -----------------------------------------" -ForegroundColor Green
Write-host " --Copy and past each url into chrome-----" -ForegroundColor Green
Write-host " --save JSON output into $streamJSONfolder" -ForegroundColor Green

for($i=0;$i -lt $Loopnumber; $i++) {
	$skipCounter = $i*100
	if($skipCounter -eq 0) {
		write-host $StreamAPIVideos100
		Start-Process -FilePath 'chrome.exe' -ArgumentList $StreamAPIVideos100
	} else {
		write-host $StreamAPIVideos100.replace("skip=0","skip=$skipCounter")
		#following code opens browser tabs for each of the jsonfiles 
		#Thanks Conrad Murray for this tip 
		Start-Process -FilePath 'chrome.exe' -ArgumentList $StreamAPIVideos100.replace("skip=0","skip=$skipCounter")

}

}

Write-host " --save each browser window showing JSON output into $streamJSONfolder" -ForegroundColor Green
Write-host " -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------" -ForegroundColor Green

Read-Host -Prompt "Press Enter to continue ...."

$JSONFiles = Get-ChildItem -Path $streamJSONfolder -Recurse -Include *.json
[int]$videoscounter = 0
$VideosjsonAggregateddata=@()
$data=@()

foreach($fileItem in $JSONFiles)
{
	Write-Host "     =====>>>> getting content of JSON File:", $fileItem, "- Path:", $fileItem.FullName -ForegroundColor Yellow
	$Videosjsondata = Get-Content -Raw -Path $fileItem.FullName | ConvertFrom-Json
	$VideosjsonAggregateddata += $Videosjsondata
	#Write-Host "     =====>>>> Channel JSON Raw data:", $Videosjsondata -ForegroundColor green
	#Read-Host -Prompt "Press Enter to continue ...."
}

write-host "You have "  $VideosjsonAggregateddata.value.count " videos in Stream , using these selection criteria"

foreach($myVideo in $VideosjsonAggregateddata.value)
{

$videoscounter += 1
		$datum = New-Object -TypeName PSObject
		Write-host "        -----------------------------------------" -ForegroundColor Green
		Write-Host "        =====>>>> Video (N°", $videoscounter ,") ID:", $myVideo.id -ForegroundColor green
		Write-Host "        =====>>>> Video Name:", $myVideo.name," created:", $myVideo.created,"- modified:", $myVideo.modified -ForegroundColor green
		Write-Host "        =====>>>> Video Metrics views:", $myVideo.metrics.views, "- comments:", $myVideo.metrics.comments -ForegroundColor Magenta
		Write-Host "        =====>>>> Video Creator Name: ", $myVideo.creator.name , " - Email:", $myVideo.creator.mail -ForegroundColor Magenta		
		Write-Host "        =====>>>> Video Description: ", $myVideo.description -ForegroundColor Magenta	

$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoID -Value $myVideo.id
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoName -Value $myVideo.name
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoURL -Value $($StreamPortalVideoViewRoot + $myVideo.id)
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoCreatorName -Value $myVideo.creator.name
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoCreatorEmail -Value $myVideo.creator.mail
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoCreationDate -Value $myVideo.created
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoModificationDate -Value $myVideo.modified
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoLikes -Value $myVideo.metrics.likes
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoViews -Value $myVideo.metrics.views
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoComments -Value $myVideo.metrics.comments
		#the userData value is for the user running the JSON query i.e. did that user view this video. It isn't for information about all users who may have seen this video. There seems to be no information about that other than, total views = metrics.views 
		#$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoComments -Value $myVideo.userData.isViewed
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Videodescription -Value $myVideo.description

#thanks Johnathan Ogden for these values 
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoDuration -Value $myVideo.media.duration
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoHeight -Value $myVideo.media.height
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoWidth -Value $myVideo.media.width
		$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoIsAudioOnly -Value $myVideo.media.isAudioOnly

$datum | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name VideoContentType -Value $myVideo.contentType

$data += $datum

}

$datestring = (get-date).ToString("yyyyMMdd-hhmm")
$csvfileName = ($PowerShellScriptFolder + "\O365StreamVideoDetails_" + $datestring + ".csv")    #<<<< Update this value if you want a different file name 

Write-Host (" >>> writing to file {0}" -f $csvfileName) -ForegroundColor Green
$data | Export-csv $csvfileName -NoTypeInformation
Write-host " ------------------ DONE -----------------------" -ForegroundColor Green

Disclaimer : You can use that solution as you want and modify it depending of your case.

Many thanks to 

@Fabrice Romelard  and  his 
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-forum/powershell-script-to-audit-and-export-... which gave me enough to figure out how to do this.

