SOLVED

Disable Microsoft Stream

Brass Contributor

Please can you let me know if there is away to disable Microsoft Stream whilst we evaluate it?

11 Replies

Hi Alex,

This has come up a few times since yesterday. We will discuss how best to enable this and update the forum.

Thanks for posting a note here and really appreciate you trying out Microsoft Stream.

Cheers

Vishal

Hi Vishal, 

With that and the recomendation in another thread to Office 365 Users to continue to use Office 365 Video, it will be valuable to have a disable option that does not also disable other sign ups like RDS and Power BI. 

Thanks!

@Bhowell we are looking into it and seeing how best to address that. Thanks for the feedback.

best response confirmed by anonymous-user (Silver Contributor)
Solution

You can disable it by using the "AllowAdHocSubscriptions" parameter via powershell.

https://www.itunity.com/article/microsoft-introduces-preview-stream-video-service-3490

@dmadelung, I appreciate the feedback, but that will also disable other ad hoc sign-ups like RDS and PowerBI which I do not see a reason to do. I believe the Stream Staff is looking for an approach to disable Stream only. 

@vishal It would actually be even better to disable stream for the organization and have a way to enable on a by user basis. 

I say this because we have a group of Office 365 Video power users who have played a role in being the voice of a lot of the improvements that Stream is ideally going to bring. Those folks are disappointed that it means they will wait even longer for Stream and O365V to merge. However, they still would be valuable testers to provide feedback to the Stream team. So while we want to disable for the organization to avoid confusion - it would be great to let the super users get in and play. 

@dmadelung, I appreciate the feedback, but that will also disable other ad hoc sign-ups like RDS and PowerBI which I do not see a reason to do. I believe the Stream Staff is looking for an approach to disable Stream only. 

@vishal It would actually be even better to disable stream for the organization and have a way to enable on a by user basis. 

I say this because we have a group of Office 365 Video power users who have played a role in being the voice of a lot of the improvements that Stream is ideally going to bring. Those folks are disappointed that it means they will wait even longer for Stream and O365V to merge. However, they still would be valuable testers to provide feedback to the Stream team. So while we want to disable for the organization to avoid confusion - it would be great to let the super users get in and play. 

@BhowellI I understand that it will do more than simply disable stream but this is the only way that I am aware to disable it as it exists today.  I also fully agree that this is not a great approach but technically would get the job done until a better solution is available.

I would agree that the ability to have this activated/available by user would be great especially for testing and review.

@Bhowell - yes, we are thinking of ways of enabling what you are asking. Thank you so much for sharing and I hope we can work on bringing the two solutions closer even faster to minimize the disappointment. In the meantime, we would love all the feedback we can get Smiley Happy.

Any update on disabling Stream specifically (not all ad hoc subscriptions) and/or allowing on a per user basis so that we can test? 

We want to get ahead of this so that Stream doesn't detract from the adoption of Office 365 Video Portal which we have just moved to production 2 months ago.

best response confirmed by Phani Boppana (Microsoft)
Solution

Yesterday, we posted a blog about how admins can enable or disable Microsoft Stream for everyone in the organization. Here is a link to the blog post explaining the details - Manage Microsoft Stream: Simplify Employee Signup

In addition, here are the direct links to the articles as well

Thank you for your feedback and please keep it coming!

@Alex Vincent 

You can block sign-ups for micorosoft Stream 

reference : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/disable-user-organization

2 best responses

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by anonymous-user (Silver Contributor)
Solution

You can disable it by using the "AllowAdHocSubscriptions" parameter via powershell.

https://www.itunity.com/article/microsoft-introduces-preview-stream-video-service-3490

View solution in original post

best response confirmed by Phani Boppana (Microsoft)
Solution

Yesterday, we posted a blog about how admins can enable or disable Microsoft Stream for everyone in the organization. Here is a link to the blog post explaining the details - Manage Microsoft Stream: Simplify Employee Signup

In addition, here are the direct links to the articles as well

Thank you for your feedback and please keep it coming!

View solution in original post