SOLVED

Is Microsoft Stream need a license to "read only" videos?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My business have some Office 365 Business Essential and some Business Premium.

We have too, an E5, for use and upload videos on Stream.

I cant see anywhere, if license is needed for all users who only want to VIEW, SHARE and COMMENT videos.

And i'm not be able to test it cause, my users have automatically a free trial activated for Stream.

So, what will be append at the end of 90 days of trial? Will they be able to see videos without purchase Plan option?

Best regards.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Erick LEFEBVRE wrote:

I cant see anywhere, if license is needed for all users who only want to VIEW, SHARE and COMMENT videos.

A licence is required to view videos and other activities, whether that's included in the appropriate Office 365 plan or is bought as an add-on. See the Licensing overview for further details.

Microsoft Stream licensing overview.png

So, what will be append at the end of 90 days of trial? Will they be able to see videos without purchase Plan option?

See here for details on the Trial plan and what happens afterwards, including the following:

"The Microsoft Stream 90-day trial includes all the capabilities included in Stream Plan 2. Users will be able to upload videos during the first 3 months of the trial, after that, the upload feature will be restricted but viewing and other features will remain active for a limited time.

At the end of the 90-day trial, the customer will be presented with an option to either upgrade to a paid subscription to continue using Microsoft Steam or request your uploaded videos be deleted."

@Cian Allner 
....but viewing and other features will remain active for a limited time....
This is still so unclear. What is "a limited time"? The earth will exist for a limited time.
I think the info if, for example Teams users without a dedicated MS Stream plan will be able to view the videos und meeting recordings in the future or not.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Erick LEFEBVRE wrote:

A licence is required to view videos and other activities, whether that's included in the appropriate Office 365 plan or is bought as an add-on. See the Licensing overview for further details.

Microsoft Stream licensing overview.png

See here for details on the Trial plan and what happens afterwards, including the following:

"The Microsoft Stream 90-day trial includes all the capabilities included in Stream Plan 2. Users will be able to upload videos during the first 3 months of the trial, after that, the upload feature will be restricted but viewing and other features will remain active for a limited time.

At the end of the 90-day trial, the customer will be presented with an option to either upgrade to a paid subscription to continue using Microsoft Steam or request your uploaded videos be deleted."

View solution in original post