SOLVED

On-Prem Firewall Syslogs from Log Forwarder VM into Sentinel

Copper Contributor

I have followed all the documentation for building the log forwarder VM (Ubunutu) and configuring the Syslog Data Collector.  Syslog events from the actual VM are making it into Sentinel no problem, however the Syslog events we have sent from an on-premises firewall (Protectli) to the Log Forwarder VM are not making it into Sentinel.  Below is a screenshot showing the logs in question.  The logs in question are coming into the VM on TCP Port 514.

Any ideas what I need to do here or what I can try?

vhusker1507_0-1600352374751.png

1 Reply
best response confirmed by vhusker1507 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@vhusker1507 I had a similar problem in my test lab.  I realised that I needed to enable each syslog 'facility' category that I wanted the agent to collect.  Once I had examined the incoming packets at the syslog collector (using tcpdump if I remember) I noticed that they were coming in labelled as facility 'local0' or 'local7' and these weren't enabled on my Sentinel instance.

Within the associated log analytics workspace, check under advanced settings\data\syslog and ensure that you have the appropriate facilities listed to match your incoming packets (image attached).  If the correct ones arent listed then they get dropped.

Hope this helps.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by vhusker1507 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@vhusker1507 I had a similar problem in my test lab.  I realised that I needed to enable each syslog 'facility' category that I wanted the agent to collect.  Once I had examined the incoming packets at the syslog collector (using tcpdump if I remember) I noticed that they were coming in labelled as facility 'local0' or 'local7' and these weren't enabled on my Sentinel instance.

Within the associated log analytics workspace, check under advanced settings\data\syslog and ensure that you have the appropriate facilities listed to match your incoming packets (image attached).  If the correct ones arent listed then they get dropped.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post