Embedded Stream videos turn dark

Copper Contributor

Hi folks,

I'm a teacher and, of course, due to the pandemic, we are all shifting to online learning. 

I really enjoy posting videos on Stream because of how fast the captioning is (compared to YouTube); we are a Microsoft school so this works beautifully.

I embed my Stream videos onto our learning management system (Blackboard) and I noticed last night that something has changed. All my embedded Stream videos have turned drastically dark -- to a point that it's difficult to see.

Pls take a look at the two attachments. The first is an example of an embedded Stream video that turns up really dark; when I open that same video on the actual Stream site, the lighting is totally different. 

Is there any way to get rid of that dark shadow via the embed code? Maybe there is a new setting that Microsoft put into place for the embedded video thumbnails? I'm not sure, but I really hope this can be fixed. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 2.46.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-04 at 2.47.50 PM.png

4 Replies

This is driving me mad also @AnneSong started last year, I think, a big backwards step in my view.

Hi @AnneSong and @StuartMira. Did either of you find a fix for this? We're embedding Stream in SharePoint, and the dark overlay is not great. Would love to hear if you've found a workaround.
I think this only happens in Stream (Classic) when the overlays are shown. Since there are extra text and buttons coming up over top of the video we need to have the correct contrast ratio so you can see the white text and buttons. If you had a white video those buttons and text wouldn’t be visible.

But you should try uploading your video directly to SharePoint and use the file viewer web part as that’s where all our time and effort is going. Eventually we are retiring Stream (Classic).

Https://aka.ms/newstream
https://aka.ms/streamportals

Nope, it's worse with the overlays, but it's definitely darker in any case.   On the same monitor it is significantly darker...