73 Replies

Thanks @Conrad Murray 

for the updates and comments, I'm sure they'll help everyone out.

When I have to come back to this code for work - next few weeks I'll incorporate what you've provided and update the code.

Dorje

Don't suppose you could record a video of setting it up and running it? I tried to get it working but failed somewhere and wasn't sure from the instructions what to expect so I parked it for a later date.

edit: got it working thanks

Thank you very much Dorje for sharing this script with the community!! What a wonderful tool.

Has anyone had success with pulling the lastViewDate? All of my videos show "null" in the raw JSON data. This value would be very valuable for helping to determine when a video was last viewed.

Scott

Hi @scottcampany 

Stream doesn't seem to hold this data. The json that comes back contains some information userData.lastViewDate  BUT this is for the currently viewing user . In the case of this code it would be the last time this user viewed this video.

As far as I know this information isn't held anywhere other than perhaps in your network log files on a router somewhere.

But once the videos have moved to SharePoint / OneDrive then the GraphAPI does have information about Viewers and Views for each file.

Just in case you're following this thread : I've updated it to include code suggestions from the folks who've commented on it. Many thanks.

Hi @abrarali , try running the new code.

It will auto open the JSON browser tabs, which you need to then manually save (ctrl + s) as JSON files into the folder you define in the script.

Once those files exist, then your CSV file will contain something.

Hi @WhatTheFork 

My guess is that you didn't manually save the JSON files into the folder defined in the script.

This new code will make it a bit easier (JSON files auto open in their own browser tabs), BUT you still have to save each one as a JSON file into the folder you define in the script. Then your CSV won't be blank.

Hi @rrivero11 , take a look at the udpated code. I've put in the variables for USNO-1 so it may help you out.

I made a slight change to check for the "C:\Temp\streamanalysis" folder and if it does not exist then create it. This may be helpful for those who need to run the script more than once.

#enter where you on your computer you want the files to go
[string]$PowerShellScriptFolder = "C:\Temp\streamanalysis" #<<<< Update this value
if (-not(Test-Path C:\Temp\streamanalysis)) {
New-Item -Path $PowerShellScriptFolder -Force -ItemType Directory
}
#json files will be saved into "VideosJSON" folder
[string]$streamJSONfolder = Join-Path -Path $PowerShellScriptFolder -ChildPath "VideosJSON"

Cheers,
Scott
Has anyone found an easier way to download the JSON files? We have over 30,000 videos so trying to find anyway to not have to download 300 tabs manually.

Hi @swhitestrath , I did try with the most recent version of my code, but I found keeping the security context of the browser window inside the code was the issue.

I'm sure someone who is better at that could send an HTTP request asking for the JSON files, then save them out as individual files, or combine them into one file. The issue I had was getting the code to run and ask for the files as the user account that has admin rights to the STREAM back end.

All I've been able to find on API access is the following

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-forum/link-to-microsoft-stream-api-documenta...

Which leads here (lots of the other links don't work)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/new-stream 

which mentions the Graph API

But this is all talking about New Stream (after the files are moved to SharePoint) AND my situation (and yours too I think @swhitestrath is old Stream).
Sorry I don't have a better option for you.

Thanks for the reply I think I was just trying my luck. I remember looking for the API awhile ago but I think it was very limited. There is probably a better way but don't really want to commit too much time to it, especially with the new stream coming along. I did try a few things myself using some chrome extensions but ran into authentication errors. Will just need to go with the manual option.
Thanks Dorje for this amazing script. This is going to help tremendously as we are migrating tenants.

Has anyone found a way to mass download the videos? We have folks that have left the company with lots of videos but doing them 1 by one would be painful.
super script... shame the save tab to csv can't be automated as I seem to have well over 2000 videos... saving 20+ tabs is a manual pain...

@Rolzzzz agreed it is a pain. If you've got some coding friends see if they've got a solution. It is well above what I was able to figure out :)

@Dorje McKinnon I'm going to see if "Invoke-WebRequest" is something we can use to automate it

https://linuxhint.com/run-wget-powershell

wasted a good few hours, but just cant get cli auth working... raging hard that this is a roadblock grumble...
@Rolzzz Not sure where you're getting authorisation issues, but check row 50 of the code. The script has to run under one security context and the browser window also needs to have credentials entered into it.
was trying to get PS to auth into Stream without a browser so I could Invoke-WebRequest the generated weblinks to auto download the json files to the specified download folder...
I ended writing an "autohotkey" type of script to control the keyboard and mouse to automate the downloading of all the files