SOLVED

Basic Stream video statistics

Copper Contributor

Hi all, 

I've been reading some threads regarding Stream API to see whether it's possible to get some basic statistics about the videos uploaded in Stream. I checked the roadmap and I see something is planned for Q4-2020 but maybe it's referred to something more extended than what I'm looking for.

What I wanted to know is if there is a way to know number of views for videos, most viewed videos and so on; not anything related to user  necessarily.

I would appreciate if somebody can tell me whether is possible.

Thank you.

6 Replies

Hi @jossa

You should be able to see basic statistics for videos in the Stream Admin Portal at https://web.microsoftstream.com/

As you can see from this screenshot of a GA tenant under My Content > videos (Your Videos) or Discover > Videos (the orgs videos) you can see a defined stats area with views, likes and comments. You can sort them by views, likes, relevance and trending 

Slks.PNG

The roadmap item you are referring to is about enhanced analytics at a video level so on a per video basis. It would be good to see a few more stats at the tenant video in the future though, such as avg video length, avg video size, cumulative length and size, sentiment, etc. 

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

Hi @Christopher Hoard ,

Actually I was wondering if there is away to get these basic stats from Stream Admin Portal calling an API. Do you know if this is supposed to be covered by the roadmap item?

There is a page where I want to display a list of most viewed videos, just that ;)

Thank you!

best response confirmed by jossa (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @jossa

The information on the API roadmap item

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=25197

Is pretty sparse, and, AFAIK, no official information has been released which says whether this is going to be part of it. There wasn't any official announcement at Ignite 2019 about the API. So I can't say with any certainty.

My recommendation would be to watch the roadmap item, and the notification centre when it gets close to launching. If it's not part of it, then you'll need to add it as a uservoice item within the ideas section of this stream community. Hopefully, it will be there as it would be cool to make dashboards out of the stats

Best, Chris
Thank you Chris!

You can pull deeper analytics of video content via Office 365 audit logs. This Microsoft Stream Q&A might be able to help you with what you're looking for @jossa 

Yeah, for sure you can get to these through the Security and Compliance centre and look to leverage the Office Management API for up to 90 days. You could also look to get user data out of the Stream Management Portal (Admin Settings) - although that would be manual it does surface good insights on individual users and dashboard them through Power BI.

However, Stream API's have been promised for a while and it would be good to see them surface soon.

Best, Chris
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jossa (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi @jossa

The information on the API roadmap item

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=25197

Is pretty sparse, and, AFAIK, no official information has been released which says whether this is going to be part of it. There wasn't any official announcement at Ignite 2019 about the API. So I can't say with any certainty.

My recommendation would be to watch the roadmap item, and the notification centre when it gets close to launching. If it's not part of it, then you'll need to add it as a uservoice item within the ideas section of this stream community. Hopefully, it will be there as it would be cool to make dashboards out of the stats

Best, Chris

View solution in original post