SOLVED

Simplest way to get email notifications for Analytics Rules

Iron Contributor

Taking over for a recent employee departure and totally new to the Azure Sentinel space. A couple years of Azure experience so I can get around.

I see that the previous admin enabled a bunch of analytics rules and I want to get notifications for some of them. For instance, 'Azure VM Deletion' is something I'd like an email about. I don't see anything in the rule to enable alert notifications.  Thoughts?

TIA

~DGM~

4 Replies
best response confirmed by DGMalcolm (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The easiest way would be to create a small playbook that generates and sends an email on incident/alert generation. There is an example here - https://github.com/Azure/Azure-Sentinel/tree/master/Playbooks/Send-email-with-formatted-incident-rep... (I haven't used it personally but there are a heap of examples around).

Then in your analytics rule create an automation rule that triggers the playbook on alert generation.
Great, thank you. This looks entirely doable - even by a rookie like me.

@m_zorich Do you have this playbook by any chance? I had a edited version of this one myself where I added another row to show entities but deleted the whole playbook by mistake when deleted the resource group. Now I can't find the original version of this playbook anymore. 

You should be able to find that playbook in "Sentinel SOAR Essentials" in the Content Hub.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DGMalcolm (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The easiest way would be to create a small playbook that generates and sends an email on incident/alert generation. There is an example here - https://github.com/Azure/Azure-Sentinel/tree/master/Playbooks/Send-email-with-formatted-incident-rep... (I haven't used it personally but there are a heap of examples around).

Then in your analytics rule create an automation rule that triggers the playbook on alert generation.

View solution in original post