SOLVED

How are calculated unique viewers on MS Video stream?

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, how are unique video viewers counted via MS Videostream? How long does it take to watch a video in order for a unique view to count?

I’ve noticed that the number of unique views has dropped dramatically over the last month. Video links from MSVideostream are uploaded to the MS Yammer platform and we count how many saw the post and actually watched the video. 

Thank you for your reply.

8 Replies
I am very curious about this as well and I cannot find anything in the docs about Stream.
I did find this
The number of views recorded for each video is updated every 15-20 minutes. A new view is counted as soon as a video starts to play. This can happen either because of auto-loading or (as in the case of an embedded video) when a user clicks the play button.
So that answers one of the questions :)
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Steve Hernou - Stream (classic) doesn't have a unique viewer count. However, it does only count a view for a person per day. So if the same person watched the same video 10 times in a day it would only count as 1 view.

BUT.... for Stream (on SharePoint)...

For videos uploaded to SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, or Yammer there is a way to see the unique viewers and total views and much more. 

Find the video in the library > ... > Details > Click the # of views at the top of the details pane > You'll get the file statistics that shows...

• # of unique viewers
  • # of total views
  • Trend of viewers and views day by day for the last 90 days
  • Viewership retention (which part of the video was viewed or not viewed)

MarcMroz_1-1645545674378.png

@Marc Mroz 

Hi my friend im confused about the new chart og strean sharepoint

as i understand in the example of your pic

4 viewers 38 views

this is 4 persons that see the vidieo 38 times? ( so they repeat more than one?)

Also the bars are not display the same number of the title on the graphics

for example in my case display 12 viewers and 42 views

but if i count the number of this bar in each week is more than the title graphics display

@avaldivia - Yes "Viewers" is supposed to be unique people that viewed the video, and "Views" is not unique it's just count of total times a video has been viewed. So yes, a single "viewer" could "view" the video multiple times. 

Can you explain this part a bit more? I don't quite understand are you saying that if you count the viewers in the chart that it's more than the total "Viewers" at the top?

Also the bars are not display the same number of the title on the graphics

for example in my case display 12 viewers and 42 views

but if i count the number of this bar in each week is more than the title graphics display

stream.png

sorry me friend my english is not very fluenly

on the picture thay i upload can you see in blue 7 viewers. so what i understand is the maximun viewers on that video are seven

but is you see the grapchics bellow that number and count from 15/9 to 27/9 there are 9 viewers according with the bars

@Marc Mroz 

@avaldivia - Thanks for the extra details. That does seem strange to me. I would have expected the same as you. The 7 unique viewers at the top means that only 7 people have ever viewed the file but it doesn't make sense that there are 9 when you count on the graph. 

I have a chat started with the engineering team that built this to see if they can explain how it works or determine if there are bugs we need to investigate and fix. I'll let you know when they get back to me. 

thanks so much my friend. the same happend with views there are more on the grapchics that i read on the title. and this happend with all my videos.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Steve Hernou - Stream (classic) doesn't have a unique viewer count. However, it does only count a view for a person per day. So if the same person watched the same video 10 times in a day it would only count as 1 view.

BUT.... for Stream (on SharePoint)...

For videos uploaded to SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, or Yammer there is a way to see the unique viewers and total views and much more. 

Find the video in the library > ... > Details > Click the # of views at the top of the details pane > You'll get the file statistics that shows...

• # of unique viewers
  • # of total views
  • Trend of viewers and views day by day for the last 90 days
  • Viewership retention (which part of the video was viewed or not viewed)

MarcMroz_1-1645545674378.png

View solution in original post