Download original video as an mp4

Copper Contributor

Hi! I created some videos in my stream and need to download them as either a .mp4, .mov, or .avi type of file. Right now it's only downloading as a .webm file. How do I fix this?

31 Replies

@descapa_msft who uses .webm anyway?!

Yes we can convert the file into another format, but why not go to where your customers are?

No-one uses .webm anyway. Make life easier for your customers and make the change.

Make it easy for your customers!

@Wim_Groffils  that worked perfect. Thank you. Didn't require a trim either. :)

Please start adding your votes and feedback to this idea in our Ideas Forum. Please add the reasons why you need the video in MP4 format and what are you doing with it after recording that requires a different format.

https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/97ac5d0b-1d8d-ed11-a81b-6045bdaf6a9e
We have a user who has made a screen recording in Stream (on SharePoint). He then downloads in order to pull into a video editing program to make further edits (since that capability is not currently available in Stream on SP). It is a .webm file. The Microsoft Video editor doesn't allow this file format to be added to a project. User also could not import into Adobe Premiere Pro. Tried renaming the file to use .mp4 format. Can add into the Video editor but once within the program, the file doesn't work. **Ideally the Microsoft Video Editor would be able to handle the .webm file which was generated from SharePoint**. Any other options other than a 3rd party software tool to convert to another format?????
Paying for the adobe codecs.
You can convert it to mp4 using VLC Media Player (an open-source video player from videolan.org). I just did this and it worked.

• Download the app, install it, and launch. Download VLC.
• Go to Media and pick Convert/Save.
• Click Add and select a file for conversion. Hit Convert/Save.
• Open the list of formats in the Profile section and pick Video – MP4.
• Hit Browse and choose a folder for export.
• Rename the file
• Hit Start and wait for the conversion to complete.

@descapa_msft I am trying to edit the output in Microsoft's' "Video Editor" software that is preinstalled on my work laptop.

However the trimming option prior to downloading still results in a .webm file for me :(

Renaming the extension works if all I want to do is play the file. However, the Video Editor will not accept this.

I only want it here so that I can add some basic title cards at the beginning and the end and as section dividers, splitting up the video.

MP4 would clearly be more useful as a universally accepted file type, particularly across Microsoft's own video software estate it seems. Very frustrating.

Hi! A bit late answer on your question, but i struggle with this in the new Stream app where the trim function is no longer available.

My way of working with a simple video guide in old Stream.
Step 1. Do recordings of the complete guide that's mayby going to be 5 to 10 minutes long. It can be necessary to do more than one video session to get it right or to remove parts in a session when doing errors or bloopers.
Step 2. Trim the videos to MP4 format, so they get editable in Windows Fotos.
Step 3. Compose the video and save as a new output file.

Background... I cant install other video editors on my computer do to company policys and i simply not doing this so often. The type of instructions i do is for backfill education and backup situations.
I was trying to bring a video I downloaded from Stream into Clipchamp. However, Clipchamp doesn't recognise webm format.

@Rj__M if you go back in and edit the video while it is still in Microsoft stream and remove, say, the last 1 or 2 seconds of the video and then save and then download, it will download in MP4 format.

Another words, you only have to make one small change and then save it and it will save in a usable format. 

Give it a try and then let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Tony

I found I had to be in Stream Classic, but that worked perfectly, thank you.
I found that Teams meeting recordings were downloading in VTT format. This was resolved by clicking on the recordings location link, which took me to the Sharepoint folder, and downloading from there - which gave me the original MP4 format.