Log Analytics Gateway

Copper Contributor

Hi folks

Some clarification needed please.

I want to ingest data from my on-prem Windows computers to Azure Sentinel.

I understand that I can use a Log Analytics Gateway (LAG) on-prem to act as a HTTP proxy/forwarder to the Azure Log Analytics Workspace (and subsequently Azure Sentinel).

How do I tell my on-prem Windows computers to use / go via the LAG? There is only an option to put in the Workspace ID.

Once installed, do I configure the proxy settings in the standalone OMS Agent on the Windows server to use the IP address and port of the on-prem LAG? 

Also, does the LAG need the standalone OMS agent installing as well?

thanks

3 Replies
1. Install the Gateway
"On the Port and proxy address page:
a. Enter the TCP port number to be used for the gateway. Setup uses this port number to configure an inbound rule on Windows Firewall. The default value is 8080."
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-sentinel/log-analytics-gateway/m-p/2280290

2. Configure Agents with Proxy set to the Gateway name and its port
UI: "If the computer needs to communicate through a proxy server to the Log Analytics service, click Advanced and provide the URL and port number of the proxy server. "
PS: "OPINSIGHTS_PROXY_URL URI for the proxy to use"
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/agents/agent-windows#install-agent-using-comman...
The given answer just links back to this page and 2nd link is how to intall the agent to talk directly to Azure. Is there a detailed anser to the question of configuring the agent to send logs via the gateway?
After 2 Years, I have one more Question :)

Log Analytics Legacy Agent will be deprecated on August 2024 and in part:
2. Configure Agents with Proxy set to the Gateway name and its port
UI: "If the computer needs to communicate through a proxy server to the Log Analytics service, click Advanced and provide the URL and port number of the proxy server. "

- So It means that I need Log Analytics Legacy Agent on Windows in all situations.
- AMA does not support Log Analytics Gateway connection?!

Thanks in Advance!