Changes to Teams meeting recordings for EDU A1 & “Recording failed to upload to Stream” error

Microsoft

Hello everyone - I wanted to post a note about a change for Microsoft 365 Education A1 customers which went into effect this week.  This message was posted on the M365 Admin Message Center back on 21-July-2020 as MC218976 (pasted at the bottom of this post), but I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the change.

In summary, Teams meeting recordings initiated by an A1 licensee will no longer automatically upload to Microsoft Stream. Note that A1 customers can still record Teams meetings, meeting attendees can download and watch the recording, and the recording can be uploaded to Stream, Teams, SharePoint, or OneDrive (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/portal-upload-teams-meeting-recording).  

Additionally, as this is rolling out, some customers have reported seeing “Recording failed to upload to Stream” errors, while others are not.  Our apologies for this misleading error message. When this A1 change went live, an update to the message logic and text shown was being rolled out, but it has not reached all M365 users yet. This will be resolved in the upcoming days when the update reaches all customers.

If you have any other questions or comments, please post them below.

------------------------------------------------------------

For customers with EDU A1 and A1 Plus licenses, Teams meeting recordings will no longer automatically upload to Microsoft Stream effective August 20, 2020. 

Key points

• Timing: August 20, 2020
  • Roll-out: tenant level
  • Control type: user control
  • Action: review and assess

How this will affect your organization

This change is expected to last through the end of 2020, and Microsoft will provide updates for further changes. Meetings recorded before August 15 are not affected by this change.

Following this change, your end users will continue to be able to record Teams meetings.

• To playback the meeting recording, participants will need to download the file from the chat window.
  • To share or archive a recording, meeting participants will need to download the file and then upload it to Teams, Stream, SharePoint, or OneDrive.

Meeting recordings will be available in the meeting chat for a period of 21 days after the meeting. After 21 days, the meeting recordings will no longer be available for download from the chat.

The download dialog includes the expiration date.

img.png

What you need to do to prepare

Review the change and consider how to advise your end users of the change. Learn how to upload a video to Stream.

------------------------------------------------------------

30 Replies
Hello,

I can't download the videos of my class that ocurred just now, neither my alumni.

We see the message "Recording failed to upload to stream", but it doesn't work even in chat.

Please, I need to solve this problem until tomorrow class.

Thanks and waiting.

@Joao_Sayd sorry to hear this.  You said that you see the "Recording failed to upload to Stream" in the Teams chat, is this correct?

There should be a download button right there on the chat screen and hitting download will have Teams start the download and the file will end up in your Downloads folder (where other files you download from Teams appear and also typically what Chrome & Edge use). 

Do you not see the download button like this screen?  Did you look in your Downloads folder?  

img1.png

If you didn't see this error what do you see in Teams?  A screenshot woudl help.  Thank you

Yes, i see the download button. But when i make the download, the file has 0kb or other little size not compatible with video files. It doesn't even open in video player.

I'm sending the screenshot.

By the way, I chose to receive an email when you answer me here, but it dindn't arrive.

@descapa_msft Once I downloaded the recorded meeting from the Chat area and uploaded it into Stream, I would like to delete it from the Chat area and make the recorded video accessible only from the Stream. How can I do that?

@Joao_Sayd I am sorry to see this, I once had an earlier issue like this and I had to check both of the files, see how in the chat there were two recordings in there, I think that indicated something happened on with the recording.

I would recommend working to open a support ticket so the Teams folks could look into this.  The meeting recordings are generated and stored by Teams, Stream only received a well-formed video file, in your example it looks like the file is still in Teams.  I would open a support requests to them please.  Hope this helps.

@rmatiasjr The ability to delete from the chat is a feature request for Teams.  I believe they are aware of this and it is on their backlog.  I don't know the exact details and I would post over on the Teams tech community to ask them and they can report back on this.  I would include a screenshot to help them know what you are referring to.  Hopefully they can give you an update on that item which is on their backlog.  If you need anything else please let me know.

@descapa_msft 

Morning.

Does this change affect users with Microsoft 365 A3 for faculty licences, or is it just those staff on A1 licences?

Thanks.

Martin.

@descapa_msft Hi, this question is a little adjacent to the original post, but I can't find any clarification elsewhere and the topic is close enough. I have a Teams license through my community college. I recorded two class sessions in Teams on 8/27 and still have not received a download link for either as of today (8/30) (screenshot attached).

I did however receive download links as you describe here for two sessions I recorded just two days before (8/27), and the turnaround was fairly short, under an hour.

Is there currently a queue for processing Teams recordings? If so, what is the average turnaround time? The recordings are on the longer side (1.5 hours) and use closed captions. Could either of these affect the processing time? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 19.49.54.png

@descapa_msft I don't really catch the meaning of this change. It is turning back to the old way. I can already imagine education tenant yelling at this unwanted change. 

Is there a specific reason ? 

Will users be able to download the meetings from phones and tablets? At the moment I am not seeing this option in the chat. Not even a notification that anything was recorded.

@descapa_msft We had a user have the recording from today (9/2/2020) save as 8/8/2020 and could not download.   I did not have this issue.

@descapa_msft Is there any possibilities to prevent students downloading the video, just the teachers can dowload? We would like to upload it to Stream where students can only watch it, but can not download and send to others.

@tamasivanyi / @descapa_msft - yes this is going to create an issue where students can access the videos; is there anything within the settings that we can tick etc. to stop students being able to download. Surely this is a GDPR/Data protection issue?

@Laurent_35 

Bandwidth. Automatic stream uploads eat bandwidth, causing outages.

So, to summarize, starting August 20th recorded meetings are no longer uploaded in Stream automatically, for A1 licenses.

Moreover, there is no way to remove the recorded video file hanging out in chat with the message “Recording failed to upload to Stream”, at least as of now. (I believe it's 21 days until they disappear)

We found out that upgrading to Office 365 A3 ($3.25/mt) does preserve/restore the automatically upload capability, and started to upgrade staff assisting with recording classes to A3. You don't need to upgrade the entire class, just the person who records. I couldn't find this mentioned in license comparison, but it works. So test it and do it gradually.

After upgrade, don't forget to assign the new A3 license to the person who clicks the recording button, and remove the A1. As with any license, this can be rotated also, but it does take several hours to activate.

Good luck!~

@bill2KX Schools will struggle to find that money in current climates. If there was a simple way of setting it so only staff members can download videos to re-upload to Stream etc. and block students from doing it we could work with the changes to the A1 licence.

@descapa_msft 

Is there a way to delete the file once it is available?

@climbingadam There isn't anything that I can see that allows you (even as a Team owner), however I do not have overall admin access to Teams so there could be something in there. If that was an option it would make things easier (and cheaper!) for us